Palin: An Alaskans Perspective

what do you mean "she also has made her children and family part of her platform"

She was introduced with McCain and her family was there, she spoke of her life that includes her family, other than that I am not sure what you mean?

Obama uses his wife and kids constantly in his "who I am and what I am about" but no one expects his kids should be attacked

I dont think her kids should be attacked. The announcement came because way back when she first had Trig, the far right in Alaska who hates her claimed she wasnt the real mother and it was Bristol's baby. It was though absurd here, and got picked up nationally. Which caused them to make the announcement and end that rumor that Trig in fact was not the child of Bristol and couldnt be, because in fact she was also pregnant at age 17.

She has always played her family in the forefront in Alaska. Todd is known as the Shadow Governor, she often has her children out in public and on the campaign trail. I am not saying the tactic is right, but both sides do it.

Werbung:
Well just wait, there is plenty more skeletons to come out.

Well, something to keep in mind is that she is supporting development of Pebble Mine. Which her Mother in Law owns the largest hardware store in the region and is already indirectly funneling potentially millions if not more to that business.

She certainly has exposed them to racism among its worst forms in this state. And was Mayor of the community that was/is a hot bed for racial tension in this state.

With such little known about her outside of Alaska, the hits will only continue and get worse. Which as a personal note, and having known Todd, Sarah and family for a long time, Id rather not get thier names dragged through the mud, but she just went from the minor leagues to the World Series.

She is going to have to beat some pretty bad crap for me to think as low of her as I do Obama.

I do not see how she can have the kind of curruption we see in Obama, but I will watch and I will change my mind and vote 3d party if she can even come close to Obamas curruption.

She is going to have to beat some pretty bad crap for me to think as low of her as I do Obama.
I have known for awhile your mind was made up ;)
I do not see how she can have the kind of curruption we see in Obama, but I will watch and I will change my mind and vote 3d party if she can even come close to Obamas curruption.
Well I think corruption is probably the wrong word to use for either person. I have had my share of that in Alaska with various lawmakers and politicians.
I think it is important though to keep in mind that politicians, especially those who reach the Presidential level are forced into being morally flexible or they dont get elected.

In some ways she is a good pick for McCain. Dont get me wrong on that, as I said earlier, he took Alaska out of play, when Obama had a serious shot at winning it. He probably shored up some of the holes he was percieved to have. But what really has me concerned is her ascending to the top spot, which is a reasonable consideration when taking into account McCains age and past health issues.

Well just wait, there is plenty more skeletons to come out.

This is from the one person on this board who likely knew her before she was named as VP candidate. If there are any serious skeletons, then McCain's gamble just might not pay off.

I really wanted him to name Romney, but then, I wanted him to be the party's nominee, too.

I suppose credentials as a real honest to goodness fiscally responsible candidate aren't enough to win.

I have known for awhile your mind was made up ;)

Well I think corruption is probably the wrong word to use for either person. I have had my share of that in Alaska with various lawmakers and politicians.
I think it is important though to keep in mind that politicians, especially those who reach the Presidential level are forced into being morally flexible or they dont get elected.

In some ways she is a good pick for McCain. Dont get me wrong on that, as I said earlier, he took Alaska out of play, when Obama had a serious shot at winning it. He probably shored up some of the holes he was percieved to have. But what really has me concerned is her ascending to the top spot, which is a reasonable consideration when taking into account McCains age and past health issues.

My mind was not made up. I was thinking Barr or Ron Paul, not because I like them all that much but McCain really makes me mad, still does. But this has changed many things. He has actually for the first time shown respect to conservatives. I said many times I would vote McCain if he picked Romney but not if he picked any abortion person and never if he picked that stupid huckabump. I had never thought he would pick her, but I am glad she did.

I know a lot of hillary voters, they wont vote Obama and I have never tried to get them to vote McCain. I tell them I think they should write in Hillarys name but I am going to start trying to persuade them to vote Palin and ignore McCain :)

I disagree that curruption is the wrong word to use for Obama.

He gave millions in earmarks to his wifes work, she went from 50 thousand a year to 350 thousand a year because of his earmarks. He lied and said she was not on the payroll when he did this, but IRS said she was.

he gave thousands to Father Flaigher (spelling) millions to rezco and his associates

there is absolute curruption with Obama

And fair enough. You, me and everyone else on this site knows you wont be supporting Obama regardless. You despise the man, and that is your right.
I see what you are saying, and will add that I find there are generally four levels of corruption that is inherent among democratically elected officials.

1. The illegal variety that is proven in a court of law where the offenders are convicted and punished.
2. The illegal variety that for a variety of reasons, that while breaks the law, goes unpunished.
3. The type that doesnt break the law, but is a questionable activity to most people.
4. The type that doesnt break the law but it questionable to those who are somehow offended by it.

My point in the whole list here is to make the distinction that "corruption" is by definition the legal variety. But being corrupt is largely a matter of perception.

This is from the one person on this board who likely knew her before she was named as VP candidate.
Before she was VP candidate? I knew her before she was a City Council candidate. Her husband Todd, has raced the Iron Dog with a close family friend and won together in 2007. In the early 90s they were also closely connected. Back when Sarah was Sarah. She has stayed more than a few times at my family cabin. There was a time when I used to have a commercial set net sight just up 4 places from the Palins. While I am not pretending to be a Palin insider by any means. Sarah knows my first name and up until a few weeks ago, probably return my phone call. Now, well who knows the next time she will even be in the state. I also have worked for her In-laws at thier hardware store. Which is the largest in the region. An area the size of Georgia.
If there are any serious skeletons, then McCain's gamble just might not pay off.
I guess it depends on what one defines as serious. I knew already that Bristol was likely pregnant. I knew right away that would be news. I am surprised the left hasnt taken more issue with the failure of abstinence only education.
Most of the other stuff that will come out are more judgement calls and potentially embarrassing, but I unless there is some deep secrets
I really wanted him to name Romney, but then, I wanted him to be the party's nominee, too.

I suppose credentials as a real honest to goodness fiscally responsible candidate aren't enough to win.
Well in Palins defense she has proven herself to be fiscally responsible. Despite massive surpluses, she has vetoed a considerable amount of capital spending. She has increased though the operations of government.

As a side note, in Alaska, Romney won the primary handily, and McCain took a distant 4th behind Ron Paul and Huckabee. That must be a kick in the nuts of Romney.

Before she was VP candidate? I knew her before she was a City Council candidate. Her husband Todd, has raced the Iron Dog with a close family friend and won together in 2007. In the early 90s they were also closely connected. Back when Sarah was Sarah. She has stayed more than a few times at my family cabin. There was a time when I used to have a commercial set net sight just up 4 places from the Palins. While I am not pretending to be a Palin insider by any means. Sarah knows my first name and up until a few weeks ago, probably return my phone call. Now, well who knows the next time she will even be in the state. I also have worked for her In-laws at thier hardware store. Which is the largest in the region. An area the size of Georgia.

I guess it depends on what one defines as serious. I knew already that Bristol was likely pregnant. I knew right away that would be news. I am surprised the left hasnt taken more issue with the failure of abstinence only education.
Most of the other stuff that will come out are more judgement calls and potentially embarrassing, but I unless there is some deep secrets

Well in Palins defense she has proven herself to be fiscally responsible. Despite massive surpluses, she has vetoed a considerable amount of capital spending. She has increased though the operations of government.

As a side note, in Alaska, Romney won the primary handily, and McCain took a distant 4th behind Ron Paul and Huckabee. That must be a kick in the nuts of Romney.

I saw her speech last night, and thought she generated a lot of support amongst the listeners. Of course, that's another parallel with Obama: The ability to stir an audience.

Given what you know about her, do you think McCain has made an error in judgment by having named her VP?

Do you have any serious qualms about her being one 72 year old heartbeat away from the presidency?

I saw her speech last night, and thought she generated a lot of support amongst the listeners. Of course, that's another parallel with Obama: The ability to stir an audience.
She did last night, but I have also seen her flop badly. I think it would be wise to minimize her visual appearance and minimize her opportunity to answer open questions etc. She has certainly opened her mouth and inserted foot in the past.
Given what you know about her, do you think McCain has made an error in judgment by having named her VP?
Well it depends on who wins the election. Because that is the purpose of picking Palin. She doesnt fill any gaps on policy really. Her and McCain dont agree on ANWR that is for sure.
But I do question why McCain didnt go with someone else who is better known, has a broader scope of knowledge and experience and brings something additional to the ticket in terms of that.
I also seriously question her decision to accept the nomination at this point. Granted it would be very difficult for anyone in that position to say no. A few things to note though, there is very important business that she has started in Alaska and actually getting something done should be a priority as should her family be. Considering the time needed to be on the Presidential campaign trail, it would make it increasingly difficult to care for an infant and support a teenage daughter through her changing life.

I have said though among my friends, my prediction is that if McCain is in fact elected, and Palin holds the VP position, she will more than likely become President at some point.
Do you have any serious qualms about her being one 72 year old heartbeat away from the presidency?
in a word YES.

She did last night, but I have also seen her flop badly. I think it would be wise to minimize her visual appearance and minimize her opportunity to answer open questions etc. She has certainly opened her mouth and inserted foot in the past.

Well it depends on who wins the election. Because that is the purpose of picking Palin. She doesnt fill any gaps on policy really. Her and McCain dont agree on ANWR that is for sure.
But I do question why McCain didnt go with someone else who is better known, has a broader scope of knowledge and experience and brings something additional to the ticket in terms of that.
I also seriously question her decision to accept the nomination at this point. Granted it would be very difficult for anyone in that position to say no. A few things to note though, there is very important business that she has started in Alaska and actually getting something done should be a priority as should her family be. Considering the time needed to be on the Presidential campaign trail, it would make it increasingly difficult to care for an infant and support a teenage daughter through her changing life.

I have said though among my friends, my prediction is that if McCain is in fact elected, and Palin holds the VP position, she will more than likely become President at some point.

in a word YES.

If she opens her mouth and inserts her foot often enough before November, then we'll most likely have a President Obama next year, which is also kind of scary given his lack of experience.

It's beginning to look like we're screwed either way, isn't it?

If she opens her mouth and inserts her foot often enough before November, then we'll most likely have a President Obama next year, which is also kind of scary given his lack of experience.

It's beginning to look like we're screwed either way, isn't it?

I am not sure, she energized all the Conservatives. McCain is now going to be Mr. Independent for the duration to attract the independents. Now unless Palin says the most ridiculous things for the next 60 days (not likely) McCain is what will make or break the Republicans in 08.

Werbung:
I am not sure, she energized all the Conservatives. McCain is now going to be Mr. Independent for the duration to attract the independents. Now unless Palin says the most ridiculous things for the next 60 days (not likely) McCain is what will make or break the Republicans in 08.

Yes, it looks like a coin toss at this point.

And no, it isn't likely that the McCain camp is likely to give Palin a chance to demonstrate foot in mouth disease to any great extent between now and the election.

McCain is playing Mr. Independent of the Bush Administration, not really independent the Republican Party as it currently is. He's a far cry from Goldwater and Reagan, of course. He even brought in Mr. Maverick, Joe Leiberman, to show how independent he is, but the connection between Leiberman and McCain escapes me somehow.

Back