"Settled Science"??

palerider said:
The warmer surface of the earth doesn't absorb energy from the cooler atmosphere.
Do you have a reliable source for that statement, or are you just making that up, as usual.
palerider said:
That figure arbitrarily places the earth 4 times further away from the sun than it actually is but doesn't accurately compute the actual energy that would be incoming if the earth were really 4 times further away.
Where do you get that? If the earth were 4 times further away, the inverse square law would make the intensity 16 times less. Please cite a reliable source that says Trenberth's climate model "moves" the earth 4 times further.
palerider said:
It assumes a flat earth.
Don't be silly. The cartoon is just a simplified picture of total average energy flow. The picture of the earth is merely representational. Just because the picture depicts a flat earth doesn't mean the model is flat!
palerider said:
it assumes an earth that has no day or night but a continuous weak twilight that is roughly 1/4 as bright as daylight
You are wrong. Trenberth et,al. writes,

"Surface upward long-wave radiation is adjusted to account for spatial and temporal variability."

palerider said:
Nothing about it is correct. The actual incoming solar energy is more like 1364 watts per square meter at the top of the atmosphere.
That is correct only around the equator at high noon. Even then, only half of the radiation is reflected before it reaches the earth surface. There is zero sun energy on the dark side of the earth, and the energy approaches zero toward the poles because of Lambert's cosine law.

palerider said:
If one models a 3D spinning earth which has daylight on one side and night on the other and progressively less energy being absorbed by the surface as one moves towards the poles due to the increasing angle light strikes the surface and progressively more absorption from daybreak till slightly after noon at which time progressively less energy is absorbed till dark
Here you are correct. Trenberth uses this in his model. If you are trying to compute how much total average sun energy strikes earth, it is very simple. First, the sun energy over the total earth is divided by half because dark side receives no energy, second, the integral of Lambert's cosine law over the sunlit area divides the energy by half again. The total average sun energy is then 4 times less. That is where the factor of 4 comes in. From the illuminated area. Not from some fictitious moving of the earth by a factor of four. That factor is also where the value 341 W/mm comes from. In short, it is never noon everywhere at the same time!

You are getting your information from a totally screwed up source. Or perhaps you are making it all up.

You answered my first question on back radiation, but you did not answer my second question,
"...the diagram shows the earth surface is losing 493 W/mm where the radiation part is 396 W/mm as IR. Do you think that is accurate? If not what ball park figure do you think would be more accurate?"

Werbung:
The model is shit...the hypothesis is shit...people who believe it are dupes. You can't defend the indefensible.

By the way...is heat a form of energy or is heat the fingerprint of energy moving from one place to another?

Here is a model based on reality as opposed to trenberth's ad hoc construct. No fictitious greenhouse effect required.

http://principia-scientific.org/publications/The_Model_Atmosphere.pdf

Last edited:
palerider said:
The model is shit...the hypothesis is shit...people who believe it are dupes. You can't defend the indefensible.
I see you are again reduced to sputtering invectives. You usually do that when you have no good reply.
palerider said:
By the way...is heat a form of energy or is heat the fingerprint of energy moving from one place to another?
Fingerprint? That is not a term used in rigorous physics definitions.
palerider said:
Here is a model based on reality as opposed to trenberth's ad hoc construct. No fictitious greenhouse effect required.
The author sounds like an emotional blogger (but not as bad as you). For example he uses the word fiction 23 times. Here is a whacky excerpt:
"False & false = false (which is actually what I demonstrated, in proving the equations of the model GHE are nonsensical, as well the model itself being fictional... you have nonsense applied to fiction) The only thing that is true is: true & true = true............... blah blah."

The author ignores the fact that it is the surface of the earth that receives shortwave radiation. He thinks the lower atmosphere should be used for radiation calculations, not the earth surface.

He spends a lot of time talking about an experiment that should be done. But it was already done several times by kids doing what he suggested.

The author's major objection is that, "Dividing the solar flux by a factor of four and thus spreading it instantaneously over the entire surface of the Earth as an input flux amounts to the denial of the existence of day-time and night-time...."

As I mentioned before, Trenberth et.al. already addressed that objection.

Here is a question for you: Your reference largely agrees with the average value of 161 W/mm from the sun warming the earth surface. However the earth emits 396 W/mm from it's surface. How do you reconcile that such a large output emission can come from such a small input?

The scandal of fiddled global warming data

The US has actually been cooling since the Thirties, the hottest decade on record

When future generations try to understand how the world got carried away around the end of the 20th century by the panic over global warming, few things will amaze them more than the part played in stoking up the scare by the fiddling of official temperature data. There was already much evidence of this seven years ago, when I was writing my history of the scare, The Real Global Warming Disaster. But now another damning example has been uncovered by Steven Goddard’s US blog Real Science, showing how shamelessly manipulated has been one of the world’s most influential climate records, the graph of US surface temperature records published by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

I

The author sounds like an emotional blogger

And you sound like a true believer.. and a very dishonest true believer at that....You either believe in the largest hoax of modern times, or you willingly promote the largest hoax of modern times...either way, you are little more than a useful idiot.

By the way, dividing the solar flux by 4 in no way approximates day and night. It is an ad hoc construct designed to support a hoax....and no such experiment has ever been done that shows what is claimed...side show huxterism at its best.

palerider said:
And you sound like a true believer.. and a very dishonest true believer at that....You either believe in the largest hoax of modern times, or you willingly promote the largest hoax of modern times...either way, you are little more than a useful idiot.
What I believe are the applicable laws of physics. You don't understand those laws although you continue to yak about them. I am largely pressing you on your erroneous use of those laws and the ones you selectively decide not to believe. We are only barely getting into the climate physics.
palerider said:
By the way, dividing the solar flux by 4 in no way approximates day and night. It is an ad hoc construct designed to support a hoax....and no such experiment has ever been done that shows what is claimed...side show huxterism at its best.
You and the paper you cited keep focusing on that without saying just how inaccurate that you think it might be. The day-night solar input accuracy depends on the thermal relaxation time of the earth surface, and that is quite long. There is an easy way of putting an upper bound on the accuracy. We can get into that further and analyze the paper, but first we have to clear up a question that you still haven't answered,

"The earth continually emits roughly 396 W/mm from it's surface, day and night. How do you reconcile such a large output emission coming from such a small intermittent solar input that averages 161 W/mm?"

Do you accept that 396 number? I think you are afraid to even guess.

What I believe are the applicable laws of physics. You don't understand those laws although you continue to yak about them. I am largely pressing you on your erroneous use of those laws and the ones you selectively decide not to believe. We are only barely getting into the climate physics.

So lets see that measured observation of energy moving from a cooler object to a warmer one...you claim that the surface of the earth absorbs more energy from the cooler atmosphere than it does from the sun...it should be no problem to provide a measured observation of it happening.

From the paper I provided:

Figure 6: “Outside the System” view of the radiative interaction. Earth is in fact, on average, cooler than the solar radiative input temperature. With this single physical reality, the need to postulate a radiative greenhouse effect evaporates.

Last edited:
palerider said:
So lets see that measured observation of energy moving from a cooler object to a warmer one...you claim that the surface of the earth absorbs more energy from the cooler atmosphere than it does from the sun...it should be no problem to provide a measured observation of it happening.
I already gave you an example of exactly that. That question was answered in post #299 and two later posts. Apparently you didn't understand it, or realize the significance. I will reword it to make it simpler for you.

Suppose we do a simple experiment. You have an insulated box with a large hot pipe wrench inside at 200 degrees F. The box is then filled with pure cold nitrogen gas at 0 degrees F. The box is then sealed. Everyone knows the thermal energy of the hot solid will be transferred to the cold gas. The kinetic motion of the atoms of the cold gas must strike the hot solid. If you think the atoms of the cold gas can never hit the hot solid then you have no way of explaining how the gas gets hotter.

The conclusion is that the kinetic energy of atoms of a cold gas must strike the hot solid. That is an example of a two way energy transfer between a colder object and a warmer one.
palerider said:
From the paper I provided:

Figure 6: “Outside the System” view of the radiative interaction. Earth is in fact, on average, cooler than the solar radiative input temperature. With this single physical reality, the need to postulate a radiative greenhouse effect evaporates.
The author is using totally erroneous physics. On page 35 he replaces the idea of energy flux with a black body "radiative temperature", and then starts arithmetic with temperature(!) in the third paragraph.

That is totally wrong wrong wrong ! The energy flux and temperature are related by the fourth power of temperature. That is not equivalent to doing arithmetic with energy flux. Energy has a conservation of energy law. Temperature does not.

Here is an analogy that anyone should understand. Suppose you are selling loose fertilizer at $1 per cubic foot. A customer comes in and fills a cubical box 3 feet on a side, and then insists he owes you $3 because it is a 3 foot box. Would you fall for that smoke and mirrors? Apparently you did with the paper you cited. He would really owe you 3 cubed = $27. With temperature it is even worse since it is the fourth power law. The customer is confusing weight of fertilizer with a linear dimension in feet. This analogy about a box of shit is also a metaphor on the author's concept.

In the third paragraph on page 35 he tacitly acknowledges the above problem and says, "But we cannot and do not treat this [solar radiative temperature] as a physically real average ..." The irony is that he does just that.

That leaves a curious question. He assumes 1370 W/mm solar input and a reflective albedo loss half that. And he understands that half the earth is in the shade and another quarter diminished by the cosine law. So he is assuming that 1/4 of the earth surface gets 644 W/mm at any instant in it's rotation. Let's accept his approximation.

Let's follow his example and divide the earth into four equal area sections as in his Fig. 6. The 1/4 of the earth at the zenith absorbs 644 W/mm and radiates 396 W/mm. At the 1/4 periphery on the sunny side the solar flux absorption becomes zero (according to the authors approximation) while that same area radiates 396 W/mm. On the dark side at the bottom left quartile, the solar flux is zero while that area radiates 396. Same on the dark quartile at the right: 396.

If you add up all the radiative energy, you have 644 W/mm short wave solar input and 396 x 4 = 1584 W/mm earth long wave output. The author ignores that obvious and huge discrepancy.

If you divide both sides of the flux by 4 you get the average solar input flux over the entire earth is 161W/mm while at the same instant the entire earth is radiating 396 W/mm. That is the same as Trenberth, so the author doesn’t assume anything different than Trenberth. Rather than a flux in Watts per meter squared, the author's units are basically Watts per 4 meters squared for both, input and output flux.

In Fig. 7 the author addresses the legitimate idea of an uneven temperature from day to night.

Let's calculate what that might be. If you use the standard average of temperature of the earth, 14.5 deg C, the SB equation says you radiate 373 W/mm. That is a simple computation which is only 5.8% lower than 396 in the diagram.

However the maximum difference of temperature from a daytime high to a nighttime low at latitude 45 deg is about 10 degrees C. Let's ignore the fact that the temperature is a smooth transition and do a worse case check and assume a worse case of 14.5 + 5 deg C all day to 14.5 - 5 all night extreme, and then average the two resulting fluxes The result is 374 W/mm. So the worst case is that the author's suggestion increases the average earth flux from 373 to 374. That is a 1 W/mm difference or a very small 0.026% correction that Trenberth already did.

Try to remember that the above analysis has nothing to do with greenhouse gases. It uses measurements of the solar flux input, and compares that to the earth radiation flux output from the SB equation.

How do you and the author reconcile the fact that the earth is radiating over two and a half times what it is absorbing from the sun? Hint: look at Trenberth's diagram.

I already gave you an example of exactly that. That question was answered in post #299 and two later posts. Apparently you didn't understand it, or realize the significance. I will reword it to make it simpler for you.

Post 299? Your last post was #263..does that mean I have to endure 36 more posts before you offer up the evidence you claim exists?

we do a simple experiment. You have an insulated box with a large hot pipe wrench inside at 200 degrees F. The box is then filled with pure cold nitrogen gas at 0 degrees F. The box is then sealed. Everyone knows the thermal energy of the hot solid will be transferred to the cold gas. The kinetic motion of the atoms of the cold gas must strike the hot solid. If you think the atoms of the cold gas can never hit the hot solid then you have no way of explaining how the gas gets hotter.

Suppose you just provide the observed measured example of energy moving from a cooler object to a warmer object.

The conclusion is that the kinetic energy of atoms of a cold gas must strike the hot solid. That is an example of a two way energy transfer between a colder object and a warmer one.

The conclusion is that you can't provide any observed, measured example of energy moving from a cool object to a warm object. If it were actually happening, you wouldn't be limited to mind experiments....you warmer wackos would have it posted all over everywhere.

Ill be looking for that observed measured example of energy moving from a cool object to a warm object....till you can either provide it, or admit that no such example exists, the conversation is on hold. Of course an admission that no such example exists, sort of paints you into a corner.

palerider said:
Post 299? Your last post was #263..does that mean I have to endure 36 more posts before you offer up the evidence you claim exists?

:) You do have a sense of humor! That is the first time I've seen it. My bad. It's post 223. 40 posts ago; and repeated a few after that.

palerider said:
Suppose you just provide the observed measured example of energy moving from a cooler object to a warmer object.

I provided it. It's an example that anyone can do. Simply observe and measure the temperature of the gas as it gets hotter. If you don't believe it you will have to supply us with an alternate reason that a hot solid can warm up the cold gas. I bet you can't.

palerider said:
The conclusion is that you can't provide any observed, measured example of energy moving from a cool object to a warm object. If it were actually happening, you wouldn't be limited to mind experiments....you warmer wackos would have it posted all over everywhere.

The example can be observed and measured. Why would any "warmer whacko" want to post such a trivial well known phenomenon all over the web? You are the only one who says he doesn't believe in atoms because you can't directly see them. Everyone else does. Get out of the dark ages.

palerider said:
Ill be looking for that observed measured example of energy moving from a cool object to a warm object....till you can either provide it, or admit that no such example exists, the conversation is on hold. Of course an admission that no such example exists, sort of paints you into a corner.

I have answered your juvenile question. You are using your feigned disbelief in atomic physics to get out of answering my simple question which has nothing to do with cold energy impinging on a hotter substance:

How do you reconcile the fact that the earth is radiating over two and a half times more radiation than what it is absorbing from the sun?

That question does not assume anything about global warming, so you have no excuse to balk.

Build a box out of thin metal. Insulate the box on the outside. Heat everything inside of the box to 500 degrees. Suck out the air from the box and reintroduce air at 0 degrees. Seal the box. As the metal heats the air, the sides of box will expand from the increased pressure. The box cannot expand unless the colder atoms actually hit the sides of the hotter box with kinetic energy.

That is example of the kinetic energy of atoms moving from a colder air and striking a hotter box. Note that the heat is flowing from the hotter box to the colder air as they approach the same temperature.

If you include a thermometer and pressure gauge, that is an observed measured example of energy moving form a cooler object to a warmer object.

Palerider, you loose.

Now how about answering my question:

How do you reconcile the fact that the earth surface is emitting over two and a half times more radiant energy than it is absorbing from the sun?

If you can't answer that then just go away.

I noticed NOAA set hottest year on record back to 1936 from the 199? tgey had changed it too in their CO2 mania stage. This seems to follow the trend of walking back sexed up data.

Still waiting for that observed measured example of energy moving from a cool object to a warmer object...If, as you claim, the surface of the earth absorbs more than twice as much energy from the cooler atmosphere than it does from the sun, the observed measured examples should be legion...lets see some....or an admission from you that none exist.

Werbung:
Still waiting for that observed measured example of energy moving from a cool object to a warmer object...If, as you claim, the surface of the earth absorbs more than twice as much energy from the cooler atmosphere than it does from the sun, the observed measured examples should be legion...lets see some....or an admission from you that none exist.
I gave you the example. I will post it again:

Build a box out of thin metal. Insulate the box on the outside. Heat everything inside of the box to 500 degrees. Suck out the air from the box and reintroduce air at 0 degrees. Seal the box. As the metal of the box heats the inside air, the sides of box will bow out from the increased pressure. The box cannot expand unless the colder atoms actually hit the sides of the hotter box with kinetic energy.

If you include pressure gauge and thermometers to measure the temperature of the box and air, that is an observed measured example of energy moving form a cooler object to a warmer object.

Back