1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

O'Reilly compliments Obama

Discussion in 'Elections & Political Parties' started by Popeye, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

In another thread I stated that I didn't think it was a good idea Obama going on BillO's show. Perhaps I was wrong, seems that if nothing else he's won the respect of O'Reilly and just maybe that will translate to some of his viewers. I can just hear some of those loyal O'Reilly watchers grinding their teeth as they read this.

http://www.billoreilly.com/newslettercolumn?pid=24183

2. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

Bill is pretty fair, he has never been on the obama attack wagon. but they are constantly accusing him of it

3. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

I rarely watch O'Reilly, he's on the same time as Olbermann. The times I have seen him I've usually turned it off in disgust. I have however listened to his radio show and that's just attack Democrats all the time.

There's a reason he's accused of being in the tank for the GOP and McCain.

4. all_arm

all_arm New Member

can't say i've kept up on o'reilly recently, but to say he's fair is patently untrue. this is a guy who routinely cuts the mics of people who disagree with him, who makes threats to callers on air, and who sends his cronies to harass people he has a vendetta against.

that said, all the credit in the world to him for treating obama civilly, and recognizing that he's not evil and incompetent just because he's on the other team. it's more than i can say for some of the conservatives here, and even sometimes myself.

5. GenSeneca

GenSeneca Well-Known Member

You should hear the things you guys say about McCain.... Everytime you say McCain=Bush, you are insulting McCain with all the insults hurled at Bush. McCain=Bush makes just as much sense as Obama=Hitler, and I'll gladly call Obama Hitler everytime I hear McCain made out to be Bush 3. Thats the New Patriotism expressed by the Left....

I gave up on issues since the only thing I ever hear is Character attacks on McCain and Palin... But if you really want a civil discussion about Obama: Defend his policies and positions as being something other than fanciful and reckless.

Nobody else here has managed to go farther than Obama's talking points without guessing (this is a result of Obama lacking specifics and substance), see if you can do better:

AN OBAMA ISSUE

6. all_arm

all_arm New Member

the difference is that mccain has voted with bush 90% of the time, and wants to continue several bush policies should he be elected. this is 100% true.

it's hard to jump into a pre-existing 7 page thread, but tell me what you'd like to know about obama's position on issues and i'd be happy to engage in a civil discussion.

i just can't be expected to do that when posters like libsmoocher run around posting ignorant, dismissive bullcrap in response to anything that differs from their views, even when definitively proven wrong.

7. Pandora

they ALL voted with bush 90 percent of the time. Most of the stupid things they vote on are things everyone agrees on

8. Pandora

I dont personally like bill but he is fair, and he does not send his cronies to harrass people who he has vendettas against he sends reporters to people who make up lies about him or lies about fox news and confronts them on their lies, they almost always turn to jello because they are spineless weasles.

9. Pandora

He attacks more than dems but it is mostly dems. its always the same stuff though, lies without basis he exposese it, if dorks like michael moore wouldnt act retarded bill wouldnt talk about them

10. all_arm

all_arm New Member

in 2002 or 2003, mccain voted with the administration only 30% of the time. most democrats are in the 20-40% range. but in bush's second term he has agreed with nearly all significant legislature supported by bush. it's disingenuous to say there there hasn't been a change or that it's not significantly different from most senators.

11. Pandora

show me where you are getting these numbers

12. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

The fact that you are defending O'Reilly, and taking into account your political leanings, really sort of makes my point doesn't it?

There's nothing wring with BillO being in the tank for McCain, just wish he would be more upfront about it is all. Olbermann doesn't pretend, why should O'Reilly?

13. all_arm

all_arm New Member

that's not true. he sent a guy to pester bill moyers a few weeks ago, for what reason i'm not sure, and moyers told the guy off brilliantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_2IZT4VgDY

there are at least half a dozen other instances i've heard of, but can't find the links in a quick search.

o'rly presents his opinion as fact in such a gross, hamfisted way that in comparison, keith olbermann IS unbiased.

(note: i do not actually think ko is unbiased. both men host opinion shows, the difference being that o'reilly claims his show is exclusively fact-based [no-spin zone, etc.] whereas olbermann makes no bones about HIS show being about HIS views.)

14. Pandora

I really dont think bill is in the tank for McCain, I think he would rather bob barr. He did a number of interviews with McCain and he called him on his liberal crap.

I dont like bill O, he bugs me and I have not watched as much as I guess I should for defending him.

I dont like keith either, he really irritates me but tonight its Rachel Maddow so Ill probably watch, usually I watch anderson cooper and cook dinner :)

15. all_arm

all_arm New Member

the numbers are from congressional quarterly, which i would link for you but it seems to be a pay service.

i did get the numbers wrong though, here they are based on a google search for the cq statistics:

2001----91%

2002----90%

2003----91%

2004----92%

2005----77%

2006----89%

2007----95%

the lowest was actually 77%, in 2005.

obama has ranged between 30 and 40% voting with the administration, which is about standard for democrats.

my bad on the wrong numbers, but the point stands.