Bush plans on vetoing the stem cell bill.

Do you support stem cell research?

• Yes

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Brandon

While I may not agree with what Bush is doing with this bill, at least he is being consistent. He told everyone he would veto this bill. I will find it rather amusing if advocates of this bill are shocked.

What are your opinions about this subject? Don't forget to vote in the poll!

Werbung:
i've gotta say, the closer i get to people who could really benefit from this research, the less important the moral qualms the president expresses seem. i supported the bill to begin with - but the more patients i see suffering whose suffering could be cured by the products of this research, the more angry i become that Bush is preventing it from going forward.

I agree as well. This research could have the possiblity of curing lots of diseases. I just find it amusing that some proponets of the bill are in awe when Bush veto's it.

Once again I must go and stay a stupid comment like "my stem cell is smarter than Bush". I don't fully understand his reason behind the veto. This could advance science in so many ways.

Brandon said:
I just find it amusing that some proponets of the bill are in awe when Bush veto's it.
seriously. was there really any doubt about what he would do? he doesn't seem to care what the majority of americans want, as long as he's pleasing the religious right.

daria564 said:
seriously. was there really any doubt about what he would do? he doesn't seem to care what the majority of americans want, as long as he's pleasing the religious right.

The funny thing about that is that he seems to be losing the religious right. They don't like how he's not laying the hammer down on gay marriage. Its as if the republican party has assumed the role of representing WASP america.

I don't know much about stem cell research, but are there possible repurcussions that need to be considered.

I don't believe that Christians or Bush would object to it just for the fun of it.

Stem cell research is the one thing that would advance this country to a point of really being able to help the rest of the planet. Bush seems to be determined to do all the wrong things.

The real Republicans needed the religious right to build their numbers high enough to get into a good power position, but it's an artificial union, and it's starting to fray. This stem cell thing is Bush doing the equivalent of sending roses to a spouse that has said they're moving out. He's trying to hang onto that group, but it's alienating almost everyone else and is probably a pointless gesture anyway.

Doesn't anyone find it hypocritical that bush is fighting a war but advocating for the preservation of life?

sushimonster said:
Doesn't anyone find it hypocritical that bush is fighting a war but advocating for the preservation of life?
Sure, if you want to play semantics.

OneofaKind said:
I don't know much about stem cell research, but are there possible repurcussions that need to be considered.

I don't believe that Christians or Bush would object to it just for the fun of it.

The idea behind denying stemcell research is that the most known source of stem cells is from an aborted fetus. Since the majority of the christian right can't seem to remember that there's a seperation between church and state, they couldent bring themselves to support something that comes from something they cant possibly support, pro-choice.

What they DON'T know. Stem cells also come from donated ambilicle cords, many mothers know this because they're asked at some point during birthing whether or not they'd like to donate, provided they werent so drugged they wouldent remember, but the mass of america is in the dark here. Also a much more quiet source being failed, not aborted pregnencys.

So why are we banning stem cell research when there's perfectly "morally legit" sources for stem cells anyway? Beats the hell out of me, but really these guys making and passing/denying these bills are the same ones that make comments like "The internet is like a bunch of pipes. What happnes if those pipes get clogged?"

Seriously lets let the experts help us make the decisions not just let the politicians make whatever they want to out of it.

regardless of where the cells come from, they have the potential to save millions of lives. it isn't like there is going to be a farming method for fetuses in order to provide stem cells, they will come from aborted fetuses. there is no point in allowing abortion and denying the byproduct, of which a cure for many illnesses can be found.
this of corse brings up the question of abortion and the woman's right to choose... and we all know what our fearless leader wants to happen to that right.

I believe strongly in the woman's right to choose, and partially because of that I fully support stem cell research.

Bush's logic is consistent. But really retarded.

I think it would be useful to highlight just why Bush vetoed the bill. He thinks that the destruction of an embryo is tantamount to the destruction of a human being. By the 'thou shalt not kill' principle, he claims that this is just the same as murdering a person. Or having an abortion.

This is, as I said, consistent. But it rests on a certain conservative habit of creating false dilemmas by being anthropocentric (and intensely myopic). Funnily enough, the religion with which much of the 'right' align with is supposed to eliminate the egocentrism that these people inadvertantly exhibit in raising humanity onto a pedestal, and it is also this that allows them to accuse the scientists at the forefront of this research of excessive hubris by 'playing God'.

To address this, I'd question the notion of intrinsic value of human life over any other life, and to me, a deconstruction of the sentiment easily follows.

On that note, anybody familiar with the news of using extracting cells in a way that doesn't require the destruction of the embryo? Or would this go in a separate thread?

Werbung:
As far as I am aware the cells would have formed major organs, and as such I can't recall reading of any ways to extract cells without destroying the embryo. That as far as I am aware is why dead embryos are used. But as I said, I am not 100% sure of this so if anyone knows different please let me know.

Back