Poor Kids and College

Julsa

I really don't understand why kids get punished for their parents' mistakes.

I'm 18 and supposed to be going to college in the fall. I've wanted nothing more my entire life than to go to college and make something of myself.

My parents lied to me about their credit. They tried to cosign for my college loans, but were denied. My extended family is pretty much in the same situation, and I got almost nothing in financial aid because my parents make so much money (even though they're thousands of dollars in debt).

I have so many friends in this same situation. No one can cosign, and we don't have credit. Why should we have to put college off for years just to build credit? It's almost impossible anyway, with jobs for high school grads (or anyone really) lacking so much (especially in my area - Upstate New York).

Werbung:
I know some people who have met with success by leaving their dependent status behind, getting full time jobs and places to live, and relying on Fed money through FAFSA to pay for school. I've seen it work.

There are always state and community schools too. I don't know how things work in New York but here in MA if you go to a community college for two years and pass with high enough grades, they'll pay your tuition to attend a four year institute for your remaining two years to earn a Bachelor's Degree. It's a pretty sweet deal; you can keep living at home and still get a part-time (or full-time) job to pay for your classes - and it's a lot easier than working yourself to death to stay eligible for FAFSA.

There is one last option - scholarships. I have no idea what kind of a student you are but this site has a number of scholarship oppurtunities that appeal to people of every academic pallette. Give it a look-see - it could potentially be very helpful.

I really don't understand why kids get punished for their parents' mistakes.

I'm 18 and supposed to be going to college in the fall. I've wanted nothing more my entire life than to go to college and make something of myself.

My parents lied to me about their credit. They tried to cosign for my college loans, but were denied. My extended family is pretty much in the same situation, and I got almost nothing in financial aid because my parents make so much money (even though they're thousands of dollars in debt).

I have so many friends in this same situation. No one can cosign, and we don't have credit. Why should we have to put college off for years just to build credit? It's almost impossible anyway, with jobs for high school grads (or anyone really) lacking so much (especially in my area - Upstate New York).

You are not being "punished" for your parents' mistakes. Your options are being limited by their behavior.

Seriously, I sympathize with your situation. I know it has to be a huge disappointment to discover the truth at this point. And it's a tragedy that your parents lied to you. Was it actually that, or did they simply think it was a non-issue?

Stretch your boundaries. Look at other options outside your own back yard. That's one thing about this country - the opportunities are out there for those willing to seek them. It may not be what you'd planned, but it may be exactly what you need.

There are many very accomplished, well-educated people in this country who never got one cent of aid, scholarships or assistance. It can be hard work, but I guess that will be decided by if you choose to let go of the victim mentality and take charge of your present, and try to maximize your future potential and possibilities.

It may have been easier if you could simply sign with your parents and have the funds, but I hope you'll enjoy the profound sense of self-accomplishment and joy for having done this on your own.

You are not being "punished" for your parents' mistakes. Your options are being limited by their behavior.

Seriously, I sympathize with your situation. I know it has to be a huge disappointment to discover the truth at this point. And it's a tragedy that your parents lied to you. Was it actually that, or did they simply think it was a non-issue?

Stretch your boundaries. Look at other options outside your own back yard. That's one thing about this country - the opportunities are out there for those willing to seek them. It may not be what you'd planned, but it may be exactly what you need.

There are many very accomplished, well-educated people in this country who never got one cent of aid, scholarships or assistance. It can be hard work, but I guess that will be decided by if you choose to let go of the victim mentality and take charge of your present, and try to maximize your future potential and possibilities.

It may have been easier if you could simply sign with your parents and have the funds, but I hope you'll enjoy the profound sense of self-accomplishment and joy for having done this on your own.

What a bunch of horse ****. No one gets a good education in this country any more without lots and lots of money. So. unless your family is wealthy, you go into debt. That's reality. Pompous platitudes about self reliance won't help anyone get ahead.

What a bunch of horse ****. No one gets a good education in this country any more without lots and lots of money. So. unless your family is wealthy, you go into debt. That's reality. Pompous platitudes about self reliance won't help anyone get ahead.

That's not true. My family was not wealthy with "lots and lots of money" and I believe that I still got a good education.

Student grants and financial aid are viable options for everyone.

I agree with the OP in principle.
But in all honesty, I don't see making access to college easier as the solution.
Rather what we must do is improve the quality of education at the primary level so that all kids are ready for college and more able to get in... Then we can start talking more about the validity of making college accessible.
Access to college means little if kids are not ready. That's one reason why affirmative action is not a good policy.

One problem, aside from just class-based variation in school quality, is that poor parents without college education are clueless as to how to help their kids prepare. All schools should have programs to help direct kids toward planning their futures, finding their niche, and preparing for their lives after primary school.
Until then, playing with college admission and access is just a band-aid.

I agree with the OP in principle.
But in all honesty, I don't see making access to college easier as the solution.
Rather what we must do is improve the quality of education at the primary level so that all kids are ready for college and more able to get in... Then we can start talking more about the validity of making college accessible.
Access to college means little if kids are not ready. That's one reason why affirmative action is not a good policy.

One problem, aside from just class-based variation in school quality, is that poor parents without college education are clueless as to how to help their kids prepare. All schools should have programs to help direct kids toward planning their futures, finding their niche, and preparing for their lives after primary school.
Until then, playing with college admission and access is just a band-aid.

Right. Let's keep those poor people down until we improve primary education. More horse ****.

Right. Let's keep those poor people down until we improve primary education. More horse ****.

Ok Beetle, then give us your solution. I think Java has a good point. The last thing this country can afford right now is a significant drop in the standards of our already degenerating universities. The way to do it is to improve standards at the lower levels (and this does not entail more money).

A parallel would be today with the military trying to increase the number of Special Forces and Navy SEALs. They way their doing it is not by lowering the standards for becoming a Green Beret or SEAL, but by making sure people are more prepared.

Not really my point.
I do think it's a good idea to increase access to college education.
But I just think that if we don't improve primary education, we are not accomplishing anything.
It's not a massive problem if we fix access to college and then go on to fix primary education. The question is... will we?

What a brilliant response! Actually, there are TONS of people in this country getting good educations, often funded by scholarships, grants, low interest government student loans and direct public funding. Lots of money MAY be spent, but often NOT out of the pockets of students.

I never said anything about not going into debt. How you got that out of my post, I've no idea. And reality is that excellent educations are to be had in other places than the major universities. Often at lower costs, and affords a great opportunity to get at least the basic, foundational classes under your belt.

Unfortunately, what you label as "pompous platitudes about self reliance" were words of encouragement for a young adult who has just felt she'd had the rug pulled from underneath her.

Werbung:
Ok Beetle, then give us your solution. I think Java has a good point. The last thing this country can afford right now is a significant drop in the standards of our already degenerating universities. The way to do it is to improve standards at the lower levels (and this does not entail more money).

A parallel would be today with the military trying to increase the number of Special Forces and Navy SEALs. They way their doing it is not by lowering the standards for becoming a Green Beret or SEAL, but by making sure people are more prepared.

Java, USMC, excellent points!

Back