Who Wants The Job?

Greco

While focus is being given to speculation about Barack Obama’s Cabinet post selections, there’s another issue I’m really curious about. We know who’s the new leader of the Democrats. It’s Obama, but who’s going to emerge as the leader of the Republicans?

After being crushed in two consecutive national elections, they need a leader, but who? They’ve got prominent names… Newt Gingrich, Tom DeLay, Mark Foley, Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, Larry Craig, Rudy Guilliani, Alberto Gonzales, Lindsay Graham, Ted Stevens, and a few others, but who seems even remotely likely to emerge as a leader? Many of their name recognition members are more infamous than famous.

It’s possible the Republicans, with help from the disastrous terms of George W. Bush, the blundering campaign of John McCain, and the ridicule infested Sarah Palin are so damaged no one will even want the assignment. That will leave them scrambling to find another sacrificial lamb to serve up. It’s quite like being asked if you’d like to be a ship captain, only to realize it’s the Titanic and it’s already hit the iceberg.

The next few weeks and months are going to be quite interesting to follow the installation of the Obama administration, and watch what the Republicans do as they try to pick themselves up from their crumpled heap.

Werbung:
Other than having been found to be in violation of ethics rules and fined, but Republicans might consider that an attribute.

Try to remember that there are many dems with less stellar records. Newt is BRILLIANT!!! He is more toward the middle, which I think is needed. Why do you even ask if you are simply going to poo poo any replies?

It's a valid point about Gingrich. While I agree he's more pragmatic and a centerist, his past ethics problems wouldn't make him a leading candidate for the assignment.

While focus is being given to speculation about Barack Obama’s Cabinet post selections, there’s another issue I’m really curious about. We know who’s the new leader of the Democrats. It’s Obama, but who’s going to emerge as the leader of the Republicans?

After being crushed in two consecutive national elections, they need a leader, but who? They’ve got prominent names… Newt Gingrich, Tom DeLay, Mark Foley, Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, Larry Craig, Rudy Guilliani, Alberto Gonzales, Lindsay Graham, Ted Stevens, and a few others, but who seems even remotely likely to emerge as a leader? Many of their name recognition members are more infamous than famous.

It’s possible the Republicans, with help from the disastrous terms of George W. Bush, the blundering campaign of John McCain, and the ridicule infested Sarah Palin are so damaged no one will even want the assignment. That will leave them scrambling to find another sacrificial lamb to serve up. It’s quite like being asked if you’d like to be a ship captain, only to realize it’s the Titanic and it’s already hit the iceberg.

The next few weeks and months are going to be quite interesting to follow the installation of the Obama administration, and watch what the Republicans do as they try to pick themselves up from their crumpled heap.

The new Republican leaders will be found presently in the halls of Congress. Republicans have no need to come up with a Presidential candidate at the moment, the next thing will be to find new leadership in the House and Senate to take us into the midterms.

You will probably see some governors making some noise, but they will not suddenly become the de facto leader of the party by making noise, right now we will see Congressional leaders take center stage in my view.

I certainly hope you're right. It would be great to see a Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee or one of the members of Congress emerge as the new leadership of the Republican Party. All of 'em are damaged goods.

I certainly hope you're right. It would be great to see a Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee or one of the members of Congress emerge as the new leadership of the Republican Party. All of 'em are damaged goods.

So every member of Congress who is a Republican is now "damaged goods?" Sounds like no matter who it is you will take issue with it, so it is pointless to continue the discussion.

It seem all the new congressional leadership is leaning more to the right than the current leadership. Personnally I'd like to see them actually embrace and act on conservative principles. There seems to have been a disconnect between rightwing and conservatives principals during the Bush years. The Bush presidency has diffinately been rightwing, but, I don't see how anyone could call it conservative.

As for Newt; his pursuit of Clinton in the Monica Lewinski scandel while keeping a mistress on the side was a bit of a political blunder. How anyone as intelligent as Newt is thought his affair would remain secret is mind bogleing. Still, should the nation be denied the services of the best minds of a generation because they were caught in a sexual picadillo?

It's my personnal opinion that the politics of personnal destruction have ill served our nation. After all, we're all sinners.

I personally think what politician does sexually is their affair.

Bush's first mistake was trying to cater to the Dems. His first pick for Supreme Court was for the Dems. It didn't get him what he wanted which was remaking the social security system.

I agree about Newt's blunder with lewinski. He paid more politically for that than the sitting president did for getting blow j*bs in the whitehouse and and looking the Nation in the face and lieing. (again, I don't care what Clinton did with lewinski)

Our Nation needs a LEADER. A true leader. One with more than flashy political jargon. A leader who knows history and HAS ANSWERS for the tough questions our Nation is facing. The only person I've spoken to who has those qualifications is Newt.

Does anyone else know of a strong leader? (not obama as he isn't proven, yes, I HOPE he proves himself but for now he hasn't)

We've gone the past eight years without a leader. That didn't seem to work out to well.

Werbung:
The Bush administration was driven by a strong Republican machine, The New American Century. Their statement of principles dates June 3, 1997, and the signers of their Statement of Principles reads like a Who's Who. If you have not read it, it is very historically instructive - especially the names at the bottom.

http://www.newamericancentury.org/statementofprinciples.htm

Noticeably missing among the signers is G.W. Bush's name, although his brother co-signed it. (W. came a bit later). The other amazing thing is that this document states what they wanted to achieve, and as we saw, that they tried to do just that.

I saw on the news that some conservatives are forming a retreat to reconsider the new voice of conservatism. I forgot who and where. I would guess that they will create a declaration different from the New American Century, and it will form the new thrust of the Republican party.

Back