10 Reasons Gay Marriage is Unamerican and Wrong

r0beph

1. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

Werbung:
Excellent post.

My first reaction, on reading the title: :rolleyes:

My next reaction, on reading the first couple of lines: ROFL

My final reaction: You nailed it.

Excellent OP. Quite amusing and telling, effectively showing the hypocrisy of the entire argument against what really is a civil rights issue in my eyes.

LOL

I came into this thread with my hackles raised and teeth bared. I didn't really read the OP, but I was surprised that PLC1 and Bunz were in agreement, so I read it. :D

Nice job!

LOL

I came into this thread with my hackles raised and teeth bared. I didn't really read the OP, but I was surprised that PLC1 and Bunz were in agreement, so I read it. :D

Nice job!

I'll never understand why people don't read the OPs... of course, I'm sure thats why a lot of threads get jacked into talking about hockey instead of whatever was the initial rail of the thread...

But yeah, I found this to display a favorable, but undeniable, irony in reference to gay marriage ideals in this country.

I'll never understand why people don't read the OPs

Well, I thought I knew all I needed to know based on the thread title. I knew reading it would just piss me off more. :p

Shows ya what I know.

Does no one wish to argue this? where are all those who support the anti homosexual rhetoric to defend these truths!

Sorry to disappoint...But I'm all for SSM too so you won't get an argument against it from me either. :cool:

Love that post...I love seeing it everywhere I go. :D

To be honest, not many people I know care about gay marriage. It doesn't affect me one way or the other. Leave it up to the states.

To be honest, not many people I know care about gay marriage. It doesn't affect me one way or the other. Leave it up to the states.

I'm against gay marriage, but I agree that it's a state's rights issue, not something for the feds to decide. See the 10th amendment for more details...

I'll bite on some of these, though, for the sake of discussion:

1. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning. Last time I checked eyeglasses, polyester and air conditioning improved people's quality of life. Being gay doesn't help me see better, make me look good, or cool me down in the summer.

2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall. Being tall is not a behavior that can be changed. Being gay is a behavior that can be changed. I know two people (one good friend and an aquaintence) who have gone from straight to gay just because it's easier to get sex. And they didn't get taller...

3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract. A dog, perhaps not. But why not polygamy? Why are they less important than gays? And why not let someone marry themself? They might love themself so much, and they shouldn't be denied the all the rights of married people. That would be discrimination...shame shame.

4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal. All of those things were changed by society. If society wants to make gay marriage legal, so be it. But last I checked 13 states have banned it. So good luck...

5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed. Doesn't make straight marriage any less meaningful. Just makes gay marriage a sham.

6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children. Irrelevant. You don't get married for the sole purpose of making children.

7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children. But those children would be more susceptable to being gay being that they're exposed to that BEHAVIOR all day long.

8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America. That's right - most religions are against it. And while we don't live in a theocracy, many of our laws are based on the Judeo-Christian principles of the Bible. Sorry.

9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children. Children CAN succeed in a single family home, but studies show that having a male AND female role model at home significantly improves a child's chances of success in life.

10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans. Again, you're comparing non-behaviors to a behavior. Doesn't work.

I'm against gay marriage, but I agree that it's a state's rights issue, not something for the feds to decide. See the 10th amendment for more details...

I'll bite on some of these, though, for the sake of discussion:

1. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning. Last time I checked eyeglasses, polyester and air conditioning improved people's quality of life. Being gay doesn't help me see better, make me look good, or cool me down in the summer.

You're doing it wrong. It looks good on me. :D

2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall. Being tall is not a behavior that can be changed. Being gay is a behavior that can be changed. I know two people (one good friend and an aquaintence) who have gone from straight to gay just because it's easier to get sex. And they didn't get taller...

Yeah, that's happens a lot in prison, I hear. ;)

3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract. A dog, perhaps not. But why not polygamy? Why are they less important than gays? And why not let someone marry themself? They might love themself so much, and they shouldn't be denied the all the rights of married people. That would be discrimination...shame shame.

Indeed. Why not polygamy? But that is a topic for another thread.

4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal. All of those things were changed by society. If society wants to make gay marriage legal, so be it. But last I checked 13 states have banned it. So good luck...

Thank you. I have no doubt it will happen in my lifetime. That is, if we don't convert to full facism within the next few years.

5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed. Doesn't make straight marriage any less meaningful. Just makes gay marriage a sham.

I've been married to my partner for almost 5 years now. You tell me which marriage was more meaningful WRT showing commitment. Britney's or mine.

6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children. Irrelevant. You don't get married for the sole purpose of making children.

So obviously that is a retarded argument to use against gay marriage, no?

7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children. But those children would be more susceptable to being gay being that they're exposed to that BEHAVIOR all day long.

Of course, because I always have gay buttsex in front of my children :rolleyes: I got news for ya. Gay people live normal lives, visit neighbors, have normal parties, watch television, grow old and get fat like everyone else. But don't spread that around too much. We've got reputations to uphold.

8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America. That's right - most religions are against it. And while we don't live in a theocracy, many of our laws are based on the Judeo-Christian principles of the Bible. Sorry.

You need to study law a little more.

9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children. Children CAN succeed in a single family home, but studies show that having a male AND female role model at home significantly improves a child's chances of success in life.

TWO parents are better than one. Period.

0. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans. Again, you're comparing non-behaviors to a behavior. Doesn't work.

And, you're assuming that driving a car, working in a coffee shop, and playing golf when you're 70 aren't behaviors.

Already, we are on the slippery slope toward the end of traditional marriage. Ever since Loving v. Virginia, the country has been going downhill. First, we accepted exogynous marriages. Now, homosexual marriages. Next, we'll see polygamous marriages, polyamorous marriages, interspecial marriages, and autoerotic marriages, all because of a court case forty years ago.

Disclaimer and warning: Those who are sarcasmically challenged are advised to discuss this post with someone who is not before replying.

Being truthful about one's sexual orientation and being allowed to fully express that truth improves quality of life.

Homosexuality is both a pattern of behavior and an orientation. Behavior can be changed, you're right; orientation cannot.

Is Sexual Orientation a Choice? No, human beings cannot choose to be either gay or straight. For most people, sexual orientation emerges in early adolescence without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed.

http://www.apahelpcenter.org/articles/pdf.php?id=31

Why not polygamy? How does that hurt you? What does that even have to do with you, period?

Why not let a person marry him- or herself? The rights of married people (most of them, anyway, from what I remember) have to do with shared rights - visitation at hospitals, division of estate upon death, etc. What adverse consequences of letting a person marry himself are there?

Societies change, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. We'll see.

Care to explain this, in context?

It might not be the sole purpose, but can you think of any other reason the government has any business licensing and regulating interpersonal relationships than the creation of family units, which are proven to reduce instances of criminal behavior in children?

I realize you're just responding to the point in green, but both that point and yours kind of make me think, "so what?"

More than just our laws; the norms and values of our society, from a macrosociological point of view, are based firmly on Judeo-Christian traditions (basically, all those prevailing "moral" attitudes that classify us as "the West"). However, it's important to note that the laws and our norms and values are all malleable; in this way, religious values may go in one direction and societal values may go in another, and laws are necessarily contingent upon societal values in this our secular world.

In terms of general family models, two parents are better than one - both theoretically and in practice. Studies have shown that children raised in dual-parent households engage in criminal or otherwise sociopathic behavior less often than children raised in single-parent households.

That's not to say anything bad about single parents - most of the single parents I've known personally have been extremely dedicated to their children - but it is also an undeniable fact.

10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans. Again, you're comparing non-behaviors to a behavior. Doesn't work.

How about acknowledgement that blacks are human beings and not inherently less intelligent than whites? All kinds of behavior have become more acceptable as a result of that sort of thing - interracial relationships, black workers being higher in the corporate pecking order than white workers, etc. That latter one still isn't common, maybe, but it's possible today, whereas the very suggestion of it one hundred fifty years ago would have been laughed at.

Look at how the Industrial Revolution altered the "foundation of society" - America went from being a collection of mostly gemeinschaft miniature socieities to groups of larger gesellschaft societies, which is what introduced the idea of social activism over personal or demagogic rebellion - the formation of special-interest groups like unions, temperance leagues, religious subsidiary groups, business assocations, all those little groups of like-minded people that are part of the great society of America but identify with each other on grounds that outsiders that are still Americans can't relate to.

Werbung:
Back