Thoughts on the Death Penalty

Werbung:
My personal opinion is that the death penatly is useless unless it's vigorously, consistently, and swiftly used. It reminds me of the French Revolution (not that I'm suggesting we go guillotine political dissenters, don't take this out of context). Death serves as a rather considerable deterrent when you have scores of people being executed every day.

But when you have cases with DNA evidence, a handful of credible eyewitnesses, and other forensic evidence that proves an individual is guilty of premeditated, cold-blooded murder and he spends ten years sitting on Death Row, getting organ transplants and such, capital punishment loses the deterrent effect and just wastes taxpayer dollars.

And in this day and age, I don't think that trotting out numbers of exonerations in the pre-DNA age have anything to do with the debate. I will concede that any number executed people probably have been innocently put to death and that is a tragedy. That would be a good argument against the death penalty back then, but with today's technology and forensic science, exclaiming that we might still kill innocent people isn't a very convincing argument in my view.

It reminds me of the French Revolution (not that I'm suggesting we go guillotine political dissenters, don't take this out of context).

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the guillotine is the most "humane" way of killing someone; due to where the blade strikes and how fast it slices through, the victim never feels a thing. Then again, my brain is oozing out of my ears right now, so maybe this is just a figment of my imagination.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the guillotine is the most "humane" way of killing someone; due to where the blade strikes and how fast it slices through, the victim never feels a thing. Then again, my brain is oozing out of my ears right now, so maybe this is just a figment of my imagination.

That is what they say, as long as the hair is cut above the neck and they put you in face down. Face up would be fairly cruel.

I think people with life sentences should be given the option to die if they want to.

I think people with life sentences should be given the option to die if they want to.

I wouldn't be opposed to that.

And another thing to vyo, it's impossibly to really know what the most humane form of execution is because we can't really take exit polls.

Overdose them on a downer.

Whatever they give to animals, Phenobarbital?

The bar for determining that a person should be given the death penalty has to be set so high that mistakes are virtually nonexistent, DNA evidence from several independent labs, being the primary component. After guilt is established, lets get it over with, some people, for whatever reason, don't deserve to live.

And another thing to vyo, it's impossibly to really know what the most humane form of execution is because we can't really take exit polls.

We could always half kill them, ask them how it feels, then multiply the result by two.

I think it's a testament to how burned out I am that I'm suggesting that.

How can something not be what it is, eh?
I wont disagree with most of your post, I think we have a bit of a communication breakdown. The reference I was making as vengence coming from the victim or thier families and bypassing the usual justice system.

Truth Above All, quoting part of your post below generally sums up my views on the issue.
A whole lot less than there used to be. Primarily due to long wait/appeal periods, scientific improvements in interpreting evidence, and even confessions from or evidence against a different perp.

Personally, I've mixed feelings about CP. I know there are people convicted due to poor representation. Due to planted evidence. Due to emotional manipulation of jurors. And so much more.

But at the same time, I want to see certain people pay the ultimate price for the atrocious crimes they've committed, like the Jessica Lunsford rape and murder in Florida. The evidence is rock-solid. This is not a case where mitigating circumstances or possibility of rehabilitation should even cross the radar scope. There is a part of the U.S. Justice System that needs to be remembered - justice. And in some cases, it should be swift as originally intended.

Whatever they give to animals, Phenobarbital?

The bar for determining that a person should be given the death penalty has to be set so high that mistakes are virtually nonexistent, DNA evidence from several independent labs, being the primary component. After guilt is established, lets get it over with, some people, for whatever reason, don't deserve to live.

The standard for determining guilt is not the issue - it is the form of punishment. With sovereign will - and the whole of the common force at its disposal in the exercise of this sovereign will - there is absolutely no reason to execute a convict - except for the popular need to witness bloody revenge. The state is not in the business of peddling revenge.

We're talkin' individuals' violent-beahvior, here (as-opposed-to the Lemming March To War).
I know, and the motivations why individuals commit murder or other violent crime is so varied that I am not sure having a full understanding of how the brain works will put an end to violent crime. Some motivations may be minimized though.
Tucker Carlson readily admits he (always) felt the same (about people being incarcerated)..............until he was accused of rape
Certainly this is always a concern, and there are plenty of other examples of this happening.

I wont disagree with most of your post, I think we have a bit of a communication breakdown. The reference I was making as vengence coming from the victim or thier families and bypassing the usual justice system.

All the more reason NOT to execute a criminal.

The state is obliged to comply with the requirement of law - NOT the requirement of the victim's family, or anyone else's for that matter. In this regard, the justice system is said to be impartial. All criminal proceedings involving a capital offense - the aggrieved party is ALWAYS the body politic (People of the us vs. so and so).

Bypassing the justice system is itself a criminal offense. This is the result of equality. The power you have over your fellow man is precisely the power your fellow man have over you. No more, no less.

Truth Above All, quoting part of your post below generally sums up my views on the issue.

I don't see my post anywhere in that.

Werbung:
Back