Should cloning be allowed?

Werbung:
If people can "consider" it human then I suppose it's morally wrong.

however, if technology allows us to replace a limb, as we are just a glob of proteins, I suppose it doesn't sound so bad.

could you justify why cloning would be considered immoral?

what if I was not religious, and saving the human life was much more

important to me than the religious aspect of it?

No, only I get to play God.

If you guys start cloning each other you will mess it all up.... think my job is so easy don't you?

I think that if we get to the point where we can grow specific organs without having to duplicate the entire human body than it'll be perfectly fine. Until then, creating an entire human clone for body harvesting is barbaric and wrong.

NPR did an interesting piece on cloning and, right now, cloning appears to be the new frontier in ethics. There is little doubt that cloning will continue to be studied and improved upon, banning it will accomplish nothing but to drive it underground and anyway, I am reluctant to ban scientific endeavors. Science is neither moral nor immoral, it is ammoral. It's job is to find answers to questions. To explore. It is what we choose to do with it that adds or subtracts morality.

Perhaps I read to much science fiction but I can't help but feel a sense of dread if cloning ever became economicly feasible and if cloning of humans ever occurred.

I am reminded of Martin Luther King's quote:

"We have genuflected before the god of science only to find that it has given us the atomic bomb, producing fears and anxieties that science can never mitigate.”

The possible "pluses" to cloning are:

Potential medical treatments
Potential to have cloned tissues that can be used in lieu of animals in medical experiments
"Improved" livestock and livestock carrying traits they would never have in nature

The possible "negatives" that I see are:
Continued loss of genetic diversity
Unintended consequences we are unable to forsee - for example adding a trait to pigs for more "benificial" fat - what are the long term consequences of this? Or what if traits get into a wild population?
Severe ethical problems in creating animals to better fit say factory farm conditions
Ethical problems in "creating people" or....creating "back up" people for treatements later on....or .....on an on

The entire article is here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7555718

Werbung:
Although cloning is a potentially life saving opportunity for some people, I don't think we should be messing with it too much.

If we clone an arm, a leg, etc. maybe I can live with that. But a brain, anything that comes out concious, no way. These things are real humans, and we don't have the right. It is closing a huge door on the brain, even the building blocks of life, but its just not right.

Any time we mess with genetics we seem to do a lot of good, but now the hidden harms of it are coming out like cancer. Cancer is going to be a huge problem in the future I think, a real threat to humanity.

Back