US ambassador 'killed in Libya'. US consulate Benghazi stormed. 4 US officials "dead"

Do they really need an excuse? What was their reason for 911?

crusades.jpg

Werbung:
Really steve ...
Are we suppose to have an intellectual response to your comment ...
The best respones is to enforce the law. In Australia seven protestors have been arrested for assault and damaging property. The mother of the Child who held up the sign about beheading has been spoken to by the government.
I am sure the Libyan government will also take action

What government? Libya is still unorganized. It's going to take them years to get their act together and form a national unity, if they ever do. They will be lucky if they aren't taken over by some other group.

The Libyan government has ask for American help in this investigation. I sure results will be soon.

The Libyan government has ask for American help in this investigation. I sure results will be soon.

Your kidding. Our government is run by Obama...it is not going to release the truth if it puts him in a bad light.

Sharia Law does not apply in the USA. There was a girls father who killed her because she disrespected her family . A Judge sentence him 20 years in state prison for 1st degree murder.

but did you not say they wanted us out ? cant have your cake and eat it too
I did say t in an earlier post that Libyan did not want the US to stay. However since them they had allow American marines and help in the investigation. However I think once the investigation is finish they do not want them to stay

The best respones is to enforce the law. In Australia seven protestors have been arrested for assault and damaging property. The mother of the Child who held up the sign about beheading has been spoken to by the government.

I am sure they were spoken to, considering Australia does not have a 1st Amendment Right!

Cruella, et al,

Much of this is true, but might be misleading. While you can just about draw a connection between any of the terrorist groups, it doesn't mean that it was a pre-sponsored event by al-Qaeda.

Ayman Mohammed Rabie al-Zawahiri, Osama bin Laden's #2 guy, and sometimes called the 911 mastermind, has taken credit for the attacks. He is now considered the al Qaeda leader. His brother was part of the Cairo embassy assult. There are many factions of the Islamic Jihad. Just like the military wing of the Muslim Brotherhood is better known as Hamas. The Egyptian Islamic Jihad is infact the international wing of al-Qaeda. These people have a network with different divisions under different names.

(COMMENT)

Al-Qaeda did not actually take credit for the attack. They just acknowledge it and characterized it as a "revenge attack" --- whatever that means. It might be the case that they are talking about the outlawed Rahman Brigade, or some similar terrorist element.

My point is, that we should not be so quick to pin such attacks on al-Qaeda remnants and affiliates, as a preplanned sponsored event directed by them. They are a number of anti-American elements in that region of the world.

Most Respectfully,
R

How so? The Muslim Brotherhood is now in charge, sharing the government with an even more fanatical sect. I don't think you realize what that means for us. To simply state mutual and non mutual interests I think ignores the bigger picture of what has been going on in these countries since the Ayatollah took power in Iran.

The new president of Egypt said when he took office, “Jerusalem shall be our capital, Allah willing.”

I harbor no illusions that change in Egypt will be easy, or that the current government will suddenly become some completely pro-western regime. That said, Egypt is too critical a player in the Middle East to simply wash our hands of. We have many mutual interests with Egypt that need to be protected and maintained, regardless of inflammatory rhetoric that is not even aimed at us.

Egypt is important for our military with overflight rights, intelligence sharing, the Suez Canal, and the moderate voice that the Egyptian military continues to be. They play a vital role in our relations with Saudi Arabia, they are a major player in both the Middle East in regards to Israel, and they also exert a lot of influence in Africa. The list can go on and on.

There is no doubt that the new government has its problems, but we continue to have mutually aligned interests, and the best course of action is to pursue them.

BigRob, et al,

This is true.

The way I see the international system is as follows:

There are no friends -- only aligned interests. There are also no enemies -- only opposing interests.
(COMMENT)

Yes!

We do still have aligned interests with the current Egyptian government -- we also have opposing interests. To me however, that is no reason to argue that we cannot still pursue the aligned interests.
(COMMENT)

There is always a risk. And the risk of doing business with Egypt is becoming greater then any expected return we might expect to receive. We always see a need to intervene when we should stay away. The risk is exemplified by the event in Libya. The US did no harm to Libya, yet the activities of the US we received in a negative context. So it will be in may countries of the Mediterranean, Middle East and Persian Gulf.

By pursuing aligned interests, you aggravate the already damaged reputation of the US, and amplify the way the US interferes with the domestic complexion of Arab nations. Back away slowly, and reduce the Foreign Service footprint in the nation. Do not encourage further US aid development. Reduce contacts, putting the burden to reach-out on those of the Mediterranean, Middle East and Persian Gulf. If they truly want US involvement, then they will make the effort to establish a dialog. In the mean time, all this money and effort we expend - to little or no avail - can be diverted to US domestic nation building.

We need to alter the paradigm if we are to expect a true change in the way the US is perceived. Remember how Einstein defined insanity; by doing the same things over and over again, expecting a different result. If we want to make a dramatic improvement, we need to the way we do business both politically and diplomatically. Otherwise, we can expect business as usual.

Most Respectfully,
R

I am not denying that the ships were sent ...
I am saying they will not be ordered to fire on Egypt. There is a greater chance Obama will have them fire on Israel than Egypt.

well Israel has fired on us...and also yes its not likey Obama will go to war with Egypt because they protested. But enjoy your blood lust. Bet your a chickenhawk to.

Werbung:
You know that will never happen ...
Obama is more likely to give the order for those ships to fire on Israel when they attack Iran than to fire on Libya.

All Presidents do what the Pentagon tells them to do--as they should.
They are merely the proxy. The rubber stamp.
Go against the Pentagon--and your risk of betrayal is so enormous no one dare risk it.

Back