Obama to mandate new, higher gas mileage standards (aka trading blood for oil)

Um, of course Obama is making a bad decision. He usually
does.

Small cars are unsafe and people don't like buying them.
They don't make em tough like they used to either.
You mean....not as tough as European-vehicles?????

:rolleyes:

"Nader’s also ticked that the NHTSA’s proposal would bar accident victims from suing automakers if their vehicle’s roof collapses in a crash. He notes that many automakers - Volvo, Saab and Subaru, for example - build cars that exceed the “anemic” roof-strength standards the feds are proposing. If those companies can do it, he says, the feds should require all of them to do it.http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/05/ralph-nader-pro/"​

Werbung:
its just going to cost more period. And only the uber stupid will think they are going to save just because obama said so.
Yeah......CHANGE is soooooooooooooooooooooooo risky.

:rolleyes:

"James Lentz, president of U.S. sales for Toyota, said that eventually consumers would take fuel efficiency for granted the way they now expect cars to have air bags or stabilizers or anti-lock brakes, innovations once considered expensivehttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy.../05/19/AR2009051901683.html?hpid=sec-business.

:p

So much twisting, spinning, and diversion from the Left, who want to control what we buy regardless of consequences. Why do they keep ignoring plain facts?

Is President Obama making a good decision, requiring smaller, lighter cars to save oil, and accepting the increase in injuries and deaths that those smaller, lighter cars will produce?

------------------------------

http://www.cnn.com/2007/AUTOS/04/18/auto_death_rates/index.html

Crash death rates show progress in auto safety

SUVs, in particular, now much safer with addition of stability control.

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com staff writer
POSTED: 9:54 a.m. EDT, April 20, 2007

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- New statistics released Thursday by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety show that, overall, driving has gotten much safer in the last 11 years.

During the years 2002 to 2005, there were 79 driver deaths per million registered 2001-2004 model year vehicles, according to the Institute. By contrast, during the years 1990 to 1994, there were 110 deaths per million 1989 to 1993 model year vehicles on the road then. That represents a 30 percent reduction in the overall death rate.

Most of that difference can be attributed to safer vehicle designs and to the addition of Electronic Stability Control on more vehicles, especially SUVs, according to the Institute.

The vehicles with the lowest death rates were the General Motors' Chevrolet Astro van, the Infiniti G35 sedan, the BMW 7-series sedan and the Audi A4/S4 Quattro. The Astro, a full-sized van, had a death rate of 7 per million. The Audi A4/S4 had 14 deaths per million registered cars.

The vehicles with the highest fatality rates were 2-door, 2-wheel-drive versions of the Chevrolet Blazer small SUV, the Acura RSX small car, the Nissan 350Z sports car, the Kia Spectra compact car, the Pontiac Sunfire compact car and the Kia Rio subcompact car. Death rates for those cars ranged from 232 per million for the Blazer to 175 for the Rio.

Death rates are computed based on data from the Federal Government's Fatality Analysis Reporting System and vehicle registration data from The Polk Company.

Overall, midsize and large luxury cars have the lowest death rates, according to the Institute, while small 4-door cars have the highest death rates. Of the 15 vehicles with the lowest death rates, none were small cars.

Um, of course Obama is making a bad decision. He usually
does.

Small cars are unsafe and people don't like buying them.
They don't make em tough like they used to either.

The new plastics and imitation metal don't fare well in accidents.
You can actually total new cars in relatively minor collisions.

The smart car is a good example of one dumb death trap, that
only a liberal could design.

It will hurt the car companies that are forced to sell these
death traps. But they have no choice now.

With CHANGE! there is no longer choice.

The new motto should be "Let's get rid of CHANGE! and offer CHOICE!

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYONE HATES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Porsche's

Jaguar's

Ferrari's

Audi's

Volkswagon's

HOW COULD ANYONE LIKE A SMALL CAR!!!!:rolleyes:

Please try and not be so one sided to the point of ridiculousness.

James Lentz, president of U.S. sales for Toyota, said that eventually consumers would take fuel efficiency for granted the way they now expect cars to have air bags or stabilizers or anti-lock brakes, innovations once considered expensive.

I wish I could get a car WITHOUT all of that, especially after ABS almost killed me. Being one of the dwindling few who KNOW HOW TO DRIVE, I would willingly pay extra to get a new car WITHOUT all that crap.

I wish I could get a car WITHOUT all of that, especially after ABS almost killed me. Being one of the dwindling few who KNOW HOW TO DRIVE, I would willingly pay extra to get a new car WITHOUT all that crap.

Yeah but they don't make one off cars because every single one of those safety features do save lives.

Yeah but they don't make one off cars because every single one of those safety features do save lives.

If "abs" almost killed someone...I think its becuse they dont know how to drive lol. any person I have ever talked to who had a issue with ABS had no idea what the point or how it worked even...they used them wrong and blamed the system for the fact they dont know how to dive for *****

If "abs" almost killed someone...I think its becuse they dont know how to drive lol. any person I have ever talked to who had a issue with ABS had no idea what the point or how it worked even...they used them wrong and blamed the system for the fact they dont know how to dive for *****

We had an ABS system lockup all four tires on the highway at highway speed. Yes, ABS can get you killed. I should note that the Police departments, almost universally have ABS either turned way down, or disabled completely.

We had an ABS system lockup all four tires on the highway at highway speed. Yes, ABS can get you killed. I should note that the Police departments, almost universally have ABS either turned way down, or disabled completely.

so your ABS Failed...thats not the same. Your breaks could go out sometime, does that mean they should sell cars with no breaks?

Well that's really the thing isn't it? ABS is different than non-ABS. Probably ought to lock 'em up sometime in an empty parking lot so you know the feeling if you don't understand how they work.

It's like seat belts. And although I'm not a fan of adults being ticketed for not wearing one I'd never say they aren't a great safety feature.

But some do... I mean one person gets thrown from a car that ends up catching on fire and that person raves about how lucky he was he didn't have his seatbelt on.

Of course the other 500,000 people that year that didn't die in a car crash because they had their seatbelt on... not talking about that!:D

you forgot those poor selling Civics lol

My bad! Civics too...

The whole argument is ridiculous. They can build cars of all sizes that get better mileage. Sometimes it just takes a little pressure to get the ball rolling. That pressure can be from a lot of places... customer demand, cool new technology, gas prices, government mandates, environmental concerns... on & on.

I think back to when I was a kid. I remember we had an old big finned red Olds Rocket 88 land yacht. Probably got like 12mpg highway. And back then nobody... NOBODY... would have dared to imagine cars ever being able to get 25-35-45mpg. But they sure do don't they.

And this whole scary small car thing... like small cars are just now coming out.:D PLEASE LET ME BE SCARED IN A 911 PORSCHE!

Werbung:

Driving in 4" of snow at about 15-20MPH: STANDING on the pedal with all my weight & both feet, the brakes cycled merrily all the way down the hill and about 20' past the STOP sign at the bottom. The vehicle DID NOT STOP until it was on nearly level ground. The same hill with my F-350 (no ABS), I had it stopped (on the steep part of the hill) 10' short of the stop sign. The only vehicle I have driven where the ABS does not endanger me in my new Dodge Magnum.

Back