The Worst President in History?

Phenom

George W. Bush's presidency appears headed for colossal historical disgrace. Barring a cataclysmic event on the order of the terrorist attacks of September 11th, after which the public might rally around the White House once again, there seems to be little the administration can do to avoid being ranked on the lowest tier of U.S. presidents. And that may be the best-case scenario. Many historians are now wondering whether Bush, in fact, will be remembered as the very worst president in all of American history.

Read more here

Werbung:
Oh give me a break. His presidency isn't even over yet and you're calling it the worst ever. That's just comical.

How can you possibly analyze whether Bush's presidency has been successful or not while it's still going on. President Bush's confrontation of terrorism cannot be judged objectively during his term and cannot be accurately measured until we know how his Iraq War and War on Terror turn out -- and the affects it has on this country's long term prosperity.

His presidency won't be judged objectively until the generation of historians about 50 years from now go back and look. If we are a Muslim nation or are undergoing terrorist attacks monthly, then you could say he failed.

But if we are a safe, secure, prospering nation free from the terrorist threat -- then you have to say his presidency was a success as he was the first president to confront terrorism and the threat it poses to this country.

Quite simply, you cannot make an informed opinion of the success of a president until you see the lasting affects of his policy.

Oh give me a break. His presidency isn't even over yet and you're calling it the worst ever. That's just comical.

Actually it's pretty much over. He's a lame duck president without control of Congress any longer. But atleast he's got that nice new Budget Plan that call for 1.5 Billion in cuts to Education while giving 9.7 billion in tax breaks to Cox Cable. 826 MIllion in tax breaks for Nordstrom, while cutting 630 million from Community Service Block Grants. Or my favorite, 32 billion in tax breaks ove the next 10 years for Walmart. and how is that balanced? by cutting 28 billion from Medicaid

A Lame Duck that's ready to be Fried.

Bush is indeed getting closer and closer to being deep fried. He has earned his place in history as being the first Commanding Thief, and he is labeled as a War criminal. I can just picture the Lame Duck justifying his actions when its his time to meet the Creator. The United States have losted many members in our arm forces, and as long as Bush can give the okay..more will be losted.

Actually it's pretty much over. He's a lame duck president without control of Congress any longer. But atleast he's got that nice new Budget Plan that call for 1.5 Billion in cuts to Education while giving 9.7 billion in tax breaks to Cox Cable. 826 MIllion in tax breaks for Nordstrom, while cutting 630 million from Community Service Block Grants. Or my favorite, 32 billion in tax breaks ove the next 10 years for Walmart. and how is that balanced? by cutting 28 billion from Medicaid

I would have to agree about Bush being a lame duck president, although I'm not sure about him being the worst president ever.

I would have to agree about Bush being a lame duck president, although I'm not sure about him being the worst president ever.

no, Woodrow "I have unknowingly ruined my country" Wilson still holds that distinction in my eyes. However, Bush's arrogant power grab, his signing statements and policy of removing the checks and balances of our form of gov't, and his attempts to subvert and destroy that "god damn piece of paper" known as the Constitution make him one of the most dangerous presidents in history and probably the worst president since Harding and Hoover.

Bush has already punched his ticket to the bottom, no matter the outcome of his foreign policy in 100 years.

If we are a Muslim nation or are undergoing terrorist attacks monthly, then you could say he failed.

If we are a Muslim nation in 50 years, then historians will view him as a success. After all, he would have started the whole process with his little war.

It all depends on perspective.

Arch.

Well, since we can't judge Bush just yet, I am going to say......

Harry Truman.

Not because he bombed Japan. I have heard the arguments on both sides; and I tend to agree with Truman's assessment.

Where Truman suffered is in foreign relations. FDR was amazing in regards to foreign relations. Even Stalin respected him. Truman was too polarizing; and our relationship with Russia completely deteriorated after Truman took office.

I believe that Truman's anxiety and lack of experience in foreign affairs may have been a major catalyst in producing the Cold War.

Arch.

i don't know much about other american presidents, but George W. Bush is doing pretty bad. His war on Iraq is not very successful if not a total failure.

It is far too soon to judge this President's historical signifigance while he is still in office. If any of you remember anything about the American Civil War, Lincoln had approval ratings hovering pretty close to what Bush's are right now. Lincoln was hugely unpopular at the time, but now he is viewed as a hero. For all we know, in 100 years George W. Bush might be looked at as the man who liberated 2 nations. My point is simply that if you think he is the worst President in the history of this country, then you are either filled with so much hatred that you can't see past your own ideals, or you skipped class when they taught the Reconstruction period of American history. My vote for worst President goes to U.S. Grant.

My vote goes to Mr. Franklin Pierce, who was so detested by all of America by the end of his four years that his own party used to the slogan "Anybody But Pierce" in the election in which he should have been incumbent. As low as President Bush's approval ratings have gotten he hasn't reached the point where his entire party ditches him like that.

And my vote for least effective President would have to go to William Henry Harrison for reasons far too obvious to enumerate here.

Werbung:
My vote goes to Mr. Franklin Pierce, who was so detested by all of America by the end of his four years that his own party used to the slogan "Anybody But Pierce" in the election in which he should have been incumbent. As low as President Bush's approval ratings have gotten he hasn't reached the point where his entire party ditches him like that.

And my vote for least effective President would have to go to William Henry Harrison for reasons far too obvious to enumerate here.

Harrison was in office for like a month. He had barely moved into the White House.

And I disagree with you on Pierce. While he may have been an ineffective president, he didn't have the lasting long term effect on America like Buchanan and Johnson did. I'm sticking with those two.

Back