Obama; The New "McGovern"?

Mr. Shaman

(Don't get too overly-excited, Obama-fans. Many of us have seen this movie, before....and, your guy's got a loooooong political-career, ahead-of-him.)

"For Democrats of a certain age, there is no figure more haunting than George McGovern, who ran for president pleading, "Come home, America," but instead was sent home himself with just 38 percent of the vote.

Among those who worry that the lessons of 1972 may still spell trouble for Democrats in 2008 is none other than … George McGovern. He is 84 now, is as opposed to the Iraq war as he was to the one in Vietnam -- and is paying close attention to the race for president.

"I'm not sure that an anti-war Democrat can win," McGovern said in an interview. "We haven't proved that yet."

"Some people point to the fact that the war in Vietnam was dreadfully unpopular," he said, "but that when I came out for an immediate withdrawal, it helped me win the nomination but not the general election. And there may be some truth about that."

But some political analysts say they believe the McGovern experience could be repeated again, as the party's presidential candidates compete to win the favor of anti-war Democrats while leaving themselves vulnerable to charges of weakness in a general election.

Among top-tier Democrats, it is Clinton's maneuvering on Iraq that has drawn the most attention -- and the most criticism -- from people on both sides who see calculation rather than principle guiding her.

In the past year, she has advocated stances she once opposed, both on a set timetable for withdrawal and in utilizing the "power of the purse" to end the war in Iraq. But last month, at a Take Back America conference of liberal activists, she offended some by treading a careful rhetorical line.

"The American military has succeeded," Clinton declared. "It is the Iraqi government that has failed."

That drew boos from the hall. Clinton's rhetoric seemed "almost calculated to draw a negative response" before the liberal audience, observed David Gergen, who has served in four presidential administrations. "That's a very confident campaign," he added."

Werbung:
Obama the Manchurian Candidate.
Nahhhhhhhhhhhh......he's merely the next, new trendy person (to vote-for), for today's 20-something (spawn of ReRon Reagan's family-values), robotoids; history-challenged, but still feeling relevant. :rolleyes:

Nahhhhhhhhhhhh......he's merely the next, new trendy person (to vote-for), for today's 20-something (spawn of ReRon Reagan's family-values), robotoids; history-challenged, but still feeling relevant. :rolleyes:

Obama is a lot closer to the new Kennedy, in the way he carries himself, and his voter appeal.

both Kennedy's were assassinated.

That's true... but they stood up for some very important things along the way. You can't let the fear of some crazy redneck rule your life.

You know the old saying... Whether you think you can or think you can't... you're right! I don't know but I'm pretty sure he thinks he can!!!

That's true... but they stood up for some very important things along the way. You can't let the fear of some crazy redneck rule your life.

You know the old saying... Whether you think you can or think you can't... you're right! I don't know but I'm pretty sure he thinks he can!!!

Lets not forget, Robert Kennedy would have been elected president if hadn't have been killed.

In what way? The fact that he attended a Muslim school as a child is irrelevant. Anyway, he's now a full fledged Christian, he passes the foolish religious litmus test for being president.

he's a faux Christian going to a controversial church...
his father is a Kenyan Muslim, and his mother is Indonesian. he has an upbringing that is strongly Islamic. that doesn't disappear.

if he wasn't a Christian he would have never become a Senator.

he's a faux Christian going to a controversial church...
his father is a Kenyan Muslim, and his mother is Indonesian. he has an upbringing that is strongly Islamic. that doesn't disappear.

if he wasn't a Christian he would have never become a Senator.

So what? What exactly are you implying? C'mon now, come right out and say it.

So what? What exactly are you implying? C'mon now, come right out and say it.

I think I was rather clear.
he's a faux Christian. his Islamic background is apparent in his deliberate actions in not recognizing idols, when he didn't cover his heart with his hand during the national anthem and wearing a flag lapel pin.

most people who don't know Islamic tradition and culture would never know the difference, most Americans think he's a black man and Oprah's friend.
he's not. he's multicultural. so why is he hiding that?

I think I was rather clear.
he's a faux Christian. his Islamic background is apparent in his deliberate actions in not recognizing idols, when he didn't cover his heart with his hand during the national anthem and wearing a flag lapel pin.
So what? Only the right wing cares about such nationalistic nonsense. He demonstrates an independence not apparent in many of the other candidates. That should be commended, not condemned.

bewithched said:
most people who don't know Islamic tradition and culture would never know the difference, most Americans think he's a black man and Oprah's friend.
he's not. he's multicultural. so why is he hiding that?

He's not hiding it. That's why religious bigots have jumped on it.

Werbung:
So what? Only the right wing cares about such nationalistic nonsense. He demonstrates an independence not apparent in many of the other candidates. That should be commended, not condemned.

He's not hiding it. That's why religious bigots have jumped on it.

oh yeah, getting Oprah to represent him as a black man wasn't too much misinformation to the average American, ha.

I could care less what color he is, but I do care that he is related by closer degrees than other candidates to an enemy of the US which is Islam.

Back