Which home is safer?

That is why there are laws about gun safes. to keep people who are too stupid to handle a gun from handling them.

Meh, I call it Darwinism in action. Stupid kid takes a gun, looks down the barrel and pow, he doesn't get to pollute the gene pool.

Werbung:
Dr Who: Most mass murderers have never previously commited a crime. 'We never thought such a sweet boy could do such a thing', so people usually say after some kid kills 15-20 peope on a college campus.

You've never heard of pipe bombs I guess.

I lean towards Acorns side in this matter, we should all be allowed to own guns, I just don't see the need for an SKS to kill a squirrel. Does anyone really believe there is a need for the average citizen to own an assault rifle? I can do just as much damage with my Glock, my Taurus, and my Mossberg.

That's probably because you don't own an assault rifle. I do. I have a Korean era M-1 Garand. It's a 30-06 and it is the sweetest weapon I've ever handled. I can hit a coke can at 400 yards with it. It is for fun. I doubt I'll ever use it for defense, except maybe the beyonette it has on it.

The point is that its for fun and why should that be taken away from me?

American is a violent nation. one of the most violent Western nations.

http://www.neahin.org/programs/schoolsafety/gunsafety/statistics.htm#america

Every day, more than 80 Americans die from gun violence. (Coalition to Stop Gun Violence)

American children are more at risk from firearms than the children of any other industrialized nation.

A moot point. Gun control will never reduce gun violence and nobody is talking about gun control anyway, so...moot point.

Well guess what, it turns out, according to a police report released today, the victims were shot with the SKS. The story yesterday said he used a pistol. Point still stands, I have never heard of anyone using an SKS to protect people from a shooter. Funny how that works I guess.

So. Do you really believe that banning assault weapons would have stopped this guy?

A gun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a family member or friend than it is to kill in self-defense

And oral sex is probably 43 times or more likely to give you chlamydia than intercourse with a condom but no one is suggesting that you give up on the one because it is less safe than the other. It is not the right comparison.

The solution is to be safe in both situations. Guns can be locked as easily as people can practice safe sex.

Why would anyone advocate safe sex but not safe gun ownership? Why would anyone claim that guns are a problem when it is the lack of safety precautions that are the problem?

Meh, I call it Darwinism in action. Stupid kid takes a gun, looks down the barrel and pow, he doesn't get to pollute the gene pool.

Do you ever send your kids (if you don't have kids then pretend that you do) to play at the neighbors house?

Because the more likely scenario is stupid kid takes a gun and shoots the other kid who was yelling "Hey point that the other way".

And oral sex is probably 43 times or more likely to give you chlamydia than intercourse with a condom but no one is suggesting that you give up on the one because it is less safe than the other. It is not the right comparison.

The solution is to be safe in both situations. Guns can be locked as easily as people can practice safe sex.

Why would anyone advocate safe sex but not safe gun ownership? Why would anyone claim that guns are a problem when it is the lack of safety precautions that are the problem?

you can take my gun away ....just don't take my oral :)

This article had some relevant parts:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/06/09/varieties_of_nothing_96898.html

A study in Britain found that, among criminals caught, convicted and sentenced, only 7 percent of these sentences involved being put behind bars. Most of what is done in the other 93 percent of the cases amounts to virtually nothing.

People convicted of burglary in Britain are seldom jailed. For this and many other crimes, they will get a stern talking to. And, if they do it again, they will get an even sterner talking to.

The idea is that burglary is "only" a property crime and the left intelligentsia in Britain show their disdain for property rights by not taking property crimes very seriously. The net result is that burglary is far more common in Britain than in the United States.

Moreover, burglars in Britain seldom bother to "case" the place as most American burglars do before breaking in. Even if someone is home, that is far less of a danger in Britain where severe gun control laws greatly reduce the dangers to burglars.

A British homeowner who held two burglars at gunpoint until the police arrived was arrested-- even though the gun he used turned out to be just a realistic-looking toy gun. The British intelligentsia take guns much more seriously than they take burglary, even when it is only a toy gun that is used to "intimidate" a burglar, as they put it.

That's probably because you don't own an assault rifle. I do. I have a Korean era M-1 Garand. It's a 30-06 and it is the sweetest weapon I've ever handled. I can hit a coke can at 400 yards with it. It is for fun. I doubt I'll ever use it for defense, except maybe the beyonette it has on it.

The point is that its for fun and why should that be taken away from me?

I'm not familiar with that particular weapon but I've owned an American M1 Carbine, Thompson 45 and an AR15. Have over the years sold them all off but still own a couple handguns... Beretta 380 and a Dan Wesson 357 magnum pistol pack with all the interchangeable barrels.

The issue on assault rifles to me is strictly a matter of capacity. I don't care what a weapon looks like. And any reasonable caliber size really doesn't matter much either because there are hunting applications with almost all ammo sizes.

But there's no reason to have a weapon holding a 30 or 60 shot magazine or like my Thompson had some ungodly capacity drum clip.

I know when I had mine there was some stupid law that I could legally own a 30 or 60 round clip... it just wasn't "legal" to have it in the gun. That obviously doesn't work.

The correct way I see to solve this problem for both sides is to require street legal assault weapons to have a unique style clip that doesn't interchange with the military version. And then outlaw the manufacture of anything more than say a 15 round clip for the street version.

It's all about capacity to me not what the gun looks like. Any gun can kill someone but if someone does clock out with a gun I want them to be bogged down carrying a lot of different weapons and/or have to reload them a lot. Hopefully it gives some people more time to get away and it would help give law enforcement the upper hand.

There's a compromise that could be made here. If not for everything already out there certainly for new sales.

I must have missed where I was against safe use of guns.....

See that's what bothers me. If you try and point out anything that could be done to make gun ownership safer... or want to limit any type of gun purchase... you're completely out of it and don't know a thing about guns.

I was a big personal gun collector at one time. But I never believed they weren't a very dangerous thing to have around. Anyone that claims guns are inherently safe are not being honest.

That doesn't mean that someone shouldn't be able to buy a gun for hunting or personal protection... but it sure doesn't make someone that sees their danger a crazy gun hater!:D

I for instance sold all my guns off except for my two favorite handguns when I started having kids. And the handguns I didn't want at the house so I took them out and locked them up in the gun cabinet at my grandparents farm.

But if you don't think someone should own a machine gun or maybe a bazooka... you're just anti-gun.:D

Werbung:
See that's what bothers me. If you try and point out anything that could be done to make gun ownership safer... or want to limit any type of gun purchase... you're completely out of it and don't know a thing about guns.

I was a big personal gun collector at one time. But I never believed they weren't a very dangerous thing to have around. Anyone that claims guns are inherently safe are not being honest.

That doesn't mean that someone shouldn't be able to buy a gun for hunting or personal protection... but it sure doesn't make someone that sees their danger a crazy gun hater!:D

I for instance sold all my guns off except for my two favorite handguns when I started having kids. And the handguns I didn't want at the house so I took them out and locked them up in the gun cabinet at my grandparents farm.

But if you don't think someone should own a machine gun or maybe a bazooka... you're just anti-gun.:D

I never even said ban assult rifles..thus why I am lost as to the point lol

Back