Religions are fairy tales for adults. Should we encourage them to grow up?

Stuff being forced on children is always a problem with libertarian thinking. Sure, I think people should be free to do what they want, as long as they don't hurt others. However, it's very easy to force things on impressionable children. Even in my own family, I think certain family members allow small children to watch Freddy Kruger movies, simply cause they have no standards.

As a final note, a lot of kids have been exposed to games like Grand Theft Auto. However, the values taught on the game are horrible. A kid learns stealing, profanity, and violence. Nonetheless, among certain macho subcultures, exposing that to kids isn't a big deal, along with secondhand smoke. Ultimately, if the parent has no values, chances are, he will force such a way of thinking on his offspring.

Anyhow, here is another question, "Is religious indoctrination necessary to keep people from forcing a trashy lifestyle on thier offspring?".

Last edited:
Werbung:
I do think it works both ways though, and a few years ago to bring your child up as a God fearing Christian was seen as the right thing to do. These days though, if you take your children to church your seen to be brainwashing them.

For me, religion is a personal matter and should be kept and treated that way. If I was religious (I'm not by the way) it wouldn't matter to me what people thought, even if they did think that what I believed in was a fairy tale.

There's no point in trying to force your opinions on people that don't want to accept them, and sometimes it's better to just let people live how they want to, especially if what they believe isntvaffecting you directly.

I agree with all but your last.

We both have a duty to our society to do and that includes protecting the less intelligent and gullible.

If we are to do unto others, and we do not want to be taken advantage of, then we must return the favor.

We are all in this together, alone, and imagine how ugly this world would be if we did not correct each other. Please rethink.

Regards
DL

Well, people indoctrinate their children with all sorts of things, including anti-religious dogma. Schools indoctrinate children with all kinds of garbage too. So, I guess we shouldn't wave pitchforks at people for taking their kids to Sunday School. If it's cult-like (or hate group stuff) then yeah, there are concerns.

What religion does not hate most other religions or those not in theirs?

Both Christianity and Islam both hate to a high degree and Inquisitions and jihads prove this.

Regards
DL

Stuff being forced on children is always a problem with libertarian thinking. Sure, I think people should be free to do what they want, as long as they don't hurt others. However, it's very easy to force things on impressionable children. Even in my own family, I think certain family members allow small children to watch Freddy Kruger movies, simply cause they have no standards.

As a final note, a lot of kids have been exposed to games like Grand Theft Auto. However, the values taught on the game are horrible. A kid learns stealing, profanity, and violence. Nonetheless, among certain macho subcultures, exposing that to kids isn't a big deal, along with secondhand smoke. Ultimately, if the parent has no values, chances are, he will force such a way of thinking on his offspring.

Anyhow, here is another question, "Is religious indoctrination necessary to keep people from forcing a trashy lifestyle on thier offspring?".

Not if you view the stats where it shows the less religious the system and people, the better they are at being law abiding and moral citizens.

Take the U.S., a Christian nation, yet it has the highest numbers in jails and the most abortions of all the free nations and most of the not so free nations.

Regards
DL

I do think it works both ways though, and a few years ago to bring your child up as a God fearing Christian was seen as the right thing to do. These days though, if you take your children to church your seen to be brainwashing them.

Fearing God is a stupid way to teach a child to respect a God for his morals.

Then again, Christians and Muslims do not seem to care about morals and follow a religion built on immoral concepts.

Regards
DL

Fearing God is a stupid way to teach a child to respect a God for his morals.

Then again, Christians and Muslims do not seem to care about morals and follow a religion built on immoral concepts.

Regards
DL

To be honest I think God fearing was just a term used, I font actually think people did bring their children up to actually be afraid of him.

If they did, then your absolutely right, and that's probably the worst thing they could do.

I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say that's all they want to do, but I do think that a lot of them do rule with fear rather than common sense and reasoning.

Actually, I think Hell is a false doctrine which was originally promoted cause the Roman Catholic church wanted to scare ignorant peasants. Of course, the Protestants reformed many RC doctrines, but the Hell one remained. Hell has no real Biblical justification.

The Hell doctrine really is horrible, and provides a lot of fuel for radical atheists who want to dismiss Christianity. For instance, if God is so loving, then how can he torture souls for an endless period of time? What purpose does that torture serve? Would you punish a child for an eternity?

Last edited:
While I'm not a fan or avid follower of religion, isn't hell supposed to be run by the devil? I'm guessing God wouldn't have any jurisdiction on how he runs that place...I've just read that back and realised just how ridiculous that sounds to myself by the way, so I'm not sure how religions have got other people to fall for it!

While I'm not a fan or avid follower of religion, isn't hell supposed to be run by the devil? I'm guessing God wouldn't have any jurisdiction on how he runs that place...I've just read that back and realised just how ridiculous that sounds to myself by the way, so I'm not sure how religions have got other people to fall for it!

I'm not sure if most of what your saying is Biblical, or just popular myth. Actually, it is true that God has power over Hell, hence why many would blame him for the endless torture and whatnot that goes on there. Also, it is stated in Revelations, Satan, himself, will be punished eventually.

Well it certainly isn't biblical, I can tell you that for nothing.

Ask the majority of people, religious or not and you'll get God is in heaven, in the blue sky and you go there if your good. If your bad then you'll go down below, underground to the red flames of hell, controlled by the devil.

I think that's a pretty popular take or myth on how the system works?

Well it certainly isn't biblical, I can tell you that for nothing.

Ask the majority of people, religious or not and you'll get God is in heaven, in the blue sky and you go there if your good. If your bad then you'll go down below, underground to the red flames of hell, controlled by the devil.

I think that's a pretty popular take or myth on how the system works?

Most people know little about the Bible. It might even be true athiests know more about it. Generally, people don't learn much at church. They just sing songs and listen to the same sermons over and over.

Werbung:
Generally, people don't learn much at church. They just sing songs and listen to the same sermons over and over.

Funny you should say that. My grandmother used to go to church on a Sunday as she got older, I'm guessing she thought if there was one, then when you get into your 80's, now is the time to try and get on the right side of him!

My grandfather always said though she's just gone for a singsong and to listen to a few stories, looking back he was probably right!

Back