How will insurance Co's survive when no one pays premiums until they're sick?

Little-Acorn

As pointed out in another thread, the most likely version of Obamacare requires insurance companies to sign people up even if they have a "pre-existing condition"... and the plan levies a relatively small fine on people who don't carry insurance.

So it makes clear economic sense for people to drop their health insurance and pay the fine, until they actually get sick or injured. Then they can sign up to have insurance companies pay for their medical care, paying the normal premiums, stay until the problem is remedied, and then drop the insurance again.

My question is:

How can the insurance companies survive when more and more of their "customers" do this?

A company is practically guaranteed under this plan, to get almost no premium payments from their "customers". And only then if they are simultaneously paying out much higher amounts for the medical care that EVERY customer needs. Customers who don't need medical care, have dropped their insurance (until the next sickness or injury). Even if the govt sends them money from the fines, it is a much smaller amount than ordinary premiums would be.

Any way you look at it, the cash flow is negative. This plan pretty much guarantees that insurance companies always pay out more than they take in.

How, exactly, will these companies survive economically?

When I ask this, I often hear snarls of "Oh, you're on the insurance companies' side, eh?"... especially when the snarler cannot answer the questions.

Is this the ultimate "revenge of the liberals"? Where angry leftists get to legally damage (or destroy?) insurance companies they imagine have somehow wronged them? Without having to prove to anyone they've actually been harmed?

Werbung:
How, exactly, will these companies survive economically?​
They don't DESERVE to "survive"!!!!!!!

"The current system, for example, lets doctors who cause infections through improper hand-washing send more bills to treat it. In effect, doctors are paid more if they make mistakes and fix them than if they get it right the first time. Tens of thousands of medical errors are committed every year, ranging from gross errors such as the amputation of the wrong leg to accidental errors in dosing medication."

They don't DESERVE to "survive"!!!!!!!

They won't survive, that is the plan. Business can pay thousands of dollars a year per employee for health care, or a $750 dollar per year fine if they choose not to cover them. Hmm, where is the economic inducement? Towards dropping health care and leaving only the government policy as an alternative. It isn't even subtle.

and the Saga continues....Can't wait till Immigration Reform rears it's ugly head. Get ready kids because it's going to get a lot worse...

Miss_Cleo.jpg

and the Saga continues....Can't wait till Immigration Reform rears it's ugly head. Get ready kids because it's going to get a lot worse...

I wonder how many people are employed by Insurance companies? How many will lose their jobs. You can just add them to the rolls of un-employment that Obama is racking up.

Way to go Team Obama! That's using your heads to help fix unemployment.

I wonder how many people are employed by Insurance companies? How many will lose their jobs. You can just add them to the rolls of un-employment that Obama is racking up.

Way to go Team Obama! That's using your heads to help fix unemployment.

I read 2.3 million this morning...it didn't break down specifics, but most larger insurance companies provide health, life, home and auto.

I wonder how many people are employed by Insurance companies? How many will lose their jobs.
Gee....lemme guess.....now, health-insurance-companies are too-big-to-fail, huh....even though they've BEEN getting $ub$idie$ (to cover Medicare D legislation)????

Sounds like someone is in the WRONG BUSINESS!

:rolleyes:

I read 2.3 million this morning...it didn't break down specifics, but most larger insurance companies provide health, life, home and auto.
Ah, yes....let's bundle ALL insurance-companies, to support your sophomoric-argument.

We're talkin' HEALTH-INSURANCE-COMPANIES, here.....you know, like HMOs???!!!!

Ask your Mommy & Daddy. They'll straighten-you-out.....

Ah, yes....let's bundle ALL insurance-companies, to support your sophomoric-argument.

We're talkin' HEALTH-INSURANCE-COMPANIES, here.....you know, like HMOs???!!!!

Ask your Mommy & Daddy. They'll straighten-you-out.....

Or we can eliminate private insurance...as you have presented, and have a few taxpayers pay for cradle to grave security for everyone via government.

Trickle up poverty...the laughable leftist dream of "social justice"

Werbung:
Gee....lemme guess.....now, health-insurance-companies are too-big-to-fail, huh....even though they've BEEN getting $ub$idie$ (to cover Medicare D legislation)????

Sounds like someone is in the WRONG BUSINESS!

I never said that. I just made the point that this will cost even more jobs.

Isn't jobs one of the important issues Obama said he would correct? It's just another example how this administration keeps on with the double-speak.

After Pelosi said this bill would create jobs. WTF? What jobs.. IRS jobs. Wait.. that's govt jobs. That doesn't help the privte sector.

Back