Prove that God doesn't exist.

Does God exist?

• Yes.

Votes: 63 59.4%
  • No.

Votes: 44 41.5%

• Total voters
If subtle, nuanced religion dominated the world, it would be a better place and I would not be here arguing. The sad truth is that decent, understated religion is numerically negligible. Most believers echo Robertson, Falwell or Haggard, Osama bin Laden or Ayatollah Khomeini. These are not straw men. The world needs to face them.
Classic atheist reasoning - "all religious people are extremists." I'm from Massachusetts. I live down the street from a Catholic church. There's an Eastern Orthodox a few miles away. At school in New Hampshire there's a Presbyterian church that's within a stone's throw of the dormitory. None of these people are extremists. I've visited several of the states in the so-called "Bible-Belt" and while they are more given to wearing their religions on their sleeves. When they asked me if I'd accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior I said that I hadn't and that was that.

Yes, there are extremists. But they get a lot more press because they're more interesting than the more populous, quietly religious masses. What's going to make a headline: "Muslim Extremists Set Off Car Bomb, Kill 8" or "50 Attend Church, Sermon Delivered, Much Praying"?

Furthermore, it seems that The atheists among us are too ready to just sit back and allow society to give special respect to faith, and it goes along with society’s bad habit of labelling small children with the religion of their parents. You’d never speak of a “Marxist child” or a “Captilist child”. So why give religion a free pass to indoctrinate helpless children? There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.

Trying to take away a person's faith is rather like trying to take away a person's alcohol. Maybe they'd be better off without it (emphasis on maybe) but how do you suppose they feel? Prohibiting alcohol incensed the drinking population of the United States; a similar prohibition on religion would be even worse.

Werbung:
Gotta run for now. I promise I'll be back later to respond to any more posts on this thread. Thanks y'all, it's been real!!!

"Why must things that exist have a purpose beyond the empirical physical world in which we live in?"
Because they do. Why else would we come into this world with a desire to know more than what is just necessary to survive and reproduce? Why do we have compassion for other people and even for animals and creatures that have nothing to do with our sustenance or survival? We obviously have a greater purpose than just to exist.

Everything that humans do in life boils down to surviving and reproducing. That we've progressed from beyond the basic level is not proof of the existence of god.

This thread has gone to 14 pages in a day, and i haven't seen any of it. I'm not saying their is not a god, and looking at the world today it seems likely there is something more to life than just living, but it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't. All I know is that all the world religions are made for man, for the needs of man, BY MAN. If there is a God, or something after this world, we have no idea knowing what it is like, and we will only find out when we die.

"Everything that humans do in life boils down to surviving and reproducing. That we've progressed from beyond the basic level is not proof of the existence of god."
--That doesn't answer the questions. What does debating about God on the internet have to do with survival? What does reading novels have to do with survival? What does enjoying music have to do with survival? Why do some of us feel guilt after killing a roach? Why do so many people fall in love with members of the opposite sex? There's obviously more to life than mere survival and reproduction. However, I know this thread is long and you probably haven't read it all. I was not saying that these thing prove the existence of God. I was saying that they prove that there's more to lif than just survival and reproduction--that things have a greater purpose than just survival. Why else would we have progressed beyond the basic level? Why else do we have the desire to learn more about different things when we're not hungry or starving to death? With that said Sgt., we were formed, created, or came to be out of purpose--THIS is what states God exists.

"This thread has gone to 14 pages in a day, and i haven't seen any of it. I'm not saying their is not a god, and looking at the world today it seems likely there is something more to life than just living, but it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't. All I know is that all the world religions are made for man, for the needs of man, BY MAN. If there is a God, or something after this world, we have no idea knowing what it is like, and we will only find out when we die."
--Agreed! "By the unseen acts of God, we can come to know more about him"--somewhere in the Book of Romans (this is just an example of logic here. I'm not trying to push the Bible on anyone).

--Sublime, no one's trying to prove the validity of any particular religion. We're only debating whether or not God exists.

"Yes I know. I'm saying all religions are man made drivel."
--Hope you don't think I was trying to be rude to you mate!!! I was just making sure you knew what had been discussed in this long, long thread.

Yeah I think God exists but any further explanation could get me in trouble with both sides so I'll end it on that note. :cool:

-Castle

Werbung:
Back