Glenn back news...or advertising?

I'm sure that's right. I just thought it was ironically funny to hear an ad claiming that their product will stop global warming being advertised on the program of the chief denier of global warming.

When or if reporters endorse advertising the problem would arise when they have a conflict of interest and subvert or change what is suppose to be objective news to please their advertisers.

When Rush a non-reporter has ads that are completely contrary to his views then it demonstrates that he is not subverting his opinion that he never claims is objective anyway.

Werbung:
Did you know George Soros is saying the same things? ...So such sentiments are not specific to the "right wing".

yes, I suppose you're right. It does make a good selling point, and good selling points don't go to waste regardless of ideological bent.

You and I both know our government is printing money it doesn't have to fund programs and wars we can't afford. The result is inflation. The only mechanism for curbing inflation, is hiking interest rates but hiking interest rates slows the economy, which leads to less revenue and a need to print even more money. The Fed is in a precarious situation given the weak economy and the massive amount of deficit spending that has taken place, so the "everythings going to be just fine" attitude ignores the dangers we find ourselves facing.

I'd be the last one to say that everything is fine. yes, no doubt there is some inflation in our future, as the government has been spending more than it takes in for quite some time now. As for the price of gold, inflaton is going to bring it up, no doubt. However, let's consider the actual cost vs. the dollar as of today: The US went off of the gold standard, when? Wasn't it around 1960, give or take? Since that time the dollar is worth perhaps 1/10 to 1/12 as much as it was then, but the price of gold has gone from $35 per ounce to whatever it is now, somewhere near $1,200 or so isn't it? The difference between that figure and 12 x $35 is due to supply and demand. Part of that increase in demand is due to advertising. Therefore, the price is likely to go back down some when the advertising campaign is over. It will never go back to $35 per ounce of course, but it will probably go down.

We were printing money then too, if you remember. As a result, the Fed under the Carter administration hiked interest rates to record highs, which halted inflation but crashed the economy.

Could be. The main engine driving inflation at that time was the price of oil, which went up about ten fold due to OPEC, and the main engine driving interest rates was inflation. The economic malaise of the late '70s was mostly due to petroleum prices.

That's peanuts compared to the way our government manipulates the markets... Only government doesn't make money when manipulating the markets, it only hemorages money from the taxpayers wallet and crashes the economy.

could be, but the government isn't manipulating the price of precious metals. Public perception of what the government is doing is part of the speculation, which is being exploited and expanded by advertising.

That's how we ended up with Obama... He was packaged and sold to the public, now buyers remorse is setting in for many of his supporters.

Yes, that's how we ended up with Obama, how we ended up with Bush, Clinton, Bush I, and so on back to the invention of TV, that and party loyalty.

Surely, you're not going to tell us that the voters actually vote for the best candidate regardless of party loyalty and TV ads, are you?

Since Beck is not a reporter and we have been told here that he says all the time he is not a reporter then you should have no problem with that. I have only seen beck two or three times and the last time I specifically heard him say that he was not a reporter - just a dad.

So which reporters support commercial products in their programs? It has been a while since I thought about it but the last I remember the tv news channels had all commercials during non news programming. All newspapers on the other hand include ads.

Fine you win, he is nothing be a celeb with a talk show...Beck now holds the same weight on a issue if you say tom Cruise said......that's what we should view him as...Since you don't wish to have him have any integrity as a journalist in any way shape or form....then that's what he is , a mindless entertainer who will say anything for ratings and does not need to be factual, and if he feels like lieing to his listeners to make a extra buck well that's fine as well....its not like he will be held to any standards..

I guess it must be the fact I took Journalism and Politics and all those ethics issues about Journalism that we talked about, and the Journalist talked about ...that I thought maybe you guys may actually hold someone to some...even a small amount...on not making your "news" a sales pitch for a product your paid to sell...I guess I though maybe that was not asking to much..

Set bar low.. and you guys still say, we can go lower....

I can think of very few times I've listened to Rush Limbaugh and not thought he sounded like a ranting buffoon.
It escapes me why you Rush haters spend so much time bashing the man... Nothing he says or does will affect your life in any way.

Yes, I believe that the source is the POTUS himself
Bash him for a change... unlike Rush, Obama has the power to raise your taxes, destroy your freedom, and he's not afraid to use it.

It escapes me why you Rush haters spend so much time bashing the man... Nothing he says or does will affect your life in any way.

Rush has more power than you think. people take him seriously. Gullible people, to be sure, but a lot of people do, and some of them vote.

You intellectuals are sooooo much more enlightened than us small government, low taxes, freedom loving conservatives:

looks over at Always, Asur, the former Gipper, and such...Yep we are...Thanks for noticing...See funny thing is, some people actually value knowing things, and education...odd how red states that seems less of a issue...

Bash him for a change... unlike Rush, Obama has the power to raise your taxes, destroy your freedom, and he's not afraid to use it.

Help Help Obama is trying to Destroy my Freedom to be denied Health Care! help!

Fine you win, he is nothing be a celeb with a talk show...Beck now holds the same weight on a issue if you say tom Cruise said......that's what we should view him as...Since you don't wish to have him have any integrity as a journalist in any way shape or form....then that's what he is , a mindless entertainer who will say anything for ratings and does not need to be factual, and if he feels like lieing to his listeners to make a extra buck well that's fine as well....its not like he will be held to any standards..

You are right that beck holds no more weight than Cruise. For both speakers one needs to apply basic rules of logic and consider what they say and not who says it.

I guess it must be the fact I took Journalism and Politics and all those ethics issues about Journalism that we talked about, and the Journalist talked about ...that I thought maybe you guys may actually hold someone to some...even a small amount...on not making your "news" a sales pitch for a product your paid to sell...I guess I though maybe that was not asking to much..

Set bar low.. and you guys still say, we can go lower....

I don't know what you are trying to say. I think I have been clear that I would like journalist to have high standards.

He is destroying freedoms and you are not denied health care. Every single American in the US has access health care without exception.

You do realize that just because you keep saying the world is flat we all do know that it's round.:rolleyes:

This is why I have such a distaste sometimes for Conservatives. You know well it is 100% documented (I've posted the independent studies at least a half dozen times) that tens of thousands of AMERICANS die every single year due to not having healthcare coverage.

And the pure Fraud & Trickery that you try and use saying people can go to an emergency room if they are sick enough is just disgusting.

You really... seriously... think we will believe for one second that a single mother with 2 kids making say 19K per year (just over the $18310 poverty line) that isn't eligible for a state welfare medical card and doesn't have insurance at work has adaquate healthcare because if her or her kids get sick enough they can go to a $600 per hour emergency room and then have her wages garnished because she obviously can't pay the bill?

You seriously believe anyone in here is that dumb? WOW!:eek:

45,000 American deaths associated with lack of insurance
September 18, 2009
By Madison Park
CNN

Story Highlights: Study calculated that the uninsured have a 40 percent higher risk of death

(CNN) -- A freelance cameraman's appendix ruptured and by the time he was admitted to surgery, it was too late. A self-employed mother of two is found dead in bed from undiagnosed heart disease. A 26-year-old aspiring fashion designer collapsed in her bathroom after feeling unusually fatigued for days.

Paul Hannum's family members say he probably would've gone to the hospital earlier if he had had health insurance.

What all three of these people have in common is that they experienced symptoms, but didn't seek care because they were uninsured and they worried about the hospital expense, according to their families. All three died.

Research released this week in the American Journal of Public Health estimates that 45,000 deaths per year in the United States are associated with the lack of health insurance. If a person is uninsured, "it means you're at mortal risk," said one of the authors, Dr. David Himmelstein, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School.

The researchers examined government health surveys from more than 9,000 people aged 17 to 64, taken from 1986-1994, and then followed up through 2000. They determined that the uninsured have a 40 percent higher risk of death than those with private health insurance as a result of being unable to obtain necessary medical care. The researchers then extrapolated the results to census data from 2005 and calculated there were 44,789 deaths associated with lack of health insurance.

For years, Paul Hannum didn't have health insurance while he worked as a freelance cameraman in southern California.

One Sunday, Hannum complained of a stomachache which alarmed his pregnant fiancée, Sarah Percy. "He wasn't a complainer," she said. "He's the type of guy who, if he got a cold, he'll power through it. I never had known him to complain about anything."

Hannum thought he had a stomach flu or food poisoning from bad chicken. On Monday, his brother saw him looking ashen and urged him to go to the hospital. "He had a little girl on the way," his older brother Curtis Hannum said. "He didn't want the added burden of an ER visit to hang on their finances. He thought 'I'll just wait,' and he got worse and worse."

By the time Hannum got to the hospital and was admitted to surgery, it was too late.

Paul Hannum, 45, died on Thursday, August 3, 2006, from a ruptured appendix. His daughter, Cameron was born two months later.

Other studies have indicated that the uninsured are at greater risk of mortality than the insured. A 2007 study from The American Cancer Society found that uninsured cancer patients are 1.6 times more likely to die within five years of their diagnosis than those with private insurance. In 2002, the Institute of Medicine estimated that lack of health insurance caused about 18,000 deaths every year.

The latest findings come amid the fierce debate over health care reform in the U.S.

Two authors of the Harvard study, Himmelstein and Dr. Steffie Woolhandler are co-founders of the Physicians for a National Health Program, which supports government-backed "single-payer" health coverage.

The National Center for Policy Analysis, which backs "free-market" health care reform, calls the Harvard research flawed.

"The findings in this research are based on faulty methodology and the death risk is significantly overstated," said John C. Goodman, the president of the NCPA in a statement. But Goodman did note there is "a genuine crisis of the uninsured in this country."

The lead author of the Harvard study, Dr. Andrew Wilper said he's confident in his and his colleagues' estimates. "It's consistent with the vast body of literature that has found reasonably similar findings," said Wilper, instructor in internal medicine at the University of Washington. "There's broad agreement in the health literature regarding this point."

Wilper said there is often fear from those, including his own grandmother, who don't feel well but avoid the hospital because it could mean financial catastrophe.

For 10 years, Sue Riek suffered from back pain, but couldn't afford medical care.

When a mid-life divorce left her single and without health insurance, Riek started a home-business selling make-up on eBay to support herself and her two daughters.

Riek, who lived in Charlotte, North Carolina, didn't qualify for Medicaid. And she couldn't afford a $5,000 monthly insurance premium, said her eldest daughter, Kaytee Riek.

"I don't know if she felt trapped, but it was a constant in her life -- struggling outside the health care system to exist," her daughter said.

Riek took comfort in her faith and regularly attended church. Then one Sunday, she didn't show up.

The next day, September 3, 2007, her daughter received the call telling her that her 51-year-old mother died from undiagnosed heart disease -- a condition treatable with lifestyle changes, medication and certain medical procedures.

"I feel incredibly strongly that she would still be alive if she had been able to regularly see a doctor," said her daughter.

It has become lethal to be uninsured, said Woolhandler, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard.

"If you can get good primary care for your high blood pressure, your high cholesterol, diabetes -- those don't have to be lethal conditions," she said. "If you fail to get good ongoing primary care, you may end up with complications and even death."

The ranks of the uninsured have grown, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. It says the number of Americans without health insurance rose to 46.3 million last year, up from 45.7 million in 2007. The percentage of the uninsured remained at 15.4 percent.

Young adults are more likely to be uninsured. Elizabeth Machol, 25, told her mother she felt tired. She had just moved into a new apartment in Santa Rosa, California, with her boyfriend and thought the fatigue was from the move and her cat Bert, who would keep her up at night.

Her mother, Marlena Machol told her to go to the doctor's office, but Machol was reluctant. Machol worked at a movie theater and didn't have health insurance. Her parents were still paying her medical bills from a previous condition and she was worried about the cost.

A few days after their phone conversation, Machol collapsed in the bathroom. She never regained consciousness.

One day after her 26th birthday, Machol was declared brain dead.

After signing papers to donate her organs, her parents kissed her face, held her hands and said goodbye to the daughter who had played the violin, organized her own fashion show and taught neighborhood kids how to swim. The coroner's office could not determine the cause of death.

Six years after her death on September 22, 2003, her family wonders if things would've been different had she not feared the cost of going to the hospital.

"Maybe they would've found out what's wrong," her mother said. "I don't know if that would've saved her, but it would've been a chance to. There are people like Elizabeth -- young people who are starting out in life and they don't have options."

You do realize that just because you keep saying the world is flat we all do know that it's round.:rolleyes:

This is why I have such a distaste sometimes for Conservatives. You know well it is 100% documented (I've posted the independent studies at least a half dozen times) that tens of thousands of AMERICANS die every single year due to not having healthcare coverage.

And the pure Fraud & Trickery that you try and use saying people can go to an emergency room if they are sick enough is just disgusting.

You really... seriously... think we will believe for one second that a single mother with 2 kids making say 19K per year (just over the $18310 poverty line) that isn't eligible for a state welfare medical card and doesn't have insurance at work has adaquate healthcare because if her or her kids get sick enough they can go to a $600 per hour emergency room and then have her wages garnished because she obviously can't pay the bill?

You seriously believe anyone in here is that dumb? WOW!:eek:

45,000 American deaths associated with lack of insurance
September 18, 2009
By Madison Park
CNN

Story Highlights: Study calculated that the uninsured have a 40 percent higher risk of death

(CNN) -- A freelance cameraman's appendix ruptured and by the time he was admitted to surgery, it was too late. A self-employed mother of two is found dead in bed from undiagnosed heart disease. A 26-year-old aspiring fashion designer collapsed in her bathroom after feeling unusually fatigued for days.

Paul Hannum's family members say he probably would've gone to the hospital earlier if he had had health insurance.

What all three of these people have in common is that they experienced symptoms, but didn't seek care because they were uninsured and they worried about the hospital expense, according to their families. All three died.

Research released this week in the American Journal of Public Health estimates that 45,000 deaths per year in the United States are associated with the lack of health insurance. If a person is uninsured, "it means you're at mortal risk," said one of the authors, Dr. David Himmelstein, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School.

The researchers examined government health surveys from more than 9,000 people aged 17 to 64, taken from 1986-1994, and then followed up through 2000. They determined that the uninsured have a 40 percent higher risk of death than those with private health insurance as a result of being unable to obtain necessary medical care. The researchers then extrapolated the results to census data from 2005 and calculated there were 44,789 deaths associated with lack of health insurance.

For years, Paul Hannum didn't have health insurance while he worked as a freelance cameraman in southern California.

One Sunday, Hannum complained of a stomachache which alarmed his pregnant fiancée, Sarah Percy. "He wasn't a complainer," she said. "He's the type of guy who, if he got a cold, he'll power through it. I never had known him to complain about anything."

Hannum thought he had a stomach flu or food poisoning from bad chicken. On Monday, his brother saw him looking ashen and urged him to go to the hospital. "He had a little girl on the way," his older brother Curtis Hannum said. "He didn't want the added burden of an ER visit to hang on their finances. He thought 'I'll just wait,' and he got worse and worse."

By the time Hannum got to the hospital and was admitted to surgery, it was too late.

Paul Hannum, 45, died on Thursday, August 3, 2006, from a ruptured appendix. His daughter, Cameron was born two months later.

Other studies have indicated that the uninsured are at greater risk of mortality than the insured. A 2007 study from The American Cancer Society found that uninsured cancer patients are 1.6 times more likely to die within five years of their diagnosis than those with private insurance. In 2002, the Institute of Medicine estimated that lack of health insurance caused about 18,000 deaths every year.

The latest findings come amid the fierce debate over health care reform in the U.S.

Two authors of the Harvard study, Himmelstein and Dr. Steffie Woolhandler are co-founders of the Physicians for a National Health Program, which supports government-backed "single-payer" health coverage.

The National Center for Policy Analysis, which backs "free-market" health care reform, calls the Harvard research flawed.

"The findings in this research are based on faulty methodology and the death risk is significantly overstated," said John C. Goodman, the president of the NCPA in a statement. But Goodman did note there is "a genuine crisis of the uninsured in this country."

The lead author of the Harvard study, Dr. Andrew Wilper said he's confident in his and his colleagues' estimates. "It's consistent with the vast body of literature that has found reasonably similar findings," said Wilper, instructor in internal medicine at the University of Washington. "There's broad agreement in the health literature regarding this point."

Wilper said there is often fear from those, including his own grandmother, who don't feel well but avoid the hospital because it could mean financial catastrophe.

For 10 years, Sue Riek suffered from back pain, but couldn't afford medical care.

When a mid-life divorce left her single and without health insurance, Riek started a home-business selling make-up on eBay to support herself and her two daughters.

Riek, who lived in Charlotte, North Carolina, didn't qualify for Medicaid. And she couldn't afford a $5,000 monthly insurance premium, said her eldest daughter, Kaytee Riek.

"I don't know if she felt trapped, but it was a constant in her life -- struggling outside the health care system to exist," her daughter said.

Riek took comfort in her faith and regularly attended church. Then one Sunday, she didn't show up.

The next day, September 3, 2007, her daughter received the call telling her that her 51-year-old mother died from undiagnosed heart disease -- a condition treatable with lifestyle changes, medication and certain medical procedures.

"I feel incredibly strongly that she would still be alive if she had been able to regularly see a doctor," said her daughter.

It has become lethal to be uninsured, said Woolhandler, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard.

"If you can get good primary care for your high blood pressure, your high cholesterol, diabetes -- those don't have to be lethal conditions," she said. "If you fail to get good ongoing primary care, you may end up with complications and even death."

The ranks of the uninsured have grown, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. It says the number of Americans without health insurance rose to 46.3 million last year, up from 45.7 million in 2007. The percentage of the uninsured remained at 15.4 percent.

Young adults are more likely to be uninsured. Elizabeth Machol, 25, told her mother she felt tired. She had just moved into a new apartment in Santa Rosa, California, with her boyfriend and thought the fatigue was from the move and her cat Bert, who would keep her up at night.

Her mother, Marlena Machol told her to go to the doctor's office, but Machol was reluctant. Machol worked at a movie theater and didn't have health insurance. Her parents were still paying her medical bills from a previous condition and she was worried about the cost.

A few days after their phone conversation, Machol collapsed in the bathroom. She never regained consciousness.

One day after her 26th birthday, Machol was declared brain dead.

After signing papers to donate her organs, her parents kissed her face, held her hands and said goodbye to the daughter who had played the violin, organized her own fashion show and taught neighborhood kids how to swim. The coroner's office could not determine the cause of death.

Six years after her death on September 22, 2003, her family wonders if things would've been different had she not feared the cost of going to the hospital.

"Maybe they would've found out what's wrong," her mother said. "I don't know if that would've saved her, but it would've been a chance to. There are people like Elizabeth -- young people who are starting out in life and they don't have options."

The study is bogus. Every single person in the study had access to health care but chose for one reason or another not to access it. The study exists simply because no one can actually point to anyone who does not have access to health care so they must make statistical allusions.

Every single person in this country either:

1) can pay cash for health care
2) can buy insurance for health care or get it from their employer
3) can take advantage of a gov plan for health care

There is no fourth option. Everyone can see that except a few of you.

Werbung:
Back