Conservatives: Single-Largest Ideological Group

GenSeneca

It appears as though the numbers of both Conservatives and Liberals have grown roughly 4% since the nineties but the Conservatives are still double that of self identified Liberals:

“Conservatives” Are Single-Largest Ideological Group

PRINCETON, NJ -- Thus far in 2009, 40% of Americans interviewed in national Gallup Poll surveys describe their political views as conservative, 35% as moderate, and 21% as liberal. This represents a slight increase for conservatism in the U.S. since 2008, returning it to a level last seen in 2004. The 21% calling themselves liberal is in line with findings throughout this decade, but is up from the 1990s.

Even in the kook fringes of extreme right and left, the Very Conservative group comes in at 9% while Very Liberal comes in at just 5%.

Werbung:
It appears as though the numbers of both Conservatives and Liberals have grown roughly 4% since the nineties but the Conservatives are still double that of self identified Liberals:

Even in the kook fringes of extreme right and left, the Very Conservative group comes in at 9% while Very Liberal comes in at just 5%.

Found a couple interesting things at the link you provided, and it's not good news for the GOP. First off, 22% of Democrats describe themselves as "conservative" compared to only 3% of Republicans saying they are "liberal" ...and then we have this:

Thus far in 2009, Gallup has found an average of 36% of Americans considering themselves Democratic, 28% Republican, and 37% independent. When independents are pressed to say which party they lean toward, 51% of Americans identify as Democrats, 39% as Republicans, and only 9% as pure independents.

I have a hard time with your view of the fringes. That's lot of people to be labeling as fringes. What makes you think that you, or all of us here, don't fall into that category? Could a person be moderate, but more radical, in practice, than someone on the fringes, in terms of taking action on their beliefs?

The great thing you're trying to point out then is that President Obama's big time numbers in his election must mean even a more huge number of self identified Independents & Moderates went his way and are in agreement with his vision.

COOL!

A couple of questions come to mind reading that poll:

How did we manage to elect the most liberal president and Congress in recent memory, and

Did they define what they meant by "conservative" and "liberal"?

Hmm...interesting. Although I shouldnt say that I am all that surprised. Considering the survey is based on what people put themselves into one of 5 categories.

This sort of self reporting is always questionable. Hell the amount of actually elected officials who claim to be Conservative far out weigh those who actually vote Conservative.

The other thing is that I think most of use are not as easily pidgeon holed into one single group. Personally I like to think of myself as more pragmatic than anything. I am for spending where needed, but dislike waste. I support the 2nd amendment and Rowe V Wade. I like President Obama, but also have voted for a number of Republicans. I support drilling in ANWR, but am vehemetly opposed to the proposed Pebble Mine.

I think bailing out GM was necessary, but cant stand the fact that the Saudi's and Chinese own us.

PRINCETON, NJ -- Thus far in 2009, 40% of Americans interviewed in national Gallup Poll surveys describe their political views as conservative, 35% as moderate, and 21% as liberal. This represents a slight increase for conservatism in the U.S. since 2008, returning it to a level last seen in 2004. The 21% calling themselves liberal is in line with findings throughout this decade, but is up from the 1990s.
What amateurish-spin. :rolleyes:

There's a significant-difference, between Conservatives & "...political views as conservative...".

Maybe Porky Limbaugh is hiring interns. You should look-into-it.​

Werbung:
A couple of questions come to mind reading that poll:

How did we manage to elect the most liberal president and Congress in recent memory, and

Did they define what they meant by "conservative" and "liberal"?
That's the tricky-thing, about the term conservative.

GenSeneca is (obviously) unaware of the difference, between:

conservative, as an adjective: b: marked by moderation or caution

.....and conservative, as a noun: b: a member or supporter of a conservative political party.​

Back