Republicans against debt...but not really...

Re: Republicans against debt...but not realy...

I understand the MAD argument... my point is simply there is no proof to back up it... and when people continually argue that a limited missile defense structure is going to somehow ruin MAD (assuming you buy into it to begin with) I just have to wonder what they are basing that on..especially since a limited missile defense will not be capable of stopping a major attack.

A nuclear holocaust would set the world back yes.. but what scenario are you envisioning in which a nuclear holocaust will occur?

Such an end to human civilization is much less likely now than it was during the days of MAD and the Soviet Union. It could happen, should a rival superpower decide to invest heavily in nuclear arms, but we're a lot safer than we used to be. What is more likely now is a nuclear device falling into the hands of terrorists and resulting in the destruction of a city.

Werbung:

There is proof that a missile shield can do the job for which is has been designed.. it is in the testing of the system. The system is not perfect (as tests indicate), and there are numerous things I would change about it, but some level of protection is better than none.

Our missile defense structure is not designed to prevent a large attack, but our missile defense structure can defend against a small scale attack.

And who is going to launch a small scale nuclear attack...knowing it would be wiped off the face of the earth? And of those who may...what are the odds it would be a missile and not much smaller planted bomb?

Also if we are only talking about a small missile difference against say a few missiles...that does not change the idea behind MAD anyway...As MAD is used normally for 2 nations with the nuclear power to destroy each other. If 2 nations each had 1 nuke...Mad would not apply ( not counting allies) as there is no Mutually assured Destruction.

Useing the 2 most likey "small" nuclear attacks...North Korea and Iran..

North Korea...everything there leadership has done, and always does...screams...I want to keep power at any costs....As nuts as he is, that part has always been consistent...meaning that the only time he may think about such a attack , is if he felt he was going to lose it all anyway...and no other military leader stopped him...somehow I am guessing there is not much in the way of a 2 man rule in North Korea...but even in this case...ignoring that none of its missiles are proven to be able to hit the US, lets just say they can...most likely by the time Kim has come to this idea...the US should have taken out all missile systems known in NK...

Also the more likely point of attack would be South Korea, Seoul...would it not make more sense to use short range missile...while firing off many non nuclear as well to overwhelm the system... while using artillery and other means to also attack the deference...making it simple a roll of the dice numbers game? Also factoring in at some point...if advanced enough nuclear artillery...

As far as iran goes...I don't count Religious nuts in MAD...do to the fact they could be so nuts as to think the end of the world is Gods will...thus why I fear Pakistan with the nukes...about as much as Iran...but not the Russians, or even North Koreans.

People don't know history. :rolleyes: During the cuban missile crisis, fidel castro urged khruschev to attack the US from cuba with nukes, saying it was worth it to him to get rid of the US even if it meant the destruction of cuba. Leftwingers are always lecturing people about how foreigners don't think like us, but then they do such as project american rationality into the minds of the leaders of the closed insular north korea, a country which regularly starves millions of its own people to death in the name of ideological purity.

And who is going to launch a small scale nuclear attack...knowing it would be wiped off the face of the earth? And of those who may...what are the odds it would be a missile and not much smaller planted bomb?

Missile defense is not solely to defense against "nuclear" missile attacks...There are numerous scenarios I can envision right now in which a small scale missile attack will not end with anyone being "wiped off the face of the earth."

As for MAD, a limited missile defense system would not upset that structure, if you believe we ought to be following it.

Such an end to human civilization is much less likely now than it was during the days of MAD and the Soviet Union. It could happen, should a rival superpower decide to invest heavily in nuclear arms, but we're a lot safer than we used to be. What is more likely now is a nuclear device falling into the hands of terrorists and resulting in the destruction of a city.

"During the days of MAD"? MAD continues to resonate throughout Washington as gospel truth, and politicians continue to make arguments based on it... the "days of MAD" are still very much upon us sadly.

As for your scenario, I don't disagree, but that is not really related to the debate over the validity of MAD.

"During the days of MAD"? MAD continues to resonate throughout Washington as gospel truth, and politicians continue to make arguments based on it... the "days of MAD" are still very much upon us sadly.

As for your scenario, I don't disagree, but that is not really related to the debate over the validity of MAD.

It does take the politicians a while to update their ideas sometimes. MAD ended when the Soviet Union ended. The US and Russia still have nukes, but it is a stretch to say MAD still prevails as the realpolitik of our times.

It does take the politicians a while to update their ideas sometimes. MAD ended when the Soviet Union ended. The US and Russia still have nukes, but it is a stretch to say MAD still prevails as the realpolitik of our times.

give it time to come back, as Russia is making a slow but steady move back to Authoritarianism and will be more and more a issue again soon I fear.

give it time to come back, as Russia is making a slow but steady move back to Authoritarianism and will be more and more a issue again soon I fear.

Which is exactly why pursuing an adversarial relationship with Russia (partly through a new START treaty) is the wrong move.

Which is exactly why pursuing an adversarial relationship with Russia (partly through a new START treaty) is the wrong move.

how will limiting there nukes and being able to better monitor there nuclear material change that for the worse? If we could work with them under Regan in the 80s...I fail to see how doing it now would be worse.

How is agreeing to limit the number of nukes each nation has pursuing an "adversarial relationship"? Wouldn't a new arms race be more adversarial?

how will limiting there nukes and being able to better monitor there nuclear material change that for the worse? If we could work with them under Regan in the 80s...I fail to see how doing it now would be worse.

PLC1 said:
How is agreeing to limit the number of nukes each nation has pursuing an "adversarial relationship"? Wouldn't a new arms race be more adversarial?

These are basically the same question, so I will answer them both here:

Aside from the glaring problems under the treaty of limiting their nuclear weapons, and monitoring their nuclear weapons, I will speak to the issue of furthering an "adversarial" relationship with this treaty.

Ambassador Joseph (who has extensive experience in this arena) makes a better case than I would:

The Obama Administration has stressed the importance of New START to “re-set” the U.S.-Russian relationship. To the extent that the Treaty improves mutual confidence in our bilateral relations, it may make a modest, near term contribution. To the extent the Treaty contributes to the re-establishment of the Cold War relationship we had with the Soviet Union, it will carry a long term cost.

For some in Russia, including in high government positions, the United States is seen and described openly as the adversary. For them, New START serves a number of purposes: it constrains U.S. forces while not encumbering Russian forces; it perpetuates deterrence through the balance of terror and mutual assured destruction; it enhances the status of Russia and restores in part the lost prestige from superpower days; and it once again treats nuclear weapons – the one category of arms on which Russia can compete with the United States – as the principal currency of the relationship.

If we do believe the Cold War is over, and if we want a normal relationship with Russia, we need to move beyond Cold War approaches.

As he pointed out, this TREATY "resets" our relations right back into the Cold War...when we were adversaries. Certainly limiting the spread of nuclear materials etc is important, but we are not pursing nuclear treaties like this with other nuclear powers, such as China, UK, France etc.. why not? Are their nuclear arsenals any less important?

Now, as for a potential new "arms race", that is highly unlikely even without a treaty. The Moscow Treaty remains in effect, and Russia cannot afford to maintain and deploy a large strategic nuclear weapons force.. which is why they are moving towards more tactical weapons (something the treaty ignores).

Additionally, take a look at this exchange between Senator McCain and Air Force General Kevin Chilton, U.S. Strategic Command Commander.

Sen. McCain: General Chilton, do you agree with the unclassified statement in the State Department Verification Assessment that ‘any cheating by the Russians would have little, if any, effect?’

General Chilton: Senator McCain, I do agree with that…

Sen. McCain: Well, what this brings to the casual observer’s mind, General, is if it doesn’t have any consequences if they do any cheating, what’s the point in having a treaty?

It would be akin to putting 10,000 new police on the highways to prevent speeding, but not allowing them to write speeding tickets...

Overall point being, I would agree that we can engage with Russia on the nuclear issue, but a new START Treaty, which reverts us right back into a Cold War enemy mentality is the wrong way to do that.

As an aside:
Even without a new START Treaty, we are already approaching (and so is Russia apparently) the numbers of weapons it will "reduce" us to. Russia is argued to be only 100-150 weapons above to 1,550 limit and with upcoming retirement of legacy systems, will be well below 1,550 with or without START.

As for the US, under President Bush, the US has been trending to well below 2,200 (the Moscow Treaty Limit) as well.

And finally, not to mention, under new counting rules in the new START, both sides could deploy well above the guidelines if they wanted to...not even to mention tactical weapons.

Even without a new START Treaty, we are already approaching (and so is Russia apparently) the numbers of weapons it will "reduce" us to. Russia is argued to be only 100-150 weapons above to 1,550 limit and with upcoming retirement of legacy systems, will be well below 1,550 with or without START.

As for the US, under President Bush, the US has been trending to well below 2,200 (the Moscow Treaty Limit) as well.

And finally, not to mention, under new counting rules in the new START, both sides could deploy well above the guidelines if they wanted to...not even to mention tactical weapons.

That being the case, just what effect does th new treaty have, if any? Why is it necessary at all? Could it simply be a political advantage to Obama, with no real consequences?

If we do believe the Cold War is over, and if we want a normal relationship with Russia, we need to move beyond Cold War approaches.

which would be what, then?

Since both the US and Russia have far more nuclear weapons than any other nations, wouldn't it make sense for both of those nations to severely cut back the number of such weapons? If Russia and the US are not in an adversarial position, who are the weapons to defend against?

Why would we need more missiles than would be necessary to discourage NK, Iran, or some other third world country from launching an attack?

how well has monitoring worked to date ? its a big country, we cant watch everywhere.

Since both the US and Russia have far more nuclear weapons than any other nations, wouldn't it make sense for both of those nations to severely cut back the number of such weapons? If Russia and the US are not in an adversarial position, who are the weapons to defend against?

Why would we need more missiles than would be necessary to discourage NK, Iran, or some other third world country from launching an attack?

Also what possible agreement could the US and France come up with..France you reduce to 100 and we will reduce to 1800?

Seems to me both the US and Russia want to reduce...but regardless of relations don't want to be the only one doing it...this way both get to reduce there amounts, saving both money and giving them political cover to not look like your just doing it yourself and weakening there own status.

Werbung:

how well has monitoring worked to date ? its a big country, we cant watch everywhere.

pretty good, and alot better then none...and yes its a big nation...but we are not looking for hidden stuff...we are looking to make sure what both sides already know about, stays safe...and not say easily accessed by anyone looking to help Bin Ladin or anyone else who wants nuclear material.

Back