What's wrong with stealing?

Wal-Mart eases policy on petty shoplifters - Business - International Herald Tribune

Wal-Mart refuses to carry smutty magazines. It will not sell compact discs with obscene lyrics. And when it catches customers shoplifting - even a pair of socks or a pack of cigarettes - it prosecutes them.

But now, in a rare display of limited permissiveness, Wal-Mart is letting thieves off the hook - at least for up to $25 worth.

According to internal documents, the company will no longer prosecute first- time thieves unless they are 18 to 65 years old and steal merchandise worth at least $25, putting the chain in line with the policies of many other retailers.

Under the new policy, a shoplifter caught trying to steal a DVD of the movie "Basic Instinct 2" ($16.87), for example, would receive a warning, but one caught stealing "E.R. - The Complete Fifth Season" ($32.87) would face arrest.

Wal-Mart said the change would allow it to focus on theft by professional shoplifters and its own employees, who together steal the bulk of merchandise from the chain every year, rather than the teenager who occasionally takes a candy bar from the checkout counter.

It may also serve to placate small- town police departments around the United States who have protested the company's policy on shoplifting, under which employees invariably summoned officers, whether a customer tried to steal a $5 toy or a $5,000 television set.

The police make as many as a dozen arrests a day at some of the chain's giant 24-hour stores, prompting a handful of departments to hire an additional officer just to deal with the extra workload.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/13/business/worldbusiness/13iht-wal-mart.2190898.html

Werbung:
Wal-Mart eases policy on petty shoplifters - Business - International Herald Tribune

Wal-Mart refuses to carry smutty magazines. It will not sell compact discs with obscene lyrics. And when it catches customers shoplifting - even a pair of socks or a pack of cigarettes - it prosecutes them.

But now, in a rare display of limited permissiveness, Wal-Mart is letting thieves off the hook - at least for up to $25 worth.

According to internal documents, the company will no longer prosecute first- time thieves unless they are 18 to 65 years old and steal merchandise worth at least $25, putting the chain in line with the policies of many other retailers.

Under the new policy, a shoplifter caught trying to steal a DVD of the movie "Basic Instinct 2" ($16.87), for example, would receive a warning, but one caught stealing "E.R. - The Complete Fifth Season" ($32.87) would face arrest.

Wal-Mart said the change would allow it to focus on theft by professional shoplifters and its own employees, who together steal the bulk of merchandise from the chain every year, rather than the teenager who occasionally takes a candy bar from the checkout counter.

It may also serve to placate small- town police departments around the United States who have protested the company's policy on shoplifting, under which employees invariably summoned officers, whether a customer tried to steal a $5 toy or a $5,000 television set.

The police make as many as a dozen arrests a day at some of the chain's giant 24-hour stores, prompting a handful of departments to hire an additional officer just to deal with the extra workload.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/13/business/worldbusiness/13iht-wal-mart.2190898.html

So are you saying you would steal from walmart because they do prosecute shoplifters or because they do not prosecute shoplifters who are young?

Either way I think your thinking is messed up.

That is the corporations incentive to the managers to control theft (especially since at some companies most theft probably originates from the managers and other employees). The managers know the deal before they accept the job and since they still accept it they must think they still have a better deal than they can get anywhere else.
You have no shame when it comes to blaming the working class for its own plight. "...since at some companies most theft probably originates from the managers and other employees..." And of course, that idiotic rationalization is not accompanied by any proof, evidence, or even scripture.

We should also note that the money came from the managers bonus. If the system was described accurately, one way of looking at it is that the company is actually paying the manager the bonus for not having theft rather than charging them for having theft.
Manager, employee pay is so low, that the bonus system is necessary to make any kind of a living. Also, when a person is hired, corporate rhetoric always stresses: "...the base pay is not that much, but with the bonus you can make..."

Any rationalization(...one way of looking at it...) to justify corporate misdirecting one cost of doing business. Unless the manager, employees search every customer (which would be unlawful), they do not have the means (manpower, resources that are controlled by the corporation) to control shoplifting.

So then, with your rationalization, it is perfectly alright to hire a chauffeur and then charge him for the car-jacked car, because, "...they must think they still have a better deal than they can get anywhere else."
Dr.Who, have you no shame? You rationalize any corporate misdeed and excess. Your God is not Jesus, it is corporate greed.

As long its under $25 they wont call the cops on me. Im telling you what i stole but its under $10. That makes up the taxes the government robs me.

As long its under $25 they wont call the cops on me. Im telling you what i stole but its under $10. That makes up the taxes the government robs me.

It does not make up the taxes you have paid.

The government still has your money but Wal-mart has lost the value of the items stolen. Then they had to raise the price of all the other items to make up for the loss.

The result is that you have cost all of your fellow citizens to pay more for things while depriving the government of nothing at all. Your actions give the government an excuse to create more regulations and get more involved in the lives of everyday people - the opposite of what you want. Lastly, you are at risk for being arrested and suffering the consequences even if the things you steal are small. They do keep records everytime they catch you and will prosecute the second time. Even if they don't catch you the first times if they can show that it is your second time by looking at the surveillance cameras they will not give you a break.

Thats properganda. They will make you believe this crap they raise prices. I saw it at first hand. I stole a certain item everytime and still never got caught! And price stayed the same. When i steal it makes it up. Sales taxes is like throwing your money down the toilet and didnt get anything out of it. So i steal something to make it up i bought it. GET IT?? For example if you pay 65 cents tax and you stole a pen cost $1.25. You bought a pen for 65 cents, you get it now?

Thats properganda. They will make you believe this crap they raise prices. I saw it at first hand. I stole a certain item everytime and still never got caught! And price stayed the same. When i steal it makes it up. Sales taxes is like throwing your money down the toilet and didnt get anything out of it. So i steal something to make it up i bought it. GET IT?? For example if you pay 65 cents tax and you stole a pen cost $1.25. You bought a pen for 65 cents, you get it now?
I get it. THIEF! THIEF!

I do it all the time at Wal Mart. I make up for my Gas taxes until Government starts being honest. The stealing will continue until politicans start telling the truth and be honest.

You steal from a private company because you dislike what the government does?

A good analogy here is that you dislike the way Best Buy conducts themselves, so you steal from Target to make up for it.

The only real conclusion I can draw from this is that you are a complete idiot.

I guess I have been doing this wrong. I asked in the OP what was wrong with stealing and you are answering the question. You are explaining why you do not think stealing is wrong. I should be learning more about your view.

In what circumstances is it ok to steal and when is it not ok? Is it only ok to steal to "make up" a loss?

Its not ok to steal from the Salvation army or from the poor. Its ok to steal from the Rich and from people who support the government.

Its not ok to steal from the Salvation army or from the poor. Its ok to steal from the Rich and from people who support the government.

Many poor people voted the current government into office.....therefore they support it, and therefore Steve says we can steal from them....good to know.

Werbung:
Back