We should raise the voting age to 21

Steveox, you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Boot camp? National service? Apart from the fact that you are obviously too young to be out of High School, if you are middle aged etc. you would also never have served in Military service because during your lifetime it was never compulsory. You've also admited your a fat diabetic, so I can't see you doing very well in the military Steve (not you R0beph). You also try and get military discounts when you are not in the military, somehow I just don't think you would fit.

Werbung:
Steveox, you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Boot camp? National service? Apart from the fact that you are obviously too young to be out of High School, if you are middle aged etc. you would also never have served in Military service because during your lifetime it was never compulsory. You've also admited your a fat diabetic, so I can't see you doing very well in the military Steve (not you R0beph). You also try and get military discounts when you are not in the military, somehow I just don't think you would fit.

Well well, I'm a skinny diabetic...>:O.... i digress..

I don't like the idea of compulsory military, however lets shift this idealism, TO voting. Compulsory voting. Many countries do it. No longer will just the extreme groups have the major say, you know, large congregations of sheep (not any particular brand of sheep, just any) who are following the same ideals and feel so strongly that they all vote, where as those who may disagree don't vote as they don't really feel their vote matters or they just don't feel like they have the time, screw them, they need to vote EVERYONE needs to vote it should be a REQUIREMENT BY LAW TO VOTE. Brasil does it, many countries do it, and I think it makes the most sense. I see other people talking bout how kids shouldn't cos they don't understand for example taxation on their checks and how it effects them blah blah blah, but then what you're saying is that only like minded people such as yourself (to whomever said this) should be able to vote, it's not truly directed at younger voters, but just those who'd be pro taxation in general, though obviously such a statement as this would be met with fierce ridicule, and you'll make do with the younger voters don't understand spiel. Everyone, 100% should vote, I don't think the ability to understand the issues at hand matter much, cos from what I can tell at the past view votes I've observed, a lot of people don't seem to understand **** or their understanding is of ignorance....(recently a nearby city voted NO to new taxes, which is fine, the school needs the money, but hey the schools are also funded by alcohol taxation, but wait....the ballot also included banning alcohol in the county, they voted yes to the ban....so these schools in one of the poorer counties here is now going to be in some serious **** cos of this, and that's no hype, they're already running red... economics are gonna go down, business closing, workers losing jobs, chain resturaunts won't open cos they have a couple beer taps in every store, and so on...its gonna be a mess, would youngsters not being able to vote change this? No in all likelyhood it'd actually have skewed more in the favor of the ban/no taxes, most the kids I saw on tv about the vote were all on and on bout how their schools can't afford new books and this and that using 8 yr old text books that batrely hold together and such) So I think 100% vote compulsion is necessary that way you can drown out the ignorance with your own vote and not rely on others to do it when you simply don't have time....that's my say.

Compulsory military service takes it a bit far. Compulsory public service...well, there may be something there.

Has anyone here read Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers? If not, pick it up. It's nothing like the movie. It's more about Heinlein's political ideology, which is worth taking a look at.

It's also a pretty entertaining book, even for people who aren't into science fiction.

But compulsory voting goes against the basic principle of voting, giving people a choice. If they want to be moronic enough as not to vote for any party, then so be it.

R_LEE_ERMY.jpg

JUST FOR THAT REMARK , DROP EM AND GIMME 20!!

But compulsory voting goes against the basic principle of voting, giving people a choice. If they want to be moronic enough as not to vote for any party, then so be it.

Yeah, I'm with 9sub here. If we force people to vote then there is no hope that our political system would get any better because it would be the same "lesser evil" philosophy in every election. But when you give people a choice, as in 2006 where you have conservatives who were upset with the sitting Republicans about spending and the border -- they stayed home and as a result, every Republican incumbent in a close race lost. Hopefully, this sent a message to the Republicans who will be forced to return to their core doctrine of true conservatism or continue being voted out of office.

Yeah, I'm with 9sub here. If we force people to vote then there is no hope that our political system would get any better because it would be the same "lesser evil" philosophy in every election. But when you give people a choice, as in 2006 where you have conservatives who were upset with the sitting Republicans about spending and the border -- they stayed home and as a result, every Republican incumbent in a close race lost. Hopefully, this sent a message to the Republicans who will be forced to return to their core doctrine of true conservatism or continue being voted out of office.

I don't mean they must vote for SOMEONE, but rather, always include an opt out option. Getting them to the polls would be the only compulsory ruling.

Compulsory military service takes it a bit far. Compulsory public service...well, there may be something there.

Has anyone here read Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers? If not, pick it up. It's nothing like the movie. It's more about Heinlein's political ideology, which is worth taking a look at.

It's also a pretty entertaining book, even for people who aren't into science fiction.

I thought the same thing when I first read his post...lol would you like to more?

What you think MTV puts ads calling "" ROCK THE VOTE"" Now who watches MTV? KIDS!!! Thats why we should raise the voting age to 21. Cause if you remember when MTV interviewed Bill Clinton they asked him "" If you inhaled again would you do it?"" He said Oh Yeah id do it again. See just how immature that question was? Cause Kids think its pretty cool to ask the president if he would do drugs again? :rolleyes:

If you argue they aren't mature enough to vote, then they certainly are not mature enough to go out on the field of battle to protect their country.

Werbung:
Absolutely not. It should be lowered to 16. At 16 years old, you can drive and you're deciding what college to go to, but you can't vote? I do think, however, that you should have to pass a test that shows that you know which person is running for which party, so we ensure that there's not people who are voting, for example, for Marco Rubio because he has a cool name. Age and intelligence have no ties whatsoever once cognative function is fully developed (which happens around puberty).

Back