The Race Police

Affirmative Action is a socio-economic balancing tool. There's every possibility that, due to Affirmative Action, I didn't get into one or more of the three schools who rejected my applications three years ago. Does it piss me off a little that a black student may have gotten in with lower grades? A little. But then I realize that that that black student probably attended a sub-par public school because he was unable to afford private school (or even locate one that would take him) and that, due to the quality of his education, he did a little worse than me. It all balances out - if he'd had a higher quality high school education, like the one I got in my pearly-white high school in the middle of suburban Massachusetts, he'd probably have outscored me on the SATs.

I sure hope you can see how obvious this is after I say it:

Assuming that the poor education of the black is due to discrimination does it make any sense to then discriminate against the white student to balance things out when instead we could just fix the ailing educational system in the first place so the black student gets a decent HS education?

Werbung:

Assuming that the poor education of the black is due to discrimination does it make any sense to then discriminate against the white student to balance things out when instead we could just fix the ailing educational system in the first place so the black student gets a decent HS education?

Well and good, but don't duck the main issue that it is INSANITY to penalize white people who have had absolutely nothing to do with the problems of blacks.

I would love to. Plenty of attempts have been made and there's been a some progress in some quarters; however, in many cases there just isn't enough funding. Affirmative Action is cheaper. That doesn't for a second mean I like it more, but that's one of the reasons it exists.

You make perfect sense.

I remember your giant list of communist conspiraters. Your irrational fear is quite hilarious.

No, I think Wilson was more or less a fascist and I have (in another thread) applauded those of his successors who dismantled the machinery he put in place.

That said, I take issue with your statement in two ways:

(1) My "fear" of communists in government would be irrational if it actually existed. But it doesn't, because to the best of my knowledge, there are none left.

(2) My contempt for communists who were in government (and there were hundreds; this is an empirical fact that no volume of sneering on your part can conceal), the idiots who abetted them, and the head-in-the-sand historical foot soldiers who deny that they ever existed, does not amount to fear.

I would love to. Plenty of attempts have been made and there's been a some progress in some quarters; however, in many cases there just isn't enough funding. Affirmative Action is cheaper. That doesn't for a second mean I like it more, but that's one of the reasons it exists.

"Affirmative action" is racist, irrational, counterproductive, unconstitutional, and unjust. It isn't a solution to anything. And the reason it exists has only to do with democrat party politics, nothing else.

My contempt for communists who were in government (and there were hundreds; this is an empirical fact that no volume of sneering on your part can conceal), the idiots who abetted them, and the head-in-the-sand historical foot soldiers who deny that they ever existed, does not amount to fear.

You are surprised that libs imagine away facts??? That's MOSTLY what they do! :D

I suspect that creating an injustice (affirmative action) will cost us more in the long run through hidden costs than finding an appropriate solution.

I seriously don't think any of our politicians have made an good faith efforts to fix the problems in education. They are much too busy politicizing the issues, cow-towing to the unions, and just throwing money at an issue that has been explored with the wrong motives.

And why should we expect politicians to fix the problem. They are after all politicians and not educators.

The solution belongs to the the administrators. Failing schools need to find ways to cooperate with successful schools to learn what works. Failing schools need to have their hands untied by getting Washington out of the system. And a certain percent of the teachers need to be promoted to positions of managers so that they will no longer be union members.

But, most important of all the parents in poor schools need to get involved and value education so they can pass this value on to their kids who right now don't care about learning.

There is an old joke: how many shrinks does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: One but the light bulb has to want to change. That is how it is in failing schools. The kids have to want to learn. All the money in the world won't make a difference if the kids don't value education.

1692: WITCH!

1938: JEW!

1954: COMMUNIST!

2008: RACIST!

The Race Police are part of the Pee See regime infecting this country. When you criticize a black person, you hear the "racist" screech. When you take a position other than the liberal left on any issue touching on race, you are almost sure to hear it. It is heavily ironic that when you criticize "affirmative action", which, when you remove the euphemism, is simply anti-white racial discrimination, you hear it again.

Like the epithets of the past listed above, the "racist" screech is designed to intimidate, to smear, and to silence. It is the last refuge of race hustlers and race card players when logic fails them.

Why do people in this country put up with the Race Police? Why aren't they condemned for what they are?

I'm with you, Bro. And I don't put up with the PC sh*t, especially at work. I'm more than sure to make people feel uncomfortable whenever I can, especially when they say garbage like, "african american".

I say, "You mean me? I'm african american. Scientists have proved that all humans came from one man and one woman in africa. So there you have it."

they get pissed.

And then I make sure to let them know I'm a native american...because I was born in America. don't give me this bullshat that only injuns are native americans...those a-holes came here just like everyone else did. they weren't NATIVE to this plot of land we call America.

Turn it back on people when they give it to you, Libsmasher. It makes you feel good and it makes them feel stupid. Best of both worlds!

And then I make sure to let them know I'm a native american...because I was born in America. don't give me this bullshat that only injuns are native americans...those a-holes came here just like everyone else did. they weren't NATIVE to this plot of land we call America.

"Native american" is one of the silliest PCisms. As if everyone else immigrated here? :) I would think that indians would object to the phrase themselves - their ancestors came here 10,000 years before there was any geopolitical construct called "America". The word "indian" of course comes from a geographical misconception by Columbus. I have asked american indians if there is any word native to their language that refers to all indians - they've said "no".

"Native american" is one of the silliest PCisms. As if everyone else immigrated here? :) I would think that indians would object to the phrase themselves - their ancestors came here 10,000 years before there was any geopolitical construct called "America". The word "indian" of course comes from a geographical misconception by Columbus. I have asked american indians if there is any word native to their language that refers to all indians - they've said "no".
Native American is much more accurate than American Indian. An Indian as you know is someone from India. I am not sure how many natives you have talked to, but peaking for myself, my tribal leadership, and thousands of other natives in dozens of states, most would prefer native as it is more accurate. Eskimo is still in common use in Alaska, but in Canada, they are generally reffered to as Inuit.
Unless you have a more accurate term, native is the most sensible.

As for Natives having a word for natives, what you describe is not entirely correct. For instance in most cases, the name of the tribe as known to Europeans is the native word in that language for "people". For instance I am Athabaskan, but Athabaskan translates loosely to people, as does Inupiaq and several others, but Athabaskan is in the same language family as many lower 48 and Canadian Natives. Reaching down to the SW US. Same base language, but different dialect. The closest other native groups were the Yupiks, Inupiaq and Aleuts. The interactions were generally peaceful, as they only had some crossover in foraging grounds. The main sources of protien were different, except salmon, which has been plentiful enough to sustain the more interior Athabaskans.
The name Yupik and Aleut mean "people" or in Yupik I believe it is "our people"
Living mostly in Yupik country nowadays, I have come to learn quite a bit, the Yupik have a word "gussaugguq" which loosely means "not Yupik people". Since the Christian missionaries showed up heavily after the flu outbreaks of 1917-18, that word has been twisted to be somewhat deragotory, but it is not its exact translation or intention.

Native American is much more accurate than American Indian. An Indian as you know is someone from India.

"native amercan", as a term of definition, ie, to identify apart from others, is not accurate - many non-american indians are native to the US - everybody immigrated here at different times - INCLUDING american indians.

As for Natives having a word for natives, what you describe is not entirely correct. For instance in most cases, the name of the tribe as known to Europeans is the native word in that language for "people". For instance I am Athabaskan, but Athabaskan translates loosely to people, as does Inupiaq and several others, but Athabaskan is in the same language family as many lower 48 and Canadian Natives. Reaching down to the SW US. Same base language, but different dialect. The closest other native groups were the Yupiks, Inupiaq and Aleuts. The interactions were generally peaceful, as they only had some crossover in foraging grounds. The main sources of protien were different, except salmon, which has been plentiful enough to sustain the more interior Athabaskans.
The name Yupik and Aleut mean "people" or in Yupik I believe it is "our people"
Living mostly in Yupik country nowadays, I have come to learn quite a bit, the Yupik have a word "gussaugguq" which loosely means "not Yupik people". Since the Christian missionaries showed up heavily after the flu outbreaks of 1917-18, that word has been twisted to be somewhat deragotory, but it is not its exact translation or intention.

The native words that mean "people" don't refer to american indians as a whole. If american indians invent a word that isn't a logical contradiction that refers to american indians as a whole, I would use it.

"native amercan", as a term of definition, ie, to identify apart from others, is not accurate - many non-american indians are native to the US - everybody immigrated here at different times - INCLUDING american indians.
OK, trying to remember Freshman College English from quite a few years ago now, so bear with me. But the term you would be looking for is
"American Native", which is someone born in America of any race. Whereas someone who is Native American, doesnt need to necessarily be born in America, but is still a Native American. Its confusing and has been blown somewhat out of proportion. The most correct term would probably be aboriginal, but that is largely associated with the people in Australia before Euros showed up.

The native words that mean "people" don't refer to american indians as a whole. If american indians invent a word that isn't a logical contradiction that refers to american indians as a whole, I would use it.
Somwhow I am sceptical that you would change your terminology regardless of anything.

Werbung:
OK, trying to remember Freshman College English from quite a few years ago now, so bear with me. But the term you would be looking for is
"American Native", which is someone born in America of any race.

Sounds good. :)

Whereas someone who is Native American, doesnt need to necessarily be born in America, but is still a Native American.

A "Native American" doesn't need to be born in America??? :D Uhhhhh ...... you're getting more incoherent the longer you talk. :)

Its confusing and has been blown somewhat out of proportion. The most correct term would probably be aboriginal, but that is largely associated with the people in Australia before Euros showed up.

Aboriginal, meaning the earliest known inhabitants of a place, or those descended from them, is correct. "Native American" is a Pee See political term invented and used within the liberal racial spoils system.

Somwhow I am sceptical that you would change your terminology regardless of anything.

Somehow I am skeptical that you would use it either, preferring the politically beneficial liberal semantic gymnastics.

Back