God rest ye merry hypocrites

I do believe the there was a court ruling some years ago that stated that Christmas was not a religious holiday but had evolved into a folk festival;

Then why can manger scenes not be displayed on public property or Silent Night be sung at public school assemblies without a court fight?

Nevertheless, I would like to know how Santa Claus fits into Christmas as a Christan symbol.

Did you miss the part about St. Nicholas? Linguistically, Santa Claus comes from Sinter Klas(sp?) which is Dutch for St. Nicholas.

Werbung:
Then why can manger scenes not be displayed on public property or Silent Night be sung at public school assemblies without a court fight?

Did you miss the part about St. Nicholas? Linguistically, Santa Claus comes from Sinter Klas(sp?) which is Dutch for St. Nicholas.

Saint Nick is a Johnny come lately. Santa was based on Odin. See my post above.

Saint Nick is a Johnny come lately. Santa was based on Odin.

And St. Nicholas. But isn't Odin a god of some sort? So how can Santa Claus be allowed on public property if an equally religious manger or cross can not?

In the UK we aren't really allowed to call it Christmas any more least we offend our brethern from the sandy wastes! Apparently we cause offence by giving cards and wishing them merry christmas and stuff........ does that make them Pagans!!??

I've lost the will to live...............

Excellent thread ..........

You really cant call it christmas?

I dont personally celebrate it, I consider it a pagan holiday but I think anyone who wants to celebrate it should be able to do so in peace.

Really, you cant call it christmas or are you pulling our legs?

I personally think its funny that christmas is a federal holiday that all government workers get off paid. Heck I get christmas eve off paid too, but they dont want me to say merry christmas at work :) I do it anyway just to make a point.

And St. Nicholas. But isn't Odin a god of some sort? So how can Santa Claus be allowed on public property if an equally religious manger or cross can not?

Because Odin is a pagan god. Since the US is a pagan country, as seen by the pagan symbolism of Christmas and Easter, Odin, Thor, and even Loki are allowed, just not Christian symbols and rituals. Jewish ones are somewhat suspect as well, of course, and anything relating to Allah is strictly forbidden.

Because Odin is a pagan god. Since the US is a pagan country, as seen by the pagan symbolism of Christmas and Easter, Odin, Thor, and even Loki are allowed, just not Christian symbols and rituals. Jewish ones are somewhat suspect as well, of course, and anything relating to Allah is strictly forbidden.

Thus the leftist hypocrisy I am complaining about. Liberals don’t mind religion in public or religion in government one bit- as long at the religion in question is not Christianity.

Thus the leftist hypocrisy I am complaining about. Liberals don’t mind religion in public or religion in government one bit- as long at the religion in question is not Christianity.

Do the terms irony and sarcasm mean anything to you at all? How about satire? Parody?

Do the terms irony and sarcasm mean anything to you at all? How about satire? Parody?

Not when you have illustrated my point. Christmas symbols that liberals are willing to tolerate in public displays when they believe the symbols are secular have religious significance in addition to their significance for Christianity. Even if trees and wreaths and holly berries don’t have Christian meaning, they still have religious meaning. Liberals are willing to tolerate religious symbols in public as long as they have convinced themselves that the symbols are void of Christian meaning. That makes liberals into hypocrites.

Yay for Pagans!

All it takes is some base logic , not even to know the history of the origins of Chrsitmas, to know Jesus was not born Dec 25....nor was it even 2009 years ago....one easy one is, they say they saw the star to follow while in the feilds with there sheep or what have you of course, Dec 25 would be a pretty cold night to be out that late at night with them in the feilds....hence why most suggest it was Summer or Spring when this would actually have made any sense....The rest is all of course Pagan, for the solstast...just as Easter is as well ( eggs are Fertility...and rebirth of spring, not Jesus)
Even the Fact that in America Santa wears red and white....is from a Coke add back in the day ( also why Dimonds are Engament rings....they where not before some ads back years ago be Debeers.) Red and White are cokes Colors, thus why he wore them...in other nations he has other colors...

whats sad is how little some Christians know about what they act like are the most holy days of the year....

Yay for Pagans!

All it takes is some base logic , not even to know the history of the origins of Chrsitmas, to know Jesus was not born Dec 25....

Who here said He was? We celebrate Independence Day on July 4 when we declared independence on July 2, so what's your point? The date on which Christians celebrate the birth of Christ does not negate the religious significance of that celebration.

Who here said He was? We celebrate Independence Day on July 4 when we declared independence on July 2, so what's your point? The date on which Christians celebrate the birth of Christ does not negate the religious significance of that celebration.

Correct, and the winter solstice is actually December 21, not the 25th.

Mithra, the sun god of the Romans birthday was dec 25th
Tammuz, the sun god of the babylonians birthday was dec 25th too. He was the son of Ishtar, the goddess of fertility, love, war, and sex In the Babylonian pantheon. Her feast day is the first sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. IE: Easter. On her feast day you brought eggs, rabbits and other signs of fertility, you roasted a pig (because it was a pig who killed her son Tammuz) and you made hot crossed buns. No connection to the Bunz who posts here)

according to scripture Jesus started his ministry at about age 30, he died 3 1/2 years later in the spring at Passover..

It stands to reason he would have been born in the fall.

Mithra, the sun god of the Romans birthday was dec 25th
Tammuz, the sun god of the babylonians birthday was dec 25th too. He was the son of Ishtar, the goddess of fertility, love, war, and sex In the Babylonian pantheon. Her feast day is the first sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. IE: Easter. On her feast day you brought eggs, rabbits and other signs of fertility, you roasted a pig (because it was a pig who killed her son Tammuz) and you made hot crossed buns. No connection to the Bunz who posts here)

according to scripture Jesus started his ministry at about age 30, he died 3 1/2 years later in the spring at Passover..

It stands to reason he would have been born in the fall.

Good info, pan. Have a very merry Mithra day tomorrow.:)

Good info, pan. Have a very merry Mithra day tomorrow.:)

Well I dont celebrate the day personally but

happy christmas or yule or mithra and tammuz birthday to everyone.

The Russian Orthodox are the smartest of all because they celebrate Christmas on January 7th, the Russian Orthodox Church celebrates its Christmas, in accordance with the old Julian calendar. And they get their presents for half price on the day after christmas sale :)

Werbung:
Correct, and the winter solstice is actually December 21, not the 25th.

Both solstices and both equinoxes vary from year to year due to the vagaries of the solar calendar. But my point remains. If liberals consent to public acknowledgement of the winter solstice but then object to similar acknowledgment for Christian observances, they are hypocrites.

Back