Is homosexuality a choice or is it genetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If science were to find a gene that determines sexual orientation, it would ultimately destroy the so called gay community. Proving a genetic cause might legitimize homosexuality in some people's minds. But if science can determine the genetic makeup of a child during pregnancy; then obviously parents can decide to abort based on that information. I wonder how many parents would choose to have a gay child? My guess would be not many.

Werbung:
Psychologically, it is not a choice but obviously any action in response to those feelings, emotions, and desires is a choice. A true homosexual is a person who has those feelings, emotions, and desires. Anyone can imitate homosexual behavior without actually being a homosexual. That said, there are plenty of studies which demonstrate that true homosexuality does indeed have genetic, anatomical, and biological causes.

Exactly! There's a difference between homosexual behavior and being homosexual.

If science were to find a gene that determines sexual orientation, it would ultimately destroy the so called gay community. Proving a genetic cause might legitimize homosexuality in some people's minds. But if science can determine the genetic makeup of a child during pregnancy; then obviously parents can decide to abort based on that information. I wonder how many parents would choose to have a gay child? My guess would be not many.

The whole issue of selective abortion for reasons like that -or even birth defects (or what people think of as defects) is a whole can of worms.

Why cant you just go with someone like this?
amazon_bride.jpg

At least she`ll cook,clean and rub your back

The Humane Genome project was a remarkable accomplishment but it didn't even begin to determine what the genes the project identified actually do. We're many years away from being able to create what geneticists have come to call "designer babies" and there are serious ethical concerns being raised regarding any ability to create them. Honestly, I don't believe it would be possible to identify a "gay gene" and remove it in the hope of preventing homosexual behavior because whether or not a person, regardless of their sexuality, acts upon their impulses is not determined by genetics. There are plenty of truly homosexual men and women who never act upon those desires and there are plenty of truly heterosexual men and women who experiment with their sexuality. You can't prevent behavior by removing a gene.

Many genetic traits are also polygenetic, and/or don't express themselves unless the right combination of environmental conditions occur. I suspect the biological basis for homosexuality is probably along that line.

I dont want the sheep. I want a real girl.And you can have the construction man with his 8 inch tool included :D

Werbung:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back