Smokers and taxes

tater03

I am a smoker. Thinking about trying to quit here soon. Just waiting on my husband to agree to quit with me for moral support. Oh well that's another story in and of itself.

My gripe is what they use the taxes for when you buy a pack of cigerettes. Specifically here in Cleveland, Ohio. Not to long ago they built the new Cleveland Indians stadium. And your not allowed to smoke in the facility. Normally i have no problem with not being able to smoke in a public place. And it really doesn't bother me that i cannot smoke when i go to see a baseball game. BUT what irks me is they used the taxes from cigerettes to build this stadium. I mean if smokers are going to pay for it, i think that smoking should be allowed. Or they should have found another way to fund this stadium. This is just my two sense on the subject. I understand that people will not agree with this and that is O.K. by me.

Werbung:
I don't live in America, so I don't have a full understanding of how the tax system works, but I would expect that the tax used to fund the building comes from all sorts of revenue sources and not just tobacco.

So you're right - I don't agree with you on this one.

On a side note. The other night i was watching "laura" which is a classic black and white movie done in 1944 movie info here if interested http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800087417/info Anyway it was shocking to see how everyone was drinking and smoking in almost ever scene lol. Most of the movies of this time frame has that same behavior. Everyone just smoking and drinking even the cop on duty was drinking away! :p

In those days they thought it was cool.

In fact when I was in my teens I wanted to smoke because I thought it was the height of coolness.

i am pretty sure you are right. I believe in most places the revenue goes into the general fund to be used as the legislature directs.....

I guess my problem personally with this is using public funds to build a stadium (when the teams are supposed to be private buisinesses). Don't get me wrong I have nothing against professional sports and enjoy watching the Red Sox from time to time but I am not sure if it is approaite to use taxpayer money. i ghuess the only defence here is everyone else is doing it.

I don't live in America, so I don't have a full understanding of how the tax system works, but I would expect that the tax used to fund the building comes from all sorts of revenue sources and not just tobacco.

So you're right - I don't agree with you on this one.

In fact when I was in my teens I wanted to smoke because I thought it was the height of coolness.

Exactly. That was the attitude about smoking for many years. That's why the current attitude seems so hypocritical to me. I don't have any problem with people being against smoking but I don't think it makes sense when people act as if it's a moral issue.

l99999us said:
I guess my problem personally with this is using public funds to build a stadium (when the teams are supposed to be private buisinesses).

I think the rationale for that is that the stadium generates revenue for the city. I don't know if that's actually how it works out in practice.

It just seems hypocritical to say that you can't smoke. Yet we are going to allow smokers to fully fund public (and private) buildings. While I understand why there is no smoking in that arena, it looks like political doubletalk. That whole "say one thing, do the opposite".

:twocents:

I can see this point but i also think that it will affect other people who go to the stadium who may not be smokers. Second hand smoke can affect their health. i guess this brings up the point of wether or not we should let people smoke in public places.

peace

-Todd

It just seems hypocritical to say that you can't smoke. Yet we are going to allow smokers to fully fund public (and private) buildings. While I understand why there is no smoking in that arena, it looks like political doubletalk. That whole "say one thing, do the opposite".

:twocents:

lots of people still think that way...that's how some (probably many) people get hooked, especially in college.

I think the rationale for that is that the stadium generates revenue for the city. I don't know if that's actually how it works out in practice.

in my city it sure does. sometimes i wish it didn't, there's so much traffic around game times.

Werbung:
I can't stand how many liberals demonize smoking and push and pass city and state ordinances prohibiting it and whatnot, support sin taxes, and then promote government social programs that are funded by these taxes. It makes me sick.

Back