So the Catholic Church will now conduct a truth/lie questionair before communion?

ASPCA4EVER

Land of the JAYHAWKS-ROCK CHOCK Jayhawk, KU
Rep. Kennedy: I’m barred from communion

Rhode Island congressman says his abortion stance sparked bishop’s move

Rep. Patrick Kennedy, D-R.I. speaks during a health care news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, in September.
Harry Hamburg / AP

APTRANS.gif

updated 2 hours, 36 minutes ago

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Roman Catholic Bishop Thomas Tobin has banned Rep. Patrick Kennedy
2_bing.gif
from receiving Communion, the central sacrament of the church, in Rhode Island because of the congressman's support for abortion rights, Kennedy said in a newspaper interview published Sunday.
The decision by the outspoken prelate, reported on The Providence Journal's Web site, significantly escalates a bitter dispute between Tobin, an ultra orthodox bishop, and Kennedy, a son of the nation's most famous Roman Catholic family.
"The bishop instructed me not to take Communion and said that he has instructed the diocesan priests not to give me Communion," Kennedy told the paper in an interview conducted Friday.

Kennedy said the bishop had explained the penalty by telling him "that I am not a good practicing Catholic because of the positions that I've taken as a public official," particularly on abortion.
He declined to say when or how Tobin told him not to take the sacrament. And he declined to say whether he has obeyed the bishop's injunction.
The paper said the bishop's spokesman declined to address the question of whether he had told Kennedy not to receive Communion. But the bishop's office cast doubt on Kennedy's related assertion about instructions to state priests.
"Bishop Tobin has never addressed matters relative to public officials receiving Holy Communion with pastors of the diocese," spokesman Michael K. Guilfoyle told the paper in an e-mailed statement.
Communion can be received elsewhere
Church law permits Tobin to ban Kennedy from receiving Communion within the Diocese of Providence, which covers Rhode Island, but he cannot stop Kennedy from receiving Communion elsewhere. It was unclear whether bishops overseeing Washington and Massachusetts, where Kennedy's family has a seaside compound, would issue similar bans.
Kennedy could appeal the decision to officials in the Vatican
2_bing.gif
, but the hierarchy of the Catholic church is unlikely to overturn a bishop, said Michael Sean Winters, a church observer and author of "Left At the Altar: How Democrats Lost The Catholics And How Catholics Can Save The Democrats."
"It's really bad theology," said Winters, who opposes abortion. "You're turning the altar rail into a battle field, a political battlefield no less, and it does a disservice to the Eucharist."
The dispute between the two men began in October when Kennedy in an interview on CNSNews.com criticized the nation's Catholic bishops for threatening to oppose a massive expansion of the nation's health care system
2_bing.gif
unless it included tighter restrictions on federally funded abortion.
Kennedy voted against an amendment to a Democratic health care plan sought by the bishops. But he voted in favor of a health care plan that included the amendment he opposed.
Tobin, the spiritual leader of the nation's most heavily Roman Catholic state, demanded an apology from Kennedy after learning of his remarks and requested a meeting.

"While I greatly respect the Catholic Church and its leaders, like many Rhode Islanders, the fact that I disagree with the hierarchy of the church on some issues does not make me any less of a Catholic," Kennedy wrote in a letter to Tobin, agreeing to a sitdown. "I embrace my faith which acknowledges the existence of an imperfect humanity."
Their meeting fell apart. While Tobin called it a mutual decision, Kennedy accused Tobin of failing to abide by an agreement to stop discussing the congressman's faith publicly.
Tobin followed up with a biting public letter published in a diocesan newspaper.
"Sorry, you can't chalk it up to an 'imperfect humanity.' Your position is unacceptable to the Church and scandalous to many of our members. It absolutely diminishes your Communion with the Church," Tobin wrote.
In subsequent interviews, Tobin said Kennedy should not receive Communion like other Catholic politicians who support abortion rights. Still, the bishop stopped short of ordering Kennedy not to receive the sacrament.

<for the rest of this story>
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34091312/ns/us_news-faith/

What a can of worms the this Bishop seems 'hell-bent' on opening and fueling the fires...

As this chess match moves around the game board...who will win out in the end...how many other 'GOOD CATHOLIC' will feel the wrath of this BISHOP?

Werbung:
There should be no pedophile priests :( They should have been kicked out as soon as they were caught
But that is not what the historic response to pedophile priests has been. The church treated pedophile priests as "sinners" who had to repent(and then re-assigning them to other perishes where they continued to molest), instead of what they were: perverts.

They should not have kicked them out of the church, they should have turned them over to the police for prosecution. But, being more concerned for protecting the church than its people, the corrupt Roman Catholic Church chose to hide the problem.

But that is not what the historic response to pedophile priests has been. The church treated pedophile priests as "sinners" who had to repent(and then re-assigning them to other perishes where they continued to molest), instead of what they were: perverts.

They should not have kicked them out of the church, they should have turned them over to the police for prosecution. But, being more concerned for protecting the church than its people, the corrupt Roman Catholic Church chose to hide the problem.

I agree with you, they should have been arrested as well as kicked out.
and I agree with you that the church hid and probably still hides the problem.

From what I read, this is an American priest problem, they dont have the same issues in other countries but I dont know why that would be.

Either way, they should have been kicked out of the priest hood and turned into the police

From what I read, this is an American priest problem, they dont have the same issues in other countries but I dont know why that would be.

Either way, they should have been kicked out of the priest hood and turned into the police

Not being a 'Catholic' but finding this really fascinating; the Catholic Church just relocated the perpetrators to other countries: England/Canada/Africa/Asia and for all of those locations the circumstances just kept right on happening only not as highly reported and media spot lighted as in our country!

Not being a 'Catholic' but finding this really fascinating; the Catholic Church just relocated the perpetrators to other countries: England/Canada/Africa/Asia and for all of those locations the circumstances just kept right on happening only not as highly reported and media spot lighted as in our country!

What they did with the priests is flat wrong. I still do not understand why the police never arrested any of them. At least I dont know of any they arrested, and every one of them should have been.

I do not understand why they were not ex communicated either, many have been for much less offenses.

But I am with them on the thread topic. But they shouldnt just deny communion to those who advocate for abortion, they should do it for all the things that are against the church's teachings.

There should be no pedophile priests :( They should have been kicked out as soon as they were caught

But they weren't, they were sheltered and protected while the Catholic church continued its pogrom of hatred towards gay and transpeople. Even now they are, the Catholic church raised about half a million to help prevent gay people from marrying in Maine. Hate is not a family value.

It isn NOT just an American problem. Some of the stories coming out of Ireland will make you hair stand on end.

I do not understand why they were not ex communicated either, many have been for much less offenses.

They are responding within the confines of their own dogma. Their stand on homosexuality is that it is a sinful behavior, not a condition that people are born with. Therefore, they want the priests to confess, do their penance, and never sin (do homosexual deeds), again. They remain oblivious that such offenders have a life long affinity for their same-sex pedophilia. Such people are usually, if not always, repeat offenders until stopped by incarceration.

The Catholic Church's priority is perpetuating the entity that is the church not service to, or the well being of its parishioners. In short, the "Holy Church" is more important than the people.

So the questions are:

Does the Catholic Church have the RIGHT to question their parishioners on the LAW?

Does the Catholic Church have the RIGHT to question their parishioners on anything that the BISHOP feels is worthy of his finite attention?

Maybe it's us who should be questioning the Bishops.

But they weren't, they were sheltered and protected while the Catholic church continued its pogrom of hatred towards gay and transpeople. Even now they are, the Catholic church raised about half a million to help prevent gay people from marrying in Maine. Hate is not a family value.

If a person takes Gen seriously about marriage being between a man and a woman, that does not mean they hate homosexuals. Lots and lots of people including myself thinks homosexual couples should have all the rights a traditionally married couple has minus the title.

Personally I do not think there should be any limits on marriage, anyone or anything to any one or any thing in groups or singles for any reason. But I want it titled Government marriage or civil marriage.

Why do you turn every thread into a homosexual marriage thread?

Werbung:
Back