sex ed in schools..should abstinence be taught

As far as Sex Ed or any other class goes, it should be up to the parents in the District. I don't think there should be a one size fits all approach.

I've noticed over the last 30 years that attendance at School Board meetings and PTA meetings has dropped substantially, at least where I live. People I know complain about the unbelievable PC garbage they see in their children's textbooks but can't be bothered to attend a meeting and express thier concern. No wonder their concerns aren't addressed. The few who do attend and try to make things better end up becoming frustrated and either send their kids to private school or to a much lesser extent home-school them. That's a shame because those are the people who are vital to positive change in the way public schools work. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame them, I understand why they do that and their kids do have to come first, but it leads to a vicious cycle where fewer and fewer parents participate in decision making in the district. My district at least, I can't speak for them all.

When I went to high school, in order to receive a diploma you were required to take and pass the following:
Physics, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Chemistry, Biology, Government and Ethics, Art, English Lit., Phys Ed., along with the normal elective courses; Analytical Geometry and Calculus were not required but were highly recommended. I didn't go to a prestigious school, I went to a normal public high school.

Now at my local school you don't have to take Phys Ed or Art, you only have to pass Physics or Biology or Chemistry, not all three. Algebra is required, most kids do take Geometry, almost none take Trig. Government and Ethics is required but the course is so horribly PC now it is in effect meaningless. The local high school is a National Exemplary High School and the kids graduating cannot fill out a job application nor perform simple mathematical operations. They can tell you why the anti-Christ is likely to be Republican, they can tell you why gay marraige is a good thing, they can put on a condom with one hand, and they can text like muthas.

Sorry for the long rant but this a topic that gets me everytime. Our public school system should be a huge national asset and a world leader but it's not and that's a shame.

Werbung:
As far as Sex Ed or any other class goes, it should be up to the parents in the District. I don't think there should be a one size fits all approach.

I absolutely agree ... everything should be left up to the parents, the district, and the sate. The federal government, which like you mentioned, tends to be more interested in children understanding "social justice" and the government version of history than our children learning reading, math and science.

In my opinion, and of course there are exceptions, public education is a failure for A to Z!

The few who do attend and try to make things better end up becoming frustrated and either send their kids to private school or to a much lesser extent home-school them.

I believe that home school, when applied correctly, is a much better option. Certainly not a lesser one!

Plan B does not belong in high schools nor does Depo Provera

Some students as young as 14 have access to the Plan B morning-after pill and other forms of contraception, including the injectible Depo Provera, under New York City’s new CATCH plan.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/09/24/dr-manny-plan-b-does-not-belong-in-schools/

Taking the morning after pill isn't without risk. Either are abortions. Kids can't play dodge ball for fear of injury, but this is okay?

Taking the morning after pill isn't without risk. Either are abortions. Kids can't play dodge ball for fear of injury, but this is okay?
Telling kids they can't play dodgeball is absurd.

Allowing a young girl to have the morning after pill in order to prevent an unintended pregnancy is good insurance. Kids will have sex. They may not plan to, but it happens. When the possible outcomes of what they have done hit home the next day, it is much better that they can do something about it rather than have an abortion or a baby that they can't take care of.

It is not a perfect world.

Allowing a young girl to have the morning after pill in order to prevent an unintended pregnancy is good insurance. Kids will have sex. They may not plan to, but it happens. When the possible outcomes of what they have done hit home the next day, it is much better that they can do something about it rather than have an abortion or a baby that they can't take care of.

Then we should score our kids the best quality heroin and crank money can buy. Kids will do drugs. The risk of over dose or getting some bad crap if they get it on their own is not worth taking. Kids are going to do drugs right? We cant stop them so we should at least get them the cleanest stuff around and provide them with a safe place to do it.

Its not a perfect world.

Then we should score our kids the best quality heroin and crank money can buy. Kids will do drugs. The risk of over dose or getting some bad crap if they get it on their own is not worth taking. Kids are going to do drugs right? We cant stop them so we should at least get them the cleanest stuff around and provide them with a safe place to do it.

Its not a perfect world.
Apples and oranges.

If the issue were procuring prostitutes for teens, then your analogy would be apt.

no its not a perfect world nor is it the school's job to involuntarily medicate students (they are minors and cannot consent). the school cannot give a tylenol here without a parent's signature (here at least) so I cannot see how its OK to issue plan b's.

Apples and oranges.

If the issue were procuring prostitutes for teens, then your analogy would be apt.
I disagree
you seem to be saying when it comes to drugs we can trust them not to but when it comes to sex they are more like dogs in heat and have no self control.

I think they have as much control over having sex as they do taking drugs and with sex they may get pregnant with bad drugs they may die.

I disagree
you seem to be saying when it comes to drugs we can trust them not to but when it comes to sex they are more like dogs in heat and have no self control.

I think they have as much control over having sex as they do taking drugs and with sex they may get pregnant with bad drugs they may die.
No one is talking about procuring sex for teens.

A more apt analogy would be providing rehab for kids who get hooked.

No one is talking about procuring sex for teens.

A more apt analogy would be providing rehab for kids who get hooked.
I am talking more about the attitude of the "grown ups". We have a zero tolerence to drugs and drinking, kids will be expelled if they do this sort of stuff on school grounds but if they want sex we throw condoms their way or abortions or the morning after pill and say we cant stop them from having sex so we better provide them with "the tools"

You said in an earlier post that they were going to have sex as though they are dogs in heat without self control. Why do you figure they can control drinking and drugs when you dont think they can control if they are going to have sex or not?

Do you have any kids?

Werbung:
It's interesting seeing how things have flipped around in some parts of the country. When I took Sex. Ed. in school, a long time ago, the district assumed that students didn't have parental permission until the permission slips were signed and returned to the office. Now in New York they assume that you do have permission to take a drug unless a form is returned to the school stating that permission is revoked and the school doesn't have to notify the parents that the drug was dispensed. What else are they giving the kids in that district?

I hope that story was poorly reported because if that's true, that's unbelievable.

Back