Bush plans on vetoing the stem cell bill.

Do you support stem cell research?

• Yes

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Yes, the news of the new method is in fact true, and very recent- if I remember correctly they take a single cell from a 8th stage zygote and reimplant it, where it apparently resumes normal development.

In Australia it sparked the debate that if this were possible, then the current stem cell research laws do not need changing. There is a weakness with this method though (that I can't recall, but it has clinical implications) apart from the speculation that removal of a single cell at this stage may, contrary to initial belief, in fact have butterfly-effect ramifications on the organism.

There are also other recent medical breakthroughs in regards to growing organs: a cell sample is taken from the organ recipient candidate, and this is then spread over a functionally tailored collagen scaffold enriched with some kind of nutrient solution. While incubated, the cells grow over the scaffold and form a fully functional organ. This also eliminates the immunoreactive implications of organ donations and since this method is apparently useable for many viscera, it may go very far to solve the problem of donor organ shortages. But this is only one arena and its success does not detract from the significance of the potential of stem cell research.

Also I'm not sure what you meant by dead embryos. Perhaps frozen?

Werbung:
I ment aborted fetuses, not dead sorry.
Thank you for letting me know about this, I hadn't heard of it yet.

Back