Democrats AND Republicans criticize Jindal's speech

OK with my house cleaning done, Ill make a few comments here.

Firstly, him taking issue with the volcano monitoring is simply naive and I think he now knows it backfired horribly on him. But I want to reiterate the abosulte hypocrisy portrayed by Jindal in making this comment, and Alaskan GOPers are hardly pleased.

I mean, seriously, how can the Governor of a State that was utterly devastated by a hurricane, and would fight tooth and nail to retain the hurricane tracking money, take issue with the measly amount when it comes to monitoring volcanos which can easily cost as much in treasure and life as a hurricane can.

While most of the volcanos in the nation are located in Alaska, we Alaskans prepare ourselves for them, and look after our neighbors when the warning is coming. As is evidenced by the thread I created a few weeks ago. I know it is going to happen, and so does everyone else, so we take the measures to ensure we can survive in the meantime.
Then here is the leader of Lousiana who cant manage to evacuate a city, nor provide relief for those left behind when the worst happens. As far as I am concerned, Jindal can take his Katrina money and run, because I no longer give a damn about a major city that was placed below sea level.

He never said researching volcanos was a bad idea, he said using the stim package to do it was.

Werbung:
Now to address another issue....
Why was Jindal giving this speech?
Since when does the Governor of a State give the response to a Presidential speech? I mean where was Mitch McConnel or John Boehner? These were the guys leading the members of Congress who actually voted. Or how about Michael Steele at the very least? I dont for the life of me understand why Jindal was put into the spot in the first place. He has no more to do with the stimulus package than any other Governor. If I were a member of the GOP Id be thoroughly disappointed in the actions taken here.

If this is the best the GOP has got, then its pretty clear that Obama will likely have 8 years.

He was giving the speech because there is a big war in the republican party on what direction it wants to go. Its looking like conservative is the way and sadly to find conservatives in the party are slim pickins. There are some in the house but not to many in the senate.

You are right about obama having 8 years, once he "fixes" the census there will be no stopping him even if we dont want him

Now to address another issue....
Why was Jindal giving this speech?
Since when does the Governor of a State give the response to a Presidential speech? I mean where was Mitch McConnel or John Boehner? These were the guys leading the members of Congress who actually voted. Or how about Michael Steele at the very least? I dont for the life of me understand why Jindal was put into the spot in the first place. He has no more to do with the stimulus package than any other Governor. If I were a member of the GOP Id be thoroughly disappointed in the actions taken here.

If this is the best the GOP has got, then its pretty clear that Obama will likely have 8 years.

Bill Clinton gave the response as I recall and it really propelled him to the national stage. Having a Governor give the response is not uncommon.

Why not let, a bunch of other Governors from other states with higher populations have the chance. Arnold, Crist, Or hell even Sonny Perdue from Georgia.

The downfall of the GOP here really is that they are already setting themselves up for the 2012 elections, and Obama has been in office a month! As someone who has voted GOP more than the Democratic party, putting Jindal our front and center with the speech he gave does nothing but solidify my notions about the GOP.

Ill be honest when I say that a Palin speech would have been a hell of a lot more productive.

Crist and arnie are both begging for stim money, they want the bill bigger not smaller, it would be retarded to pick either of them to counter a speech about a stim bill that repubicans do not want by using either of the two men who think its a great idea.

the problem is repubicans wont learn that dems will attack who ever they put out. had they put out palin you and all the other bots would have attacked her and every word she said, so they put out someone who has not been attacked (stupidly) thinking any dem would ever give them half a chance. the GOP needs to learn to play cut throat as well as the dems and quit thinking they will ever give any republican a chance.

Absolutely.

Much like Katrina, what's the worst that could happen, right?

MSH80_boulder_left_by_lahar_muddy_river_09-16-80_med.jpg

And you continue to miss the point. Why is it in a "stimulus" bill?

Bill Clinton gave the response as I recall and it really propelled him to the national stage. Having a Governor give the response is not uncommon.

Bill Clinton was charismatic and knew how to speak English....I'm not sure exactly what Jindal was doing. If Clinton was propelled to the national stage, Jindal did himself a great deal of harm with that embarrassing performance.

Lets see, the GOP's leading candidates for 2012, Bobby and Sarah, both have significant disadvantages...Palin's short on brains and Jindal completely lacks any charisma and is hard to understand...they do have one thing in common..they're great fodder for jokes. Good luck in 2012.

He was giving the speech because there is a big war in the republican party on what direction it wants to go. Its looking like conservative is the way and sadly to find conservatives in the party are slim pickins. There are some in the house but not to many in the senate.

You are right about obama having 8 years, once he "fixes" the census there will be no stopping him even if we dont want him
Think of it, this way.....you're not alone....​

He never said researching volcanos was a bad idea, he said using the stim package to do it was.

Having watched the speech twice now, I didnt hear him saying that. He lumped it into a bunch of other pork projects like the maglev train line from Disneyland to Vegas. As a matter of fact he characterized it as "irresponsible"

I get a kick out of this whole fixing the census part. You mention the major rift in the GOP and say then lay blame on Obama potentially "fixing" the census.

I guess you might as well cover both bases. But this is exactly why the GOP is not highly regarded among swing voters right now. As someone who voted GOP down the line in 2000, and was mixed in 2004, and nearly solid Democrat in 08, if the GOP wants to be at all viable in 4 years they had better get thier stuff together, and instead of having half a dozen candidates already more or less running for 2012, they should be shoring up thier base and instead of jumping on the attack a month into a brand new administration, they should minimize thier comments and let the Dems fail and move in when it happens.

But hey, who am I...

And you continue to miss the point. Why is it in a "stimulus" bill?

OK, Ill address this, as to why it is in the stimbill. Ultimately, a volcanic eruption is a terrible interference to the economy in the areas that are effected. Just ask Republican Senator Murkowski from Alaska, who ensured the measure was in the bill, but then voted against it.

Lets take for instance Anchorage, which is a city that is potentially highly effected by an ash fallout. Anchorage is a MAJOR air cargo hub not only for just Alaska but for the world. Millions of tons of freight travels by air annually through Anchorage from the Asian far east to the American east cost. If you take this refueling stop out of the equation it will seriously damage the movement of goods.
Then on the smaller level, you also have the danger to air traffic, and the potential for planes to crash. Back in 1989 when Mt. Redoubt erupted, this happened.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KLM_Flight_867

My point being is that if the Governor of the fine state of Lousiana wants to take issue with monitoring volcanos, that are potentially devastating to the area involved as a natural disaster, then the rest of the country needs to take issue with the money spent on hurricane monitoring.

Of course I support watching both, but somehow Gov. Jindal in his ignorance doesnt realize the potential problems with volcanos outside of Hawaii in this country, and is slightly moronic in thinking that the volcanos in question are the type where lava flows from the summit down.

These are stratovolcanos in question, and they are quite a bit more dangerous than the cinder volcano type. So again, the only reason Gov Jindal brought up the volcano issue is to provide a potential visual idea of Congress driving a dump truck towards the top of the mountain and dumping dollars into the pit of lava below.

Of course this probably works for the average American who has no concept of actual volcanos and wants only to hear questionable evidence to what they already think to be fact. But of course they are incorrect.

Crist and arnie are both begging for stim money, they want the bill bigger not smaller, it would be retarded to pick either of them to counter a speech about a stim bill that repubicans do not want by using either of the two men who think its a great idea.
I am not sure how you reach this conclusion, because they are the Governors representing the GOP in two of the largest states in the country. Has anyone thought they might know more about the actual needs than the people in DC?
the problem is repubicans wont learn that dems will attack who ever they put out. had they put out palin you and all the other bots would have attacked her and every word she said, so they put out someone who has not been attacked (stupidly) thinking any dem would ever give them half a chance. the GOP needs to learn to play cut throat as well as the dems and quit thinking they will ever give any republican a chance.

Now this I get a kick out of, the GOP has the most effective non violent attack machine in world politics today, short of Hugo Chavez. I think of the utterly lowball attacks directed towards John Kerry in 2004, and the dozens of effective GOP attacks of local Congressional races. I think an important one to note is that of the GOP when it came to Sean Parnell, current Lt. Governor of Alaska in his bid to unseat long standing Rep. Young in Alaska.
Then of course there quiet but prevalent questions about his Democratic opponent in the general election of Ethan Berkowitz and his Jewish faith.

As you said before the GOP is fractured. They cant figure out which way is up, and it has cost them dearly. Until collectively they can realize that they are no longer conservative as a party and provide a leader to point them in a direction that leads to the root of the party, then the GOP is destined to defeat.

I get a kick out of this whole fixing the census part. You mention the major rift in the GOP and say then lay blame on Obama potentially "fixing" the census. ...

A battle in the GOP over the direction doesn’t make either the conservative GOP or the moderate GOP or the liberal GOP democrats. They are still GOP, just having a battle to decide the direction of the party. Why would an internal battle of the GOP change the census? They are still GOP.

If Obama does what it looks like he is trying to do with the census, he will be to blame. Presidents don’t control the census; at least they never have in history. His chief of staff has no business “taking care of the census”

I guess you might as well cover both bases. But this is exactly why the GOP is not highly regarded among swing voters right now. As someone who voted GOP down the line in 2000, and was mixed in 2004, and nearly solid Democrat in 08, if the GOP wants to be at all viable in 4 years they had better get thier stuff together, and instead of having half a dozen candidates already more or less running for 2012, they should be shoring up thier base and instead of jumping on the attack a month into a brand new administration, they should minimize thier comments and let the Dems fail and move in when it happens.

But hey, who am I...

Move in when it happens? It’s happening now. As obama proudly says, he has done more in his first month than any other administration. The things he has done are terrible. Only a fool would sit and say nothing.

CPAC is having their convention this weekend, in that convention they do their mock elections for who the conservative people want to run against Obama in 2012. CPAC has done this for years. I am sure you would like the republicans to wait till the 11th hour then run another liberal like McCain so he can flop on his face but conservatives don’t want to wait till the 11th hour and they want a voice and they are sick of being stuck with big government republicans.

Bush (though I liked him as a person) spent money like a damn liberal, at least an old style liberal. Obama has surpassed even old style liberal spending just in his first 30 days. Some of us want to weed out through the various republicans and find small government types. It’s a process that will take a while.

I personally am rooting for Romney but I would be happy with any small government person. I am at a point Id even vote for a pro abortion republican if he were small government and that is something I didn’t think I would ever do.

Werbung:
I am not sure how you reach this conclusion, because they are the Governors representing the GOP in two of the largest states in the country. Has anyone thought they might know more about the actual needs than the people in DC? .

I come to this conclusion because its true. Something like 22 governors are talking about rejecting (parts) of the “stim” bill that will force the state to keep funding aspects of it after the money runs out. Only Arnie and Crist are saying more more please, we will even take the money other states say they don’t want. I admit I am shocked at Crist, he seemed fairly conservative. Arnold is a pure rino. The republican party would be fools to take his advice on just about anything political.

Now this I get a kick out of, the GOP has the most effective non violent attack machine in world politics today, short of Hugo Chavez. I think of the utterly lowball attacks directed towards John Kerry in 2004, and the dozens of effective GOP attacks of local Congressional races. I think an important one to note is that of the GOP when it came to Sean Parnell, current Lt. Governor of Alaska in his bid to unseat long standing Rep. Young in Alaska.
Then of course there quiet but prevalent questions about his Democratic opponent in the general election of Ethan Berkowitz and his Jewish faith. .

I don’t know much at all about Alaska politics, but as for John Freaking Kerry (who served in Vietnam) he did a fine job losing all on his own with his own history and his own actions.

As you said before the GOP is fractured. They cant figure out which way is up, and it has cost them dearly. Until collectively they can realize that they are no longer conservative as a party and provide a leader to point them in a direction that leads to the root of the party, then the GOP is destined to defeat.

The GOP’s biggest problem is they think trying to act like democrat light can actually work and thinking if they compromise there will be peace between the two groups.

There will NEVER be peace between conservatives and liberals. It’s like saying there can be peace between a cobra and a Mongoose.

American people deserve a choice and not that one of choices is just a watered down version of the other choice. And that was the choice between McCain and obama.

Back