Congress moves to bail out newspapers - and regulate just a little of what they print

Little-Acorn

If you accept the government's money (or tax breaks in this case), you have to do more of what government tells you.

This is becoming the main characteristic of all the activity from our Congress and President for the last few months. And now it's the newspapers' turn.

It's not clear how the newspapers' problems constitute any kind of national emergency, nor how the demise of a few of them would threaten the stability of the U.S. economy. But nonetheless, Congress has decided that they, too, should be the recipients of government largesse... and just a teeny bit more government control over what they can print. First amendment? No, sorry, this is an emergency, and so we can ignore that.

This bill puts only a small restriction on them - they can no longer print political endorsements. It's just a little thing - look at all the stuff the government will still allow them to print! Who could possibly care about such a small restriction.

You don't think the government later on, say in a few years, will add just a little more restrction to the list, now do you? Like maybe, they can no longer print political opinions? Or how about a "fair and balanced" restriction: For every conservative opinion, they must also print an equally long liberal opinion. Hey, it's just a little bit more. Who could possibly complain.....

And the people who worry that there is a connection between the desire to HELP (and regulate just a little) newspapers, and the administration's desire to regulate the pay of just a few executives (for now) and seize just a few really critical companies, surely are silly and paranoid. I mean, what precedent can you point to, to a government gradually expanding its control and eventually making those restrictions serious?

Naw, we can trust our government to never do that. So, there's no need to follow silly, antiquated laws in some 200-year-old document, designed to prevent such a thing.

----------------------------------------------

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE52N67F20090324

U.S. bill seeks to rescue faltering newspapers

Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:05pm EDT
by Thomas Ferraro

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - With many U.S. newspapers struggling to survive, a Democratic senator on Tuesday introduced a bill to help them by allowing newspaper companies to restructure as nonprofits with a variety of tax breaks.

"This may not be the optimal choice for some major newspapers or corporate media chains but it should be an option for many newspapers that are struggling to stay afloat," said Senator Benjamin Cardin.

A Cardin spokesman said the bill had yet to attract any co-sponsors, but had sparked plenty of interest within the media, which has seen plunging revenues and many journalist layoffs.

Cardin's Newspaper Revitalization Act would allow newspapers to operate as nonprofits for educational purposes under the U.S. tax code, giving them a similar status to public broadcasting companies.

Under this arrangement, newspapers would still be free to report on all issues, including political campaigns. But they would be prohibited from making political endorsements.

Advertising and subscription revenue would be tax exempt, and contributions to support news coverage or operations could be tax deductible.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Werbung:
Re: Congress moves to bail out newspapers - and regulate just a little of what they p

This is yet another way of controlling the media.

It's a bit insane if you ask me.

Re: Congress moves to bail out newspapers - and regulate just a little of what they p

This bill puts only a small restriction on them - they can no longer print political endorsements.
Hmmmmmmm.....let's seeeee......​

"Under this arrangement, newspapers would still be free to report on all issues, including political campaigns. But they would be prohibited from making political endorsements."
I'm truly amazed at the number of (you) people, here, who have such prominent reading-comprehension issues.

Do you enjoy embarrassing yourself.....or, is this some kind o' limited-education issue, for you?

:confused:

Uhhhhhhhh......wouldn't this be the same librul-media you "conservatives" have always felt needed some controlling-oversight???

Maybe things (in-general) would make more sense to you folks, if you weren't so dizzy from running-around-in-circles (attempting to look engaged).

:rolleyes:

Who ever said anything about needing oversight. They need to plainly report the news and not have any agenda.

They also need to realize, that people are moving away from printed newspaper and get their news online.

They are the only news company that asks tough questions. On both political parties.

So they don't agree with Obama. I wondeer why?

So you want to speak of conflicts of interest.. How about Obama receiving campaign contributions from AIG.

No wonder he signed the bill that let the execs keep their bonuses.

Get real.

Nope.

It's THE way of controlling the media.

I don't find it insane. I find it disturbing... to put it mildly. Especially when taken in the context I presented in the OP:

1.) Obama admin provides huge bailout funds, and uses them to buy majority shares in affected firms.

2.) Obama admin announces they will impose controls and regulations on bailed-out firms, overseeing day-by-day operations.

3.) Obama admin announces displeasure with execs getting bonuses that were planned and contracted long before govt money was involved, and announce a 90% tax rate only on bonuses of execs in bailed-out companies.

4.) Obama admin announces plans to control and regulate the pay of execs in firms NOT bailed out by the Fed govt.

5.) Obama admin announces plans to control day-by-day operations of companies NOT bailed out by the Fed govt.

6.) Obama admin introduces bill to bail out newspapers, and to impose regulations on what they can say.

Orwell described a pretty scary society in his novel. But he introduced it as a fait accompli, something that was well-imbedded and had been functioning for a long time. He never described how we got there from here.

I think we're starting to see the first part of that description, now.

It may not be the present administration's intention.

But then, it never is.

Like most attempts to silence or control the media, this one is likely to be dead in the water.

Or is it?

Just how long can we fail to pay the price for liberty, which is still eternal vigilance, before we wake up one day to find it has been taken away completely?

We have already lost some of our liberties. We have asset forfeiture laws, for example, a government "considering" mandatory "volunteer" service, the Orwellian named "fairness doctrine", the similarly named "patriot act." It is not beyond the realm of possibility that we could lose the freedom of speech as well.

But, the bill in the OP will almost certainly fail, so go back to sleep. All is well.

Like most attempts to silence or control the media, this one is likely to be dead in the water.
That's what I was saying a few weeks ago, about a plan to retroactively and punitively tax people receiving bonuses.

Oops.

:eek:

Werbung:

That's what I was saying a few weeks ago, about a plan to retroactively and punitively tax people receiving bonuses.
Only "conservatives" could see any merit in rewarding people who've failed.

(See: George Bush; 2004)

:rolleyes:

Back