Fred Thompson will run, advisers say

KingBall

Fred Dalton Thompson is planning to enter the presidential race over the Fourth of July holiday, announcing that week that he has already raised several million dollars and is being backed by insiders from the past three Republican administrations, Thompson advisers told The Politico.

Thompson, the "Law and Order" star and former U.S. senator from Tennessee, has been publicly coy, even as people close to him have been furiously preparing for a late entry into the wide-open contest. But the advisers said Thompson dropped all pretenses on Tuesday afternoon during a conference call with more than 100 potential donors, each of whom was urged to raise about $50,000.

Thompson's formal announcement is planned for Nashville. Organizers say the red pickup truck that was a hallmark of Thompson's first Senate race will begin showing up in Iowa and New Hampshire as an emblem of what they consider his folksy, populist appeal.

A testing-the-waters committee is to be formed June 4 so Thompson can start raising money, and staffers will go on the payroll in early June, the organizers said. A policy team has been formed, but remains under wraps.

The supporters on Tuesday's call make up a group the campaign is calling "First Day Founders." When launched, the campaign will have offices in Nashville and Northern Virginia, the advisers say.

Campaign officials said they have every indication Thompson will declare his candidacy, but cautioned that he could still decide not to run or to postpone the announcement. Mark Corallo, the campaign spokesman, said: "He is seriously considering getting in and doing everything he has to do to come to a final decision."

A member of Thompson's inner circle, who insisted on anonymity, said the former senator will offer himself as a consistent conservative who can unite all elements of the Republican Party. "The public is increasingly cynical and disenchanted with government," this adviser said. "Competence is at the heart of what people want from government, and they need to have a sense that government can do the things they care the most about. They want a reason to continue Republican governance. Thompson can be seen as the adult with a firm hand on the tiller."

Thompson urged the supporters to muster a major show of financial force in early July, just after the June 30 deadline for second-quarter financial reports to the Federal Election Commission.

Thompson's top rivals — Rudolph Giuliani, John McCain and Mitt Romney — will have a formidable advantage for the current quarter, so he plans to show his muscle right after that.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0507/4243.html

Werbung:
Still

smells like Reagan to me! Anyway, I'm sure it's quite good to have politicians who know how to act, maybe he can pretend to care about stuff!

smells like Reagan to me! Anyway, I'm sure it's quite good to have politicians who know how to act, maybe he can pretend to care about stuff!

He must have not been to good in Politics to go into Acting, but Political
Gangsters do make good Actors, and Now he's back into Politics?
Oh Boy...I agree with Kwaku.

And the excitement building over Thompson joining the race for President shows just how sad the state of affairs is in this country. What has the man done to warrant such excitement? He's an actor! He was a Senator! Who cares! What are his views on the issues and how will he try to bridge the divide in this country?

I'll let Reuters speak to this:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Fred Thompson, a Hollywood actor turned White House contender, had a reputation while a U.S. senator of being frustrated with the slow-moving legislative process and preferring dining with friends to late-night congressional sessions.

Maybe he can get Cheney to run things in the background!

Whats the general feeling in America? Does this man stand to even gain a small portion of the vote as a well respected politician, or is this just a publicity stunt.

I have faith the American public wont do a nationwide Shwarznegger.

Whats the general feeling in America? Does this man stand to even gain a small portion of the vote as a well respected politician, or is this just a publicity stunt.

I have faith the American public wont do a nationwide Shwarznegger.

I think maybe you should look at Thompson's qualifications as compared to the competition.

Werbung:
I know its not much but I have to say I like him better than the other choices, Guiliani (democrat at heart), McCain (lost his mind years ago), Mitt Romney (Just a gut feeling but seems very shady), Ron Paul (to little to late), I mean in my opinion they are all equally worthless and the democrat choices are even worse, but it is all we have.
Geez I just depressed myself.

Back