a question for the atheists

I have had a number of epiphanies ("A comprehension or perception of reality by means of a sudden intuitive realization"), where I am overwhelmed by the physics of the universe and our conscious awareness of it. Of course many religious people have similar things too. But I attribute the feeling to a recently discovered section of the brain where meditation, prayer, etc. has been found. We humans are endowed with a mystic or spiritual area in the hardware of our neural wiring.

In short, the potential for spiritual belief is wired into our brain. Perhaps this is an evolutionary survival factor to keep our selfish genes from being too selfish.

Another explanation for this spiritual section of the brain is a pathway to communicate with "God". In other words, you are able to have a sudden, intuitive, metaphysical communication with higher power we call God because we have a built in "cell phone" to God. This would explain the power of prayer and other epiphanies that seem like our imagination, but come across much stronger.

Werbung:
did I state that it was original ?

of what significance is royal society's view of anything ?

Oh dear

The royal society represents the greatest fellowship of scientists and engineers on earth

But I suppose you wouldn't expect someone who believes in winged men to know something like that

Over the years, I've received criticism from some of my Christian and Jewish brothers and sisters for embracing the belief that theories like "big bang" and "evolution" are not necessarily inconsistent with a belief in God. I contend that since the Old and New Testaments were written to a great extent by human beings, the possibility of errors is very probable. I have no problem myself in accepting the possibility that God created the universe via "big bang" nor that He allowed development of many species via evolution. I have many many questions in the field of evolution that result from what I see as inconsistencies in logic and supporting data and rationale. Therefore, I don't accept Darwinism exactly as he stated the theory. However, I have an open mind on many of the details. I see no conceptual problem in accepting most science and a belief in God as being compatible.
If you put on your religious hat, I have no problem with most of what you say. If you put on your science hat, I would say that since there is no measurable impact on the science, then the concept of God should be ignored.

In an undergrad lit course we spent a couple of weeks on "the Bible as literature". The professor said that before a couple thousand years ago writers of most cultures had a difficult time writing about abstract concepts, so they often spoke in stories and metaphors.

Where I would disagree is on Darwinism. My view is that, yes there are gaps in the timeline of evolution, but these gaps are continually being filled in, so invoking God now is quite premature. As far as abiogenesis, there is quite interesting new research on how simpler types of cells can more easily arise from a primordial soup. Also there are newer discoveries showing how the complexity of an eyeball can slowly evolve in simple steps. (The eye is a major counterexample of creationists.)
The key concept in your above paragraph is the absolute need for a culturally-enforced set of behavioral rules! Moral-equivalency is NOT an option! Such rules of behavior can be enforced legally in some cases, and via cultural pressure/ostracization in others. I have serious issues with the societal norms presently deemed "acceptable" in the USA by most media, politicans, business executives, and individual citizens. If you were asked what ONE thing could be done to solve most of our nation's problems, the answer is simple, but not easily accomplished. If all citizens were ingrained in the homes, schools, theatres, etc. with behavioral rules that demand honesty, self-reliance, civility, etc., most of our nation's ills could be reduced enormously. Our government obviously believes that human nature can be modified, as many politicians have implemented anti-smoking campaigns, anti-obesity campaigns, cultural-sensitivity campaigns, etc. IF such cultural modifications really work, why not campaigns that enforce personal responsibility, self-reliance, honesty, civility, etc., and enforce those behaviors in our media, our courts, our politics, our businesses, etc?
I think if behavioral rules are ever to be effective it should be done very early where there is more leverage on the kids mind before later peer pressure takes precedence. That depends a lot on the preschool period. I would think the majority of parents would not buy into that. However, outside of home there has to be no trace of religion. If the rules are too stifling people will ignore everything. Even abstinence campaigns failed. I don't think a program like that would be desirable. If a governmental system is set up for that kind of mind control, more serious brainwashing may be next. Remember that there were blatant lies in the nomination and presidential campaigns.
"Good" societal norms used to be enforced on the basis of Christian principles. I argue that MOST of those religious principles were and are good ones worthy of obedience. In any case, the cultural decline in the US results to a great degree from a corrupt concept often called "moral-equivalency". If the left believes that gay marriage and abortions are morally "Good", then the left obviously believes that morality is a concept that can be stated in law and enforced!
I see some problems here. If I am allowed to speak for the left, I don't consider that we think of gay marriage and abortion as morally "Good". It's neither good nor bad. It just is. Gay marriage won't directly harm others. Sure some people would be offended, but that's their problem. As far as abortions, I am a male and have no right to make judgments on what women do with their bodies. It's just none of my business. It would be like the Taliban in assigning my codes to women.

I don't understand your reasoning that the left believes morality can be stated in law. Actions not stated in law are allowed and presumably moral. Roe vs. Wade, constitutional amendments, etc. does explicitly give people certain rights, but some groups believe Roe vs. Wade or the lack of gun control, etc. to be immoral and other groups feel the opposite. So it seems that morality in some cases is subjective.
The left's claim, therefore, that the enforcement of a Christian view of "morality" is un-Constitutional is hypocrisy! The question here is "Whose concept of morality is worthy of societal enforcement"? I love debating that concept.
Thoughts?
I don't understand what you mean by the Christian view of "morality" and the nature of the hypocrisy. Surely you don't mean legislating the ten commandments. Most are quite connected with religion. Only two of them are secular law. So, what do you mean by the Christian view?

Another explanation for this spiritual section of the brain is a pathway to communicate with "God". In other words, you are able to have a sudden, intuitive, metaphysical communication with higher power we call God because we have a built in "cell phone" to God. This would explain the power of prayer and other epiphanies that seem like our imagination, but come across much stronger.
"Cell phone to God" :) If I were trying to talk you out of spiritual connections, I sure gave you an example that backfired. Well, to continue the metaphor, my cell phone keeps saying "no signal". When my cell phone does ring (maybe once a year), the message is from a local area network, not a wide area network.

Oh and BTW Einstein was an atheist

Wrong again.

Even the hard left Time Magazine and Wiki know it, along with lots of others...how could you not? Rhetorical question....:LOL:

And he strongly rejected atheism. As such, you would hate, despise, and find him a fool....funny you thinking Einstein a fool....just like you think beleivers are fools....will you ever learn???
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1607298,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Albert_Einstein

May God forgive you your foolish beliefs.

Merry Christmas...and thanks be to our Lord Jesus Christ!!!

Wrong again.

Even the hard left Time Magazine and Wiki know it, along with lots of others...how could you not? Rhetorical question....:LOL:

And he strongly rejected atheism. As such, you would hate, despise, and find him a fool....funny you thinking Einstein a fool....just like you think beleivers are fools....will you ever learn???

May God forgive you your foolish beliefs.

Merry Christmas...and thanks be to our Lord Jesus Christ!!!

From the Time Magazine article you cited, this is Einstein's most definitive answer to the question, "Do you believe in God?"
Einstein said:
"I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals himself in the lawful harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

From Wikipedia concerning Spinoza:
Wikipedia said:
Spinoza's system also envisages a God that does not rule over the universe by providence, but a God which itself is the deterministic system of which everything in nature is a part. Thus, according to this understanding of Spinoza's system, God would be the natural world and have no personality.

For Spinoza the whole of the natural universe is made of one substance, God, or, what's the same, Nature, and its modifications.

Any atheist physicists would agree with the essence of Spinoza, including me -- the natural world reveals a deterministic harmony. However I object to his use of the word "God" to explain his philosophy. That word has a different meaning to devout religious people such as you. If Spinoza just stuck with the more specific word "nature" there would be no confusion, and Spinoza may not have been excommunicated.

When you wish God to forgive Dawkins, you are obviously not referring to Einstein's God who isn't concerned with the "fate and the doings" of Dawkins".

From the Time Magazine article you cited, this is Einstein's most definitive answer to the question, "Do you believe in God?"

From Wikipedia concerning Spinoza:

Any atheist physicists would agree with the essence of Spinoza, including me -- the natural world reveals a deterministic harmony. However I object to his use of the word "God" to explain his philosophy. That word has a different meaning to devout religious people such as you. If Spinoza just stuck with the more specific word "nature" there would be no confusion, and Spinoza may not have been excommunicated.

When you wish God to forgive Dawkins, you are obviously not referring to Einstein's God who isn't concerned with the "fate and the doings" of Dawkins".

Point is my friend....he believed in God. May not be the God of the Bible, but he believed in God. Agreed?

Lagboltz: Forgive me, as I'm once again going to be selective about to which of your comments I respond.

I think if behavioral rules are ever to be effective it should be done very early where there is more leverage on the kids mind before later peer pressure takes precedence. That depends a lot on the preschool period. I would think the majority of parents would not buy into that. However, outside of home there has to be no trace of religion. If the rules are too stifling people will ignore everything. Even abstinence campaigns failed. I don't think a program like that would be desirable. If a governmental system is set up for that kind of mind control, more serious brainwashing may be next. Remember that there were blatant lies in the nomination and presidential campaigns.

I'm in full agreement with you that behavioral rules need to be instilled early in childhood. I didn't attend kindergarten, but attended Bible School both before and after elementary school. In elementary school, we were regularly exposed to Aesop's Fables, as well as other similar stories aimed at developing good character. Since I was raised in a small town, and most children received the same kind of schooling, the peer pressure exerted by us and on us later in life was fairly "universal" among us. If that can be accomplished in a small community with schooling, it can be achieved if practiced and enforced legally and/or socially on a National scale.

I think you may not have expressed exactly what you intended when you said, "outside the home there should be no trace of relgion"?? If you meant that there should be no forced religious instruction or required involvement of citizens in religion, I agree. Obviously, the expression of one's religion as an individual and as part of non-governmental groups is a Right expressed in our Constitution, and can therefore not be publically "removed without a trace".

If such moral instruction as I described above develops more responsible citizens, I don't see it as "brainwashing"; certainly it's no more "brainwashing" than instruction aimed at convincing children that abortion doesn't harm anyone, or that a gay-pride parade shouldn't be criticized, or that "whites" can be blamed as an entire "race" for certain past, National ills????

I see some problems here. If I am allowed to speak for the left, I don't consider that we think of gay marriage and abortion as morally "Good". It's neither good nor bad. It just is. Gay marriage won't directly harm others. Sure some people would be offended, but that's their problem. As far as abortions, I am a male and have no right to make judgments on what women do with their bodies. It's just none of my business. It would be like the Taliban in assigning my codes to women.

We should probably not get into a debate on abortion, for that seldom turns out well; plus, I've taken a "like" to you. ;) My comments about abortion are intended to provide you insight into my Conservative thought processl

I'd argue that abortion is indeed "bad", and does harm others, since it's the taking of a human life. I'd also say that abortion cheapens "life" itself in our culture. Making the life or death of a child a simple matter of one woman's choice to give a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" as to whether that life lives or dies makes a huge cultural impression on our children; not a good impression! While women on the left claim a "Right" to abort a child for their "financial convenience", I've not found one who would allow the father to pay only 1/2 the price of abortion if the mother wanted to bear the child..... for his financial convenience, you see? The present mother-father structure of Rights and Responsibilities doesn't fit with an equal-protection application of the law.

FYI, although I used Gay marriage as an example in my last post, I don't argue against gay or lesbian unions, including all the legal protections given to hetero couples. I don't like the term "marriage" applied to that union, but I suppose it's just semantics. However, I totally reject any effort to force religious leaders to perform gay-lesbian unions/marriages if their religion rejects the concept. I also argue that strict rules for child adoptions be enforced for both hetero-couples as well as gay/lesbian-couples.

To those of us who believe that abortion is "murder", the issue cannot be dismissed by us as being "neither good nor bad". Nevertheless, the societal pressures placed on us by our present government, the leftwing media, our schools, and leftwing judges, demonizes and effectively ostracizes us for our belief. That demonization and ostracization is not unlike that which was once prevalent toward gays/lesbians, persons of color, and dare I say it, "Atheists". ;) I'd argue that irresposible mothers and fathers who'd kill rather than bear, raise, and support their children are far more worthy of societal disdain than those of us who support life and personal responsibility, wouldn't you? Your comparison of anti-abortion law to the culture of the "Taliban" doesn't compute. Women in our nation, unlike nations run by Islamic terrorists, have a "freedom of choice" when it comes to birth control, and certainly have a choice to either have unprotected sex or not have sex at all. If an irresponsible driver kills a pedestrian due to the driver's carelessness, the driver is held legally responsible. If an irresponsible male impregnates a female, he's presently liable for child-support if the child is allowed to be born. The male has no choice in whether the child is aborted or born, but he's personally responsible for his actions financially in either case. A woman's responsibility if impregnated in our society is simply to decide what's in her best interest socially or financially, and doing whatever she wishes. That doesn't sound like "personal responsibility" to me.

I don't understand your reasoning that the left believes morality can be stated in law. Actions not stated in law are allowed and presumably moral. Roe vs. Wade, constitutional amendments, etc. does explicitly give people certain rights, but some groups believe Roe vs. Wade or the lack of gun control, etc. to be immoral and other groups feel the opposite. So it seems that morality in some cases is subjective.

Morality is certainly subjective, especially in the case of abortion in the eyes of many. In Roe v. Wade, the US Supreme Court "constructed" a Right that does not exist in our Constitution, effectively creating "Law". Poorly-written and poorly-interpreted anti-discrimination laws have in fact legalized discrimination against whites and white males in particular. If a law can be written or interpreted as requiring the prioritzation of a specific sex, a specific skin color, or a specific nation of origin, the Congressional and the Judicial branches of government are effectively writing such leftwing views of morality into law. Regardless of what some pundits and politicans and leftist judges may say, there is an absolute Right to keep and bear arms stated in the Constitution. Those who seek to ignore that Right, obviously believe that guns are bad, and they seek to not only legislate their concept of "good" and "bad", but to ignore our Constitution while doing so.

I don't understand what you mean by the Christian view of "morality" and the nature of the hypocrisy. Surely you don't mean legislating the ten commandments. Most are quite connected with religion. Only two of them are secular law. So, what do you mean by the Christian view?

You're right, I'm not suggesting that all 10 Commandments be written into law, for as you say, a few of them are laws already, and several others apply strictly to the practice of religion. What I was referring to was the historical, American-Christian view of "good" and "bad" when it comes to human traits such as "personal responsibility", civility toward all who treat you civilly, a strong work-ethic, respect for women by men (and vice-versa), and above all, the responsibility of each individual and family for its own welfare and well-being..... not unlike Aesop's fable of the Grasshopper and the Ant. The left writes laws that legislate in favor of the irresponsible Ant while punishing the Grasshopper.

Personally, I have had several experiences in my life where I felt the presence of a divine power guiding me through difficult situations - so I believe that God can and does exist in some form on earth in our daily lives. But for us scientists, You have to feel it to believe it. Stories from ancient books hold no credence to me, and religions are just an organizations that have evolved over the years. Most people need a religion to put a ritual to God.

Yes you do have to feel it and it's a personal experience. Talk to anyone who has had an awakening and they will tell you the same thing, but you have to be open to it, which you seem to be. :)

"Cell phone to God" :) If I were trying to talk you out of spiritual connections, I sure gave you an example that backfired. Well, to continue the metaphor, my cell phone keeps saying "no signal". When my cell phone does ring (maybe once a year), the message is from a local area network, not a wide area network.

You said previously,
I have had a number of epiphanies ("A comprehension or perception of reality by means of a sudden intuitive realization"), where I am overwhelmed by the physics of the universe and our conscious awareness of it. Of course many religious people have similar things too. But I attribute the feeling to a recently discovered section of the brain where meditation, prayer, etc. has been found. We humans are endowed with a mystic or spiritual area in the hardware of our neural wiring.

I suspect you are looking for a "sky God" or some grand power that sits like the all powerful Zeus. The only way I know God is through that section of the brain where meditation, prayer, etc. is found. I can envision a God that exists all around us - like cell phone signals - undetectable by any of the human senses (except a 6th sense). No machine can measure it. The only way you can know God is through that part of your brain you were born with to detect or receive messages like epiphanies.

I can only tell you were I found God. As I explained, I find no inspiration nor truth in classic religion. However, God may exist in many different forms and functions, but I have no idea what those might be.

Disclaimer

The above is the product of imagination

It has no basis in fact whatsoever

I can imagine an evil genius who made the world and to be fair it would match the outcome far better than the ludicrous notion of a loving god making AIDS and cancer

Werbung:
You said previously,

I suspect you are looking for a "sky God" or some grand power that sits like the all powerful Zeus. The only way I know God is through that section of the brain where meditation, prayer, etc. is found. I can envision a God that exists all around us - like cell phone signals - undetectable by any of the human senses (except a 6th sense). No machine can measure it. The only way you can know God is through that part of your brain you were born with to detect or receive messages like epiphanies.

I can only tell you were I found God. As I explained, I find no inspiration nor truth in classic religion. However, God may exist in many different forms and functions, but I have no idea what those might be.

Glad to see that I can find someone with a similar understanding of "GOD" as I have.

A personal and universal God, far beyond, far more all encompassing as the "images" of God that man made religions glorify.

Back