Sen. Stevens(R-AK) Indicted!

Bunz

I noticed this has made some national news. There has long been speculation about a possible indictment, well it finally happened today. What a fall from grace from a man who was widely known as Uncle Ted. This more or less an assurance that Democrat Challenger Mark Begich will win the election.
A sad and shameful day for Alaska, that is been a long time coming.

Ted Stevens indicted on corruption charges

By LISA DEMER and RICHARD MAUER
Anchorage Daily News

Published: July 29th, 2008 10:12 AM
Last Modified: July 29th, 2008 10:12 AM

U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens was indicted this morning by a federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., on seven counts of filing false financial disclosures.

With the felony indictment, Stevens, an icon in Alaska politics, becomes by far the biggest politician charged in a broad investigation into corruption of Alaska public officials that began more than four years ago that has so far led to convictions of three state legislators and charges against two others.

The seven-count indictment charges Stevens with making false statements by failing to disclose things of value he received from Veco Corp., an Alaska-based oil services company, and from its chairman, Bill Allen, over an eight-year period. The indictment charges that those included substantial improvements to Stevens' home in Girdwood; automobile exchanges in which he received new vehicles that were worth far more than the old ones he exchanged; and household goods.

At the same time, according to the indictment, Stevens received solicitations for official actions from Allen and other Veco employees, and used his office on behalf of Veco. The federal Ethics in Government Act requires all senators to file financial disclosures statements detailing their transactions during the previous calendar year, including the disclosure of gifts above a specified value and all liabilities greater than $10,000.

Allen, the former Veco CEO, and Rick Smith, a former Veco vice president of community affairs and government relations, pleaded guilty in May 2007 to providing more than $400,000 in corrupt payments to public officials from Alaska.

The charges come almost exactly a year after an FBI and IRS raid on Stevens' home in Girdwood. Renovations in 2000 were overseen by Allen. The home doubled in size. Witnesses with knowledge of Veco's role have reported testifying before grand juries in Anchorage and Washington.

Stevens has said he paid all the bills he was presented, leaving open the question of whether he was billed the entire amount.

Stevens, 84, is the longest-serving Republican in the U.S. Senate. From 2003 to 2007, he was president pro tem. With political power that increased with his longevity, Stevens came to represent Alaska's clout in Congress.

His office has not responded to a request for comment.

Werbung:
I noticed this has made some national news. There has long been speculation about a possible indictment, well it finally happened today. What a fall from grace from a man who was widely known as Uncle Ted. This more or less an assurance that Democrat Challenger Mark Begich will win the election.
A sad and shameful day for Alaska, that is been a long time coming.

I just heard it on the car radio coming home, it is indeed national news. Do you really think Stevens will stay in the race with this hanging over his head?

I just heard it on the car radio coming home, it is indeed national news. Do you really think Stevens will stay in the race with this hanging over his head?

Will he stay in the race? I am not sure, I think he would still win his primary.
Having worked closely with his staff, and him personally a few times, I feel confident in saying that is has always been grouchy and defiant but also beloved in the state. I think this means that Begich will likely win in November. The GOP has lost its stranglehold on Alaska in a major way since 2004. While the POTUS race here will be single digit differential. With McCain taking our 3 electoral votes, now considering this, Obama might be able to pull off a squeaky win. This indictment changes everything.

Both CNN and Fox are covering it. This though, is major news in AK. I mean major. I have been on the phone most of the morning talking about it. The entire state is chattering about it.

Hopefully the Senate will do the right thing and expel him, as the House should have done with all its miscreants (Jefferson springs to mind).

Hopefully the Senate will do the right thing and expel him, as the House should have done with all its miscreants (Jefferson springs to mind).

An indictment is not a conviction. I do not know anything about him, if he is guilty then he is guilty, but he needs to be found guilty first.

An indictment is not a conviction. I do not know anything about him, if he is guilty then he is guilty, but he needs to be found guilty first.

I'm aware of what an indictment is, but Senate rules allow the expulsion of members on the basis of considerably less than conviction.

Even the merest suggestion of impropriety posed by an indictment should result in expulsion.

I'm aware of what an indictment is, but Senate rules allow the expulsion of members on the basis of considerably less than conviction.

Even the merest suggestion of impropriety posed by an indictment should result in expulsion.

I would venture to guess most Senators have been under investigation at some time for something. I do not think he will be expelled unless something else happens or he is convicted.

I would venture to guess most Senators have been under investigation at some time for something. I do not think he will be expelled unless something else happens or he is convicted.

Probably, but most have not been indicted.

And no, he won't be expelled, because the Senate is corrupt, wrong-headed, and self-serving.

Republican Senator Stevens is on the way down & out quick! That will now be an easy seat for the Dems.

I think Stevens is in his eighties so I don't think he really cares all that much about punishment though. From what I heard they have people already convicted of crimes in this matter testifying for the government and a bushel of evidence.

We will see.

Even a halfway decent lawyer should be able to delay this until he dies of old age. Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Werbung:
Back