Media Bias

Dave

http://www.polisci.ucla.edu/faculty/groseclose/Media.Bias.8.htm

This is a study from 2005, conducted at the UCLA Political Science department. It scores media outlets on a scale from 0-100 (0 being very conservative, 100 being very liberal) based on sources cited on their news programs. Using a liberal think tank as a source moves a program closer to 100, while using a conservative think tank moves the score closer to 0. It does not rank editorial information, or opinion programs. It only focuses on what is being presented as news. The results show pretty clearly that there is a very liberal bias in our media today. I hear the left constantly complaining that Fox News is a conservative mouthpiece, and refuse to accept anything they broadcast, but by that logic, is it not fair for conservatives to not accept what 90% of other outlets say? The fact is that when you filter out editorial information, Fox News is much more centrist that just about every other news source.

The tables showing graphs of the results are at the bottom of the page, but I would suggest reading the studies definition of bias and center, as well as how they collected data before trying to debate on this issue. I realize it might take some work, but this is a very disturbing trend in America and I hope you would consider it important.

Werbung:
I think it is a well known fact that mass media is overwhelmingly leftist. Is it a problem? It is to the extent that the liberal media works so hard to muzzle the conservative voice. It ends up backfiring though as radio talk shows and cable news ratings indicate.

explains it all don't ya think! :D

Castle
fox%20slut.jpg

I contend that the truth has a left slant. Policies on the right are mainly supported by lies and deciet. When reporters reveal the truth it seems to support the left leaning veiw, and the messingers are blamed when the facts within the message support the left.

I contend that the truth has a left slant. Policies on the right are mainly supported by lies and deciet. When reporters reveal the truth it seems to support the left leaning veiw, and the messingers are blamed when the facts within the message support the left.

What!!

Neither conservatism nor liberalism are more 'true' than the other. News (and truth) is based on fact.

As if the truth of the cartoon had to be made even clearer. But thank you for doing so lol.

-Castle

What!!

Neither conservatism nor liberalism are more 'true' than the other. News (and truth) is based on fact.

Fact is open to interpretation.

After Bush was elected for the first time, Iread two books about the Florida debacle. One was from a liberal pundit, one from a conservative. They described the same events, the same out comes, and the same conversations with two different interpretations. One talked about how everything was above board, and the other one talked about all the cheating going on. Two different conclusions citing the same facts. I read several news sources, including Fox and CNN. I find the Christian Science Monitor to be the least biased either way.

hmm

Example? What I see is the right is good at saying the truth the Left won't say but the right likes to jump to conclusions hastily. The leftist media tries to always portray the image that everything if fine and dandy as well as not having a principled stance on anything but pluralism and will hide crucial facts to keep things looking fine and dandy. Both of these are only a rule and the leftist media will report things against liberals time and again as does the conservative media against conservatives. People will argue then that the left-wing media is fair because it doesn't support any ideology. Oh, but it does. Liberalism is definitely an ideology and constant public exposure to it the same as in schools is influence and power. God I hate liberals. Sometimes I'd just like to break their jaw and impale their fallen body. Take that you wisecracking atheist scum! Taste my cold steel you degenerate freak! You hot air clown!

Example? What I see is the right is good at saying the truth the Left won't say but the right likes to jump to conclusions hastily.
Both sides make it a point to say what the other doesn't want to hear. For instance...have you seen Mr. Bush's poll numbers lately?

The leftist media tries to always portray the image that everything if fine and dandy as well as not having a principled stance on anything but pluralism and will hide crucial facts to keep things looking fine and dandy.
Which is why every morning when I wake up and log on to Yahoo News I'm greeted with another "Five Dead in Baghdad Bombing" headline. Yup, that's "fine and dandy" all right.

The only "principle" of journalism ought to be pursuit and accurate depiction of the facts in as unbiased a form as possible. Please note the language - that's what it should be.

Both of these are only a rule and the leftist media will report things against liberals time and again as does the conservative media against conservatives. People will argue then that the left-wing media is fair because it doesn't support any ideology. Oh, but it does. Liberalism is definitely an ideology and constant public exposure to it the same as in schools is influence and power.
You must love Ann Coulter.

God I hate liberals. Sometimes I'd just like to break their jaw and impale their fallen body. Take that you wisecracking atheist scum! Taste my cold steel you degenerate freak! You hot air clown!

I can honestly say that no one has ever called me a "hot air clown" before. Anyway, if you hate liberals so much...why did you come to a debate forum? We tend to favor debates using points and facts over forcing the guy on the other end to "taste cold steel."

Example : Bush claims there are WMDS. Cheney claims there are WMDS.
The liberals maintain that no such weapons existed.
The facts come out that no such weapons existed.
The press reports the facts as they are.
The facts support the liberal contention.
The press gets blamed for supporting the liberal view and leaning left
Ergo; the truth has a liberal slant.
To support the neocon line one must say there were WMDs
That would be a lie.
Enter Fox news.

I could go on and on noting example, after example all day long.

Ya all miss the point. The Media outlets play to their viewers. In other words, they tell them what they want to hear. If their is a liberal 'bias' its only because there are actually more liberal minded people in this country.

The reason media outlets do that is because they want to make money. And thats what its all about. Its about money.

Werbung:
Look at Ron Paul. He had the audacity to tell the truth, that the true motivation for the 911 attacks was the fact that we have occupied Saudi Arabia and have meddled in middle east affairs for decades by bombing and putting in dictators etc. He didnt say that was an excuse but presented it as an observed fact with plausable cause and effect.
As soon as he told the truth in this matter he was immediatly accused of being too screwball left wing for the repiglicon party. Had he continued the Bush lie; that they attacked the US because we are rich and free, he would have remained a neocon in good standing.
Once again the observed and reported truth has a liberal slant.

Back