Media Bias

The truth, is that media outlets are really only interested in making money. IN other words Ad revenue. So they tell the people what they want to hear. Wether its left or right or in the middle. The only bias is what sells. If people didn't want to hear about how bad Bush was doing and stopped tuning in to hear about it, then they'd talk about something else.

And thats the truth. You can waddle around all day screaming liberal bias, but it only goes to show you aint got a darn clue as to how things work.

They tell you what you wanna hear.

Once again, I'll refer you to the study in my first post. It clearly shows that the media outlets studied were, on average, far more liberal than the average American. So, yeah, youre wrong.

Werbung:
Once again, I'll refer you to the study in my first post. It clearly shows that the media outlets studied were, on average, far more liberal than the average American. So, yeah, youre wrong.
In some cases radically more liberal. Remember Air America :eek:

-Castle

Ya, you obviously just don't get it.

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002724.html

Sendhil Mullainathan and Andrei Shleifer of Harvard University construct a behavioural model[11], which is built around the assumption that readers and viewers hold beliefs that they would like to see confirmed by news providers.

http://post.economics.harvard.edu/faculty/mullainathan/papers/marketfornews_102304.pdf

The study "A Measure of Media Bias" by political scientist Timothy J. Groseclose of UCLA and economist Jeffrey D. Milyo of the University of Missouri-Columbia, purport to demonstrate that America's news content has "a strong liberal bias," but defined "liberal" in terms of their reference think tanks and policy groups were. They used the Americans for Democratic Action (ADA) scores as a quantitative proxy for political leanings of the referential organizations. Thus their definition of "liberal" includes the RAND Corporation, a nonprofit research organization with strong ties to the Defense Department. They rate the National Rifle Association of America (NRA, which many would consider far right) with a score of 45.9, slightly conservative. According to Media Matters for America, “the study employed a measure of "bias" so problematic that its findings are next to useless”. (Media Matters for America - Former fellows at conservative think tanks issued flawed UCLA-led study on media's "liberal bias 21/12/05) What is "liberal" in the United States may not be "liberal" by world standards.

http://www.polisci.ucla.edu/faculty/groseclose/Media.Bias.8.htm

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Bagdikian/New_Media_Monopoly.html

Ya, you obviously just don't get it.

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002724.html

Sendhil Mullainathan and Andrei Shleifer of Harvard University construct a behavioural model[11], which is built around the assumption that readers and viewers hold beliefs that they would like to see confirmed by news providers.

http://post.economics.harvard.edu/faculty/mullainathan/papers/marketfornews_102304.pdf

The study "A Measure of Media Bias" by political scientist Timothy J. Groseclose of UCLA and economist Jeffrey D. Milyo of the University of Missouri-Columbia, purport to demonstrate that America's news content has "a strong liberal bias," but defined "liberal" in terms of their reference think tanks and policy groups were. They used the Americans for Democratic Action (ADA) scores as a quantitative proxy for political leanings of the referential organizations. Thus their definition of "liberal" includes the RAND Corporation, a nonprofit research organization with strong ties to the Defense Department. They rate the National Rifle Association of America (NRA, which many would consider far right) with a score of 45.9, slightly conservative. According to Media Matters for America, “the study employed a measure of "bias" so problematic that its findings are next to useless”. (Media Matters for America - Former fellows at conservative think tanks issued flawed UCLA-led study on media's "liberal bias 21/12/05) What is "liberal" in the United States may not be "liberal" by world standards.

http://www.polisci.ucla.edu/faculty/groseclose/Media.Bias.8.htm

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Bagdikian/New_Media_Monopoly.html

No, you obviousely don't get it. If the media outlets of this country were simply a reflection of the polulace, they would gravitate towards the middle, or at the most, slightly leaning to the left. That is not the case. The vast majority of media outlets are on the far left. Much farther left than the average American.

The Rand Corporation is simply a non-profit that promotes research and policies. The fact that they have ties to the defense industry shows absolutely nothing about their political leaning since they promote a liberal agenda amongst that industry.

The NRA is only "far right" if you choose to ignore half of the facts. The fact is that the NRA is a single issue organization. They stay neutral on every subject outside of the the 2nd ammendment. They are fairly conservative about that one issue, but as far as every single other issue is concerned, they remain politically neutral, so it would be hard to call them "far right."

Did you ever stop to consider the bias present in the source you are using?

But remember, the media is owned by major corporations that must primarily serve the interests of the government that allows them access for filler stories and station and satellite licences. Most are owned by conservatives and one is owned by a major military armament supplier. So unless the government screws something up so bad that the media source would lose all credibility not to report so, the government gets away with murder for a while.

But remember, the media is owned by major corporations that must primarily serve the interests of the government that allows them access for filler stories and station and satellite licences. Most are owned by conservatives and one is owned by a major military armament supplier. So unless the government screws something up so bad that the media source would lose all credibility not to report so, the government gets away with murder for a while.

Do you have anything to back up saying that the government is controlling the media? If it is, then why does it have such a liberal slant? Everything you say in your post goes against what I have seen to be true with the media in this country, so I hope you can back it up with something other than your opinion.

Just take a good look at that headlines on Yahoo! News sometime and the decidedly anti-government (or at least, anti-Bush) spin becomes extremely apparent. I'm no fan of Bush but I'm appalled at how the news services are sacrificing their integrity and no one around here seems to give a damn. Instead they just laugh and say, "Well, Fox News is worse."

Do you have anything to back up saying that the government is controlling the media? If it is, then why does it have such a liberal slant? Everything you say in your post goes against what I have seen to be true with the media in this country, so I hope you can back it up with something other than your opinion.

I didn't say they directly control them. They manipulate them. But before I accept your opinion, you care to show me where the media is so liberal? And please don't insult me with the debauchery and cheap entertainment that acts as a decoy as being the proof positive. Because that level of non-news is bankrolled primarily by the ones with the super bucks - namely your conservatives who love to accumulate more wealth at whatever expense to society.

I didn't say they directly control them. They manipulate them. But before I accept your opinion, you care to show me where the media is so liberal? And please don't insult me with the debauchery and cheap entertainment that acts as a decoy as being the proof positive. Because that level of non-news is bankrolled primarily by the ones with the super bucks - namely your conservatives who love to accumulate more wealth at whatever expense to society.

Did you take a look at the study I posted to start this thread? It is pretty conclusive in its findings. Really people, this would be a lot easier if everybody read through a thread before posting in it.

Did you take a look at the study I posted to start this thread? It is pretty conclusive in its findings. Really people, this would be a lot easier if everybody read through a thread before posting in it.

The Wall Street Journal is the most liberal media outlet according to their study? Selective samplings using anywhere from 1990 to 2003 as their criteria? The Drudge Report being 60% liberal? What were their real markers? Anything right of Attila the Hun being liberal? This was probably conducted by a group of UCLA professors who thought Bill Clinton was a liberal also.

The Wall Street Journal is the most liberal media outlet according to their study? Selective samplings using anywhere from 1990 to 2003 as their criteria? The Drudge Report being 60% liberal? What were their real markers? Anything right of Attila the Hun being liberal? This was probably conducted by a group of UCLA professors who thought Bill Clinton was a liberal also.

If you actually read the study you would see that it only studied information presented as news, not editorials. The only thing conservative about the Wall Street Journal is the editorial page. For the rest of the publication they almost exclusively use liberal sources for their information. If you know anything about UCLA, you should know that it is without a doubt, one of the most far left political science departments in the nation. Kind of blows your theory out of the water doesn't it?

Werbung:
If you actually read the study you would see that it only studied information presented as news, not editorials. The only thing conservative about the Wall Street Journal is the editorial page. For the rest of the publication they almost exclusively use liberal sources for their information. If you know anything about UCLA, you should know that it is without a doubt, one of the most far left political science departments in the nation. Kind of blows your theory out of the water doesn't it?

What is a liberal source? And here is someone who picks apart the methodology of Tim Groseclose's study.
http://www.theleftcoaster.com/archives/004006.php

Since most print media relies on wire services for news, I'd like to hear how AP could be considered liberal. It is not.

What I find interesting is how I abandoned watching the televised news, listening to NPR and reading newspaper reporting about ten years ago because of the obvious right wing (notice how I didn't say conservative because I do not see the neocon philosophy as the same) slant. On the rare occasion I must encounter those sources, I can only stomach them for about 15 minutes before I have to turn them off again for a lengthy period.

Maybe we have a serious problem with definitions.

Back