Should Terrorists be Awarded Lawyers?

Brandon

With the non-sense going down in Gitmo, an already over-talked about debate is should terrorists (and suspected terrorists) be treated underneath our legal system or face military-like tribunals?

Your thoughts?!

Werbung:
They should be given the full rights and privilages of any other criminal suspect. We do not defend democracy by gutting the bill of rights and denying people basic rights.

I agree to some extent. We shouldn't gut democracy over this issue but foreign enemies are NOT protected under OUR bill of rights.

If we want to put them on trial for crimes they should be entitled to a lawyer and a trial at the very least. If we don't consider them criminals they should have all the rights under the Geneva conventions (which our government is subverting).

really i am not sure what this is accomplishing (other then trying to attack anyone against this as soft on terror). Under the Clinton admin several terrorists were given trials in civilian courts and convicted. i don't see why we can't do it now.

I agree to some extent. We shouldn't gut democracy over this issue but foreign enemies are NOT protected under OUR bill of rights.

They are neither criminals or prisoners of war. These guys are terrorists and do not deserve the rights and privilages afforded to those captured in battle or our own citizens. I think it's a waste spending our hard earned money giving them legal defense. Let them go before the military and defend themselves.

Obviously one should not presume that an accused terrorist can be called a terrorist until convicted because burden of proof lies with the prosecution.

By principle I would think that in the interest of fairness people who are accused of acts of terrorism should be given due process, but this assertion in itself is meaningless because I think that the legal system we refer to (i.e. the one where you either hire or appoint a lawyer) requires a fundamental overhaul.

Really can you prove they are terrorists....

All of them. One of the principles of our legal system is innocent until proven guilty. And they certainly are entitled to due process and a lawyer.

They are neither criminals or prisoners of war. These guys are terrorists and do not deserve the rights and privilages afforded to those captured in battle or our own citizens. I think it's a waste spending our hard earned money giving them legal defense. Let them go before the military and defend themselves.

I believe that they do have a right to a fair trial. I'm not all that sure how military tribunals work so I don't really want to comment on if they are good or bad. If someone could clarify for me what the difference in the two are that would be great.
Do they not have a lawyer to defend them in a tribunal? And if not then I believe they should have a trial with all the benefits we would have.

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. They are entitled to the same rights and privileges we preach. I personally dont even like the patriot act in effect. The minute you take away rights its hard to get them back. :(

Well as said above, if we cut rights and treat them like dog (which sometime we could feel like doing) we would only end up being as bad (in a way) then any other scums :\

I hardly think that an organization that pride's itself by killing innocent men, women and children are considered "freedom fighters".

Again thats your preception. On the other side they dont really consider them innocent do they?

They do get a lawyer in a tribunal. War criminals and people who fall outside of the Geneva convention are often given tribunals.

As for proving they are terrorists, most of the ones at Gitmo were caught in combate fighting for Al- keda. Kind of labels them for most people.

Werbung:
But not all "terrorist" organizations pride themselves on that fact. Some of the groups who have been lumped into the terrorist category are fighting for good causes, and are doing so with minimal extremist measures.

Back