God rest ye merry hypocrites

Mithra, the sun god of the Romans birthday was dec 25th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithra

Mithra is Persian in origin, not Roman. It is part of the Zororasrian pantheon and likely is not a sun god of any kind since Zororasrianism has a separate solar god.

Also, if Mithra’s birthday was December 25, why is the 16 day of the 7th month in the Zorastrian calendar dedicated to him?

And as far as I know Mithra didn’t make much of an appearance in the Roman Empire until after Christianity was already on the scene.

according to scripture Jesus started his ministry at about age 30, he died 3 1/2 years later in the spring at Passover..

Scripture says nothing to clearly indicate how long Christ's public ministry lasted. There is some speculation that it was only 1 year.

Werbung:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithra

Mithra is Persian in origin, not Roman. It is part of the Zororasrian pantheon and likely is not a sun god of any kind since Zororasrianism has a separate solar god.

Also, if Mithra’s birthday was December 25, why is the 16 day of the 7th month in the Zorastrian calendar dedicated to him?

And as far as I know Mithra didn’t make much of an appearance in the Roman Empire until after Christianity was already on the scene.

Scripture says nothing to clearly indicate how long Christ's public ministry lasted. There is some speculation that it was only 1 year.

Mithra could easily have been long before the romans, ill look at your link, I am not saying he wasnt something to others too.
I dont know why there are other days dedicated to him, I can just tell you its considered his birthday.

Constantine the Great was a mithra worshiper, when converting to christianity he brought many things mithra with him including mithras birthday and the concept of sunday worship over friday sunset to saturday sunset Sabbath.

The thing I wrote about Jesus is not in any one passage of the bible. There are places it talks about him being about 30 when he started his ministry, other passages that say aprox how long he did it and the well known passages about his death.

Its more putting 1 + 1 + 1 together than saying for any matter of fact concusion.

No one knows when he was born, just when he died.

Interesting.

What I find ironic is many of these non-believers believe in man caused global warming. They willingly believe a hoax, but not the word of God. And in addition, they attack, denounce, and revile Christians. They do not do this to Muslims because they are afraid of them.

Libs, Jesus loves even you.

and allah wants you dead.

In the UK we aren't really allowed to call it Christmas any more least we offend our brethern from the sandy wastes! Apparently we cause offence by giving cards and wishing them merry christmas and stuff........ does that make them Pagans!!??

I've lost the will to live...............

Excellent thread ..........

This has been going on for a long time... even before the sandy wastes people.:D

I remember taking kids caroling way back in the day and having Jehovah's Witnesses come to their door and tell us to stop singing. I guess Jehovah's Witnesses aren't big on any celebration.

Bottom line I say Merry Christmas to all my friends because that's my personal choice as an individual. But I also see good reason why businesses and such would go with a more generic holiday greeting. It's not a tragedy.

I bet the Jehovah's Witnesses hate this house though.:D

Mithra could easily have been long before the romans, ill look at your link, I am not saying he wasnt something to others too.

I didn't say that Mithra wasn't around before the Romans; I said the very opposite when I pointed out that he had Persian rather than Roman origins. What I said is that Mithra wasn't commonly worshipped in the Roman Empire until after Christianity was already around.

I dont know why there are other days dedicated to him, I can just tell you its considered his birthday.

But yet you provide no documentation for your claim about December 25 being his birthday.

Constantine the Great was a mithra worshiper, when converting to christianity he brought many things mithra with him including mithras birthday and the concept of sunday worship over friday sunset to saturday sunset Sabbath.

Your documentation for this is what?

The thing I wrote about Jesus is not in any one passage of the bible. There are places it talks about him being about 30 when he started his ministry,

other passages that say aprox how long he did it

Care to cite chapter and verse?

No one knows when he was born, just when he died.

Have I mentioned Ernest L. Martin in this thread already? He used archaeological evidence along with 1st century AD documentary evidence and computer astronomical simulations to determine what the Star of Bethlehem was and to calculate the date of Christ’s birth. I don’t remember all of the details, but I do remember that Martin placed Christ’s birth in the early fall and then the Wise Men from the East arrived around Hanukah which happened to coincide with December 25 the year of the visit.

http://www.askelm.com/books/book003.htm

I didn't say that Mithra wasn't around before the Romans; I said the very opposite when I pointed out that he had Persian rather than Roman origins. What I said is that Mithra wasn't commonly worshipped in the Roman Empire until after Christianity was already around.

But yet you provide no documentation for your claim about December 25 being his birthday.

Your documentation for this is what?

Care to cite chapter and verse?

Have I mentioned Ernest L. Martin in this thread already? He used archaeological evidence along with 1st century AD documentary evidence and computer astronomical simulations to determine what the Star of Bethlehem was and to calculate the date of Christ’s birth. I don’t remember all of the details, but I do remember that Martin placed Christ’s birth in the early fall and then the Wise Men from the East arrived around Hanukah which happened to coincide with December 25 the year of the visit.

http://www.askelm.com/books/book003.htm

Look up mithra and what is considered his birthday, its not hard to do, everything I said you can look up.

I think I saw something one year about the archaeological evidence of his birth, it was very interesting but some would say its not proof, I personally do not think it matters what day he was born. I think the faith hangs on his ressurection rather than his birth. I will check out your website, it looks interesting. I agree with them about him being born early fall. My guess is september.

I will look up the vs for you later but right now I have to pretend to be santa.

Look up mithra and what is considered his birthday, its not hard to do, everything I said you can look up.

Why should I have to do the research to verify your claims? Also, there is no mention of a December 25 birthday for Mithra in the Wikipedia article. Why is that?

Mithra: The Pagan Christ

Mithra or Mitra is even worshipped as Itu (Mitra-Mitu-Itu) in every house of the Hindus in India. Itu (derivative of Mitu or Mitra) is considered as the Vegetation-deity. This Mithra or Mitra (Sun-God) is believed to be a Mediator between God and man, between the Sky and the Earth. It is said that Mithra or [the] Sun took birth in the Cave on December 25th. It is also the belief of the Christian world that Mithra or the Sun-God was born of [a] Virgin. He travelled far and wide. He has twelve satellites, which are taken as the Sun's disciples.... [The Sun's] great festivals are observed in the Winter Solstice and the Vernal Equinox--Christmas and Easter. His symbol is the Lamb....

http://www.truthbeknown.com/mithra.htm

Considering that many-many forms of faith/religion were around thousands of years before Christianity...as with Mirtha 3,500 years before Johnny Come Latey JC...it might behoove you to do some serious research into what brought about the 'controlling change over to Christianity'...but then again Ignorance seems to be the prevailing trend in this topic as well as the political forum too ;)

Why should I have to do the research to verify your claims? Also, there is no mention of a December 25 birthday for Mithra in the Wikipedia article. Why is that?

Will encyclopedia.com be a good enough link for you?

The Winter Solstice
Magazine article from: Freethought Today; 12/1/2008; Walker, Barbara G; 700+ words ...pa-pa" or "pope." Mithra was born of the usual virgin on December 25th, the "Birthday of the Unconquered Sun...of the Mother of God. Mithra's birth was witnessed...magicians" or "seers." Mithra performed miracles of healing...

December 25th is also considered the birthday of the Hindu god, Krishna, as well as Mithra, the Greek god of light.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/searchresults.aspx?q=mithra+birthday+december+25th

There are hundreds of places on line where you can read about it. There are many books in your local library that talks about it.

Do you also disagree that Tammuz birthday was dec 25th and that his mothers feast day is what you call Easter?

Considering that many-many forms of faith/religion were around thousands of years before Christianity...as with Mirtha 3,500 years before Johnny Come Latey JC...it might behoove you to do some serious research into what brought about the 'controlling change over to Christianity'...but then again Ignorance seems to be the prevailing trend in this topic as well as the political forum too ;)

When have I said that any of these non-Christian religions were not around before Christianity? All I have said is that Christianity was already around before Mithra became popular in the Roman Empire.

Will encyclopedia.com be a good enough link for you?

Only if what is says can be verified by other reliable sources. My bachelor's degree in biology came with 40 credit hours in history so I know that the net is not the most reliable source of information regarding history. And I am well read on matters of Christian history up to the time of Constantine. I already knew about Mithra's popularity in the Roman Empire during the early Christian Era, but nothing I have read so far other that what you can find on the net has mentioned a December 25 birthday for Mithra.

The Winter Solstice
Magazine article from: Freethought Today;

Sounds more like a source for New Age mumbo-jumbo than it does serious historical research.

Only if what is says can be verified by other reliable sources. My bachelor's degree in biology came with 40 credit hours in history so I know that the net is not the most reliable source of information regarding history. And I am well read on matters of Christian history up to the time of Constantine. I already knew about Mithra's popularity in the Roman Empire during the early Christian Era, but nothing I have read so far other that what you can find on the net has mentioned a December 25 birthday for Mithra.

Sounds more like a source for New Age mumbo-jumbo than it does serious historical research.

You never replied about Tammuz, do you also disagree that his birthday is celebrated on dec 25th or that his mothers feast day is what we call easter?

I have friends who are strong christians and things like this make them so angry. They want to think december 25th was just any other day till Jesus was born and all the traditions they celebrate are all started with Jesus.

Its yours and their right to think so, I will defend it

Werbung:
You never replied about Tammuz, do you also disagree that his birthday is celebrated on dec 25th or that his mothers feast day is what we call easter?

What does it matter? It is only when holidays are given Christian significance that you libs decide to object.

Back